Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Lots of availability to MUC

Just booked my condor flight to Germany. Lots of availability at lowest reward levels for nonstop SEA to MUC. Its a good time to book. 😎

Jiburi
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Glad to see it looks like they are going to survive.

We very much enjoyed our experience flying PDX>FRA in may.

Great mileage earning as well on the Business class tickets.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Looking forward to MUC nonstop, just wish they'll expand the seasonal window in future years.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I just noticed a blog post that raised my eyebrows:

Condor Customers Who Still Have Customer Service Vouchers Or Outstanding Debt Should Register With The Insolvency Administrator For Refunds

AFAIK it's the parent company Thomas Cook in bankruptcy and Condor is continuing operations. I can find nothing to confirm this.

Comments?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:08 am

From what I read, Condor is under a form of "Administration" or creditor protection under German law. Therefore, any debts it owes, including to consumers, may be voided unless that debt is registered with the insolvency administrator.

It seems some people are under the false impression that Condor business is operating under normal corporate control because its flight operations are continuing. Condor ownership needs to ultimately be transferred to a new party or be liquidated.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Exactly. They are targeting Feb/Mar 2020 to be purchased as their temporary government 6 month bridge loan comes to an end and they can’t survive without new investors.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Exactly. They are targeting Feb/Mar 2020 to be purchased as their temporary government 6 month bridge loan comes to an end and they can’t survive without new investors.
Why can't they survive without new investors? IIRC they were (are?) profitable. I've heard this before but I don't know the rationale behind it. Yes, you could argue that without TC as a travel agency, less people will fly Condor; however, Germans didn't use TC for bookings much anyway (less than 6% in 2018).
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by barabuski
Why can't they survive without new investors? IIRC they were (are?) profitable. I've heard this before but I don't know the rationale behind it. Yes, you could argue that without TC as a travel agency, less people will fly Condor; however, Germans didn't use TC for bookings much anyway (less than 6% in 2018).
Yes, they are profitable. However, the collapse of TC had also impact on Condor. As far as I remember the insolvency protection is needed to:
  • ensure that Condor is not liquidated during the TC insolvency process as Condor is still a legal entity of the TC group
  • ensure that the interim credit can be paid

However, this has some legal side effects in what needs to be done/requested by Condor.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by barabuski
Condor must be formally separated from TC, which means someone else must in one way or another becomes their owner (investor) and make acceptable arrangements to resolve both any pre-existing debt that may attribute to Condor and the bridge loan.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Buyers for Condor surface

Reuters is reporting that three potential suitors for Condor are expected to submit bids next week. They include private equity firm Apollo Global Management, Greybull, and Poland's LOT airline.

Apparently cuts have already begun in anticipation of a sale. Reuters says about 150 of 2,400 flight attendant jobs will be cut, in addition to an earlier 170 positions overall.

So we may know more about Condor's future in a week or two.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by robsaw
It seems some people are under the false impression that Condor business is operating under normal corporate control because its flight operations are continuing.
Also, we have to remember Alaska is not part of a global alliance, cannot force OALs to open up award space that doesn't exist, and will fight tooth and nail any effort to use revenue space on another carrier for rebooking in the event DE disappears/eliminates USA-Europe routes/etc. For travel dates beyond March/April, why sign up for a potential sh!tshow? Better to use other partners for travels beyond the next 2-3 months, even if an award costs more. Peace of mind has value, too.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
I'm planning on booking a December award in the next few days since it's my only real option to get to Europe/UK from the west coast. Dang!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
German media is reporting that LOT will purchase Condor

Last edited by Scrooge McDuck; Jan 24, 2020 at 2:21 am Reason: updating link
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I hope LOT continues with the Alaska Airlines partnership
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Technically the Polish Aviation Group is buying them which owns LOT and a few other subsidiaries. This gives them more flexibility than just merging all of Condor’s assets into LOT. They are expecting to get through the regulatory hoops by April and in the meantime we will see what changes they make to the route structure. Most likely they will keep the brands separate for now and most of Condor’s network would not work by simply shifting the main hub to Warsaw. Guess we will also have to see the competitive response by LH and others to see how successful this investment will be for PAG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.