Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call ...

2018 MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call ...

Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:42 pm

Hi HaikalS -

Seeing as you are Asia-based, you won't get the benefit of all of the 75K bennies, but the extra 50K in your account would find a use I am sure. And you could get flights cheaper than buying them outright.

And if you do the math, 66K EQM = 132K RDM. 75K EQM = 167.5K + 50K = 217.5 RDM. So the extra flight means an additional 85K.

Sounds like it would be worth it.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi HaikalS -

Seeing as you are Asia-based, you won't get the benefit of all of the 75K bennies, but the extra 50K in your account would find a use I am sure. And you could get flights cheaper than buying them outright.

And if you do the math, 66K EQM = 132K RDM. 75K EQM = 167.5K + 50K = 217.5 RDM. So the extra flight means an additional 85K.

HaikalS says he is at 66K and 9K from 75K. If he has flown 66K on AS only metal which he must have done to only need 9K more for MVP75K then why would he not get all the "bennies?" If he has partner EQM then he would need 90K AS + Partner miles for MVPG75K. There is no mention of that.

If you are doing the math correctly you can't assume HaikalS has had MVPG for all of 2018. That has not been specified. He may have reached MVPG this year for the first time so no Elite Bonus on the first 20K, 50% Elite Bonus on the next 20K and 100% Elite bonus from 40K upwards.

Also, the 125% MVPG75K Elite Bonus doesn't kick in until you have reached it. Earning 75K EQM on AS metal only, will produce 168.5K RDM plus the 50K RDM Bonus only if renewing 75K as a 75K.

We know that as an MVPG at 66K, 9K additional EQM will provide MVPG75K Elite status, produce 18K additional RDM, and receive a 50K RDM bonus. The flights required would provide 58K additional RDM, not 85K.

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:16 am

HI James -

For starters --- He lives in Asia. Not likely to use the Lounge passes or the GGUs. Nor is he likely to avail himself of the enhanced upgrade priority given a 75K.

I am guessing that the only plus for him is the extra 50K, plus the added mileage he will get next year, assuming his travel patterns are the same. It is next year's numbers I was referring to.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:14 am

HI James -

For starters --- He lives in Asia. Not likely to use the Lounge passes or the GGUs. Nor is he likely to avail himself of the enhanced upgrade priority given a 75K.
If he lives in Asia and doesn't fly AS then he will need 24K more EQM (90K AS + Partners) for MVKG75K not 9K more. He would need 9K more EQM if and only if he already has 66K Alaska Only EQM. Therefore, the rest is moot.

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by HaikalS
Made MVP Gold this year... and 9K away from 75K.

Have one medium haul trip left for the year - do you think worth taking a detour to make 75K?
Hi HaikalS -

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
HaikalS says he is at 66K and 9K from 75K. If he has flown 66K on AS only metal which he must have done to only need 9K more for MVP75K then why would he not get all the "bennies?" If he has partner EQM then he would need 90K AS + Partner miles for MVPG75K. There is no mention of that.

If you are doing the math correctly you can't assume HaikalS has had MVPG for all of 2018. That has not been specified. He may have reached MVPG this year for the first time so no Elite Bonus on the first 20K, 50% Elite Bonus on the next 20K and 100% Elite bonus from 40K upwards.

Also, the 125% MVPG75K Elite Bonus doesn't kick in until you have reached it. Earning 75K EQM on AS metal only, will produce 168.5K RDM plus the 50K RDM Bonus only if renewing 75K as a 75K.

We know that as an MVPG at 66K, 9K additional EQM will provide MVPG75K Elite status, produce 18K additional RDM, and receive a 50K RDM bonus. The flights required would provide 58K additional RDM, not 85K.

James
HI James -

I am guessing that the only plus for him is the extra 50K, plus the added mileage he will get next year, assuming his travel patterns are the same. It is next year's numbers I was referring to.
If he lives in Asia and doesn't fly AS then he will need 24K more EQM (90K AS + Partners) for MVKG75K not 9K more. He would need 9K more EQM if and only if he already has 66K Alaska Only EQM. Therefore, the rest is moot.

James
This is like reading a bad game of "Telephone"!

He actually never said he was 9,000 miles short of 75,000 miles, he said he made MVPG and was 9k short of 75K. In this context, he is likely referring to AS MVPG 75K status.

So if that's the case, I would say YES, do it! 9k is easily achievable, whether on partner metal in Asia, or on AS metal here in the States.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This is like reading a bad game of "Telephone"!

He actually never said he was 9,000 miles short of 75,000 miles, he said he made MVPG and was 9k short of 75K. In this context, he is likely referring to AS MVPG 75K status.

So if that's the case, I would say YES, do it! 9k is easily achievable, whether on partner metal in Asia, or on AS metal here in the States.
I don't disagree that MVPG75K is easily achievable. Period! Perhaps he was likely referining to MVPG75K Staus. I was basing my my analysis on @Orwaid stating he had 66K AS EQM. [/QUOTE]

I will leave it at that.

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
My slowest year in a while. I'll mostly be on partners in 2019 so 75K will mostly be a waste especially being this far away.

I beat MVPG by 869 miles on AS+partners.
Without partners I would be short by 2K on AS metal alone
Segment wise I would have been 1/3 short of MVP.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
My slowest year in a while. I'll mostly be on partners in 2019 so 75K will mostly be a waste especially being this far away.

I beat MVPG by 869 miles on AS+partners.
Without partners I would be short by 2K on AS metal alone
Segment wise I would have been 1/3 short of MVP.
I admire those who achieve status solely on segments. I would have just recently reached MVPG on segments, but have 118K AS + Partner miles.

Enjoy your Partner flights in 2019.

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
I don't disagree that MVPG75K is easily achievable. Period! Perhaps he was likely referining to MVPG75K Staus. I was basing my my analysis on @Orwaid stating he had 66K AS EQM.

I will leave it at that.

James[/QUOTE]

Sorry - my choice of wording led to so much confusion!

Yes, I was referring to the 75K status. I have actually gotten 81xxx miles credited to Alaska but mainly partner metal (mainly CX). (I "complete" the tiers in Cathay's program is ~5-6months so use AS to credit the remainder) I'm based in Asia and as rightly mentioned above I guess the only benefits are the extra points - this is a good point.

I had done the calculation of the cost of the detour vs. the extra miles I would get for the flights I have planned for 2019 - it looks like it would come down to about 2.9cents per mile... but given my work there may be a few unplanned long-haul flights that would make it go down to 2.1-2.5cents per mile.

Given the above probably not worth it as you could just buy points outright at a cheaper price

Thanks all for helping me think through it
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Success. Knocked out 75K today for this year. It was a big challenge for me as I only had a few thousand miles down on AS from early this year then spent through August all on AA (flying SEA-CLT). In September as my flying was moving back to Dallas, when I projected the miles I needed on AS I was about 10K short of being able to make 75K yet could make AA EXP with ease. I chose to take the harder AS route but more rewarding in the end at least (miles and operational performance). I did a SEA-BOS-SEA mileage run and managed to maintain a very active work commute to get over the top. I was only 3000 EQM away from AA Plat Pro and didn't even go for that. My objective is to not have to fly AA at all next year (revenue at least), so why push for status?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hit 75K over Nebraska last night--not bad, when most of that was the last 9 months. Of course, could have been 100K if they hadn't started playing seat roulette.

Not sure what I'm doing next year...
DrAlex likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bbison
Hit 75K over Nebraska last night--not bad, when most of that was the last 9 months. Of course, could have been 100K if they hadn't started playing seat roulette.

Not sure what I'm doing next year...
Did you retain your current UA, AA, and WN status as well? That's a lot of flying...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Did you retain your current UA, AA, and WN status as well? That's a lot of flying...
Only Gold on AA, but yes on the rest. Plus about a dozen flights on DL/HA/B6.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan

This was updated on Tuesday when my flights over the weekend posted. I flew DAL-SFO on a rebooked F fare due to my Sunday home flight being cancelled and am waiting for that to post so I'd finally be at the 75K limit.

Would the rebooked flight give issues where it wouldn't count? Because I'm surprised it has yet to post to this day.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by mfolf

This was updated on Tuesday when my flights over the weekend posted. I flew DAL-SFO on a rebooked F fare due to my Sunday home flight being cancelled and am waiting for that to post so I'd finally be at the 75K limit.

Would the rebooked flight give issues where it wouldn't count? Because I'm surprised it has yet to post to this day.
Does the flight still show in your reservations? I find mine post later in the evening around 8:00 pm the day the segment drops out. Regardless, the rebook should post like any other segment you have flown.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.