Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Excessive Hold Times for MVPG Reservations Line?

Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Five Star

Just tried to call into the MVPG Priority line, and was told by the automated system that it would call me back within 36-53 minutes. I recall fondly the days that being MVPG mattered and I got a live person every single time within a minute, and even that was a rare long wait time. What happened?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by mh3c
Just tried to call into the MVPG Priority line, and was told by the automated system that it would call me back within 36-53 minutes. I recall fondly the days that being MVPG mattered and I got a live person every single time within a minute, and even that was a rare long wait time. What happened?
The weather event back east might have something to do with this. That said, 36 to 53 minutes seems an uber-long time to have to hold.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:29 pm

I'm guessing weather has some part to play, but I've noticed hold times increasing. Last week I called to change a reservation that I couldn't change online, and I waited 32 minutes on the MVPG line. There was no weather issue at that point, so I think wait times are just creeping up.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I wonder if they're more comfortable with longer hold times due to the callback feature.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
East Coast flights are only a small fraction of AS's schedule. The current waiver impacts 7 airports (4 markets), a couple of which have just 1-2 flights a day.

This storm has been forecast for days. You would think AS could mobilize their res folks and schedule overtime in advance to accommodate a blip like this with minimal impact to their call center holds.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:54 pm

The weather just adds a small amount to what has become a very overwhelmed customer service structure, particularly the phone agents. I've had several conversations with apologetic agents that have explained they're completely buried and understaffed. I have several email requests for various issues related to IROPs in queue, some of which haven't been answered in five weeks. If that's the response time for their better customers (75K), I wonder how long the response time is for a one-off customer?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I've only been MVP/MVP Gold for a few months. One of the things that has, in the past, always stood out to me about AS is that a very competent and friendly reservations agent answered almost immediately most of the time when I called with no status. Now, as a Gold, I typically get 10-30 minute waits.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by channa
East Coast flights are only a small fraction of AS's schedule. The current waiver impacts 7 airports (4 markets), a couple of which have just 1-2 flights a day.

This storm has been forecast for days. You would think AS could mobilize their res folks and schedule overtime in advance to accommodate a blip like this with minimal impact to their call center holds.
As of 4:34PM EDT, FlightAware is showing 6 cancellations, 17 delays for Alaska, and no data for Horizon - systemwide. That's not a lot compared to what's going on at ORD, MDW, YYZ and EWR.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:47 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Anybody have insight into what the hold times are for Virgin America elites? Are resources being routed to that side of Ops leaving legacy Alaska customers lingering? Ive noticed same...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I typically call the MVP/Gold line with my recognized number and the standard line with a work phone simultaneously. Surprisingly, my call to the standard line is often answered immediately, while the MVP/Gold usually has a wait.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by DUT
Anybody have insight into what the hold times are for Virgin America elites? Are resources being routed to that side of Ops leaving legacy Alaska customers lingering? Ive noticed same...
Nope, same crappy phone service at VX, even their own people avoid it.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Currently at 52 minutes and counting. That music is getting really, really annoying. No option offered for a call back.

I need to make a schedule change for a flight tomorrow that cannot be done online.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDKing
Nope, same crappy phone service at VX, even their own people avoid it.
My couple interactions with VX phone staff have been cordial but laughable when compared to AS. Really astonishing how fantastic (and well trained) the AS reps are compared to VX. I smiled and laughed off the VX calls but thought to myself, seriously? They operate an airline with that level of service / knowledge. Oh, brother.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Thumbs down

95 minutes and counting. Time for bed. I guess I will try at the airport in the morning.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
95 minutes and counting. Time for bed. I guess I will try at the airport in the morning.
That's laughable for a 75K.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.