Don't want to be that guy

Old Mar 24, 17, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Question Don't want to be that guy

75K traveling with my family on vacation this weekend. All seated in PE. All on the same reservation. When can we board?
Old Mar 24, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: AS 75K
When PE is called. So far the order I hear the most is First, Gold/75K, MVP/Partner Elite, Premium Economy, General Boarding.
Old Mar 24, 17, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory View Post
When PE is called. So far the order I hear the most is First, Gold/75K, MVP/Partner Elite, Premium Economy, General Boarding.
Thanks, never flown PE before and didn't realize it had a category.
Old Mar 24, 17, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
With 75Ks. As far as I'm concerned, it's always fine for a group to board with the person with highest boarding priority in that group, irrespective of being in the same reservation.

The only exceptions might be split cabins (don't think it's cool for coach companions to board with someone in F) or very large groups ("very large" is in the eye of the beholder, but is certainly larger than a typical family of 3-5).
Old Mar 24, 17, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill View Post
With 75Ks. As far as I'm concerned, it's always fine for a group to board with the person with highest boarding priority in that group, irrespective of being in the same reservation.

The only exceptions might be split cabins (don't think it's cool for coach companions to board with someone in F) or very large groups ("very large" is in the eye of the beholder, but is certainly larger than a typical family of 3-5).
I have done that in the past with one person too especially on the same reservation. With my whole family (5) I don't know that it is the right thing to do. It is a Hawaii flight so I may see if others are doing it and follow suit. On a flight with business travelers I wouldn't want my family (inexperienced flyers) blocking folks that know how to get situated quickly.
Old Mar 24, 17, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM, AS MVPG, DL PM
My rule when travelling with my family is if we are all sitting together, we board with the other Golds. If we are not sitting together it's every person for them-self (except my wife, she always boards with me). Of course my kids are all adults and can board just fine on their own
Old Mar 24, 17, 9:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ashill View Post

As MVPG, I have asked the gate agent 2-3 times to see if the answer is consistent. Each time the response has been: "with Golds".
Old Mar 24, 17, 11:05 pm

Programs: Former Alaska MVP Gold 75K, NEXUS
I'd just ask that particular gate agent. There's not too much consistency in boarding groups on AS, AFAICT.
Old Mar 24, 17, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
You board with the the 75k's and your family boards with YOU. Period, End of story. Do not worry about this.
Old Mar 25, 17, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt View Post
You board with the the 75k's and your family boards with YOU. Period, End of story. Do not worry about this.
This. ^

I'd say asking the GA would be nice as well (as it just gives them a heads up).
Old Mar 25, 17, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, the points of view are helpful.
Old Mar 26, 17, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer View Post
On a flight with business travelers I wouldn't want my family (inexperienced flyers) blocking folks that know how to get situated quickly.
IMHO - business travelers are some of the WORST for gumming up the boarding process - they stand in the aisle while pulling out their paper, electronic device, head phones, etc !! They also sit in the very front of the plane - no one gets by them until (like a mother hen herding a dozen chicks) they rummage through all their carry-on items.

757 has the perfect solution - all the high maintenance passengers go left and all the rest are on the right !!

Brad is still nervous about aircraft - any aircraft with 200 or more passengers seems to scare him!
Old Mar 26, 17, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Kufat View Post
I'd just ask that particular gate agent. There's not too much consistency in boarding groups on AS, AFAICT.
Very doubtful a GA is going to wave off a 75K boarding group - I think the last time I was denied boarding was on a HA flt - bought a UA ticket to HI with a HA segment (OGG to HNL) - I was put in a penalty box until the entire plane was filled (including my seat) - then the GA searched for my RES - then they kicked off the person in my seat - then I got to board.

AS does some odd things - but I have never felt the disrespect HA has for passengers without a HA printed boarding pass.

Board early with CONFIDENCE !!
Old Mar 30, 17, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Alaska 75k, Marriott T
I hate the idea of being that guy too.

A couple of weeks ago we (family of 5) were in Spokane and were waiting when someone pushed ahead of us - the agent (who must have had great eyes...) saw the 75k on my boarding pass and put him back in line and asked for us. in that moment, I really didn't mind being "that" guy...
Old Mar 30, 17, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Kufat View Post
I don't think this is exclusive to AS.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: