Cheese plate in F?

Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Cheese plate in F?

Sorry for the new thread, but search just turns up a bunch of conflicting older threads, so I am not sure what is accurate.

What is the *current* AS policy regarding getting Y food in F? E.g., when a vegetarian in F requests the cheese plate from the back instead of the meat they are serving in F? I thought current policy is that was gratis, and done ASAP--contrasting with older policy, which was gratis, but after coach had been served (and other airlines, which require you to pay).

Just ran into an FA that insisted it would be for pay, and after coach. Then they ran out

(On a paid F fare, in case that matters--which I don't think it does.)
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I was told I had to pay this year as well.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I was told I had to pay this year as well.
But were you able to purchase immediately, or did you have to wait to see if they had any left after they finished serving coach?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The official policy is everyone pays for it. Logic suggests that paying F pax shouldn't have to wait until Y is served, but YFAMV.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Erasmus
But were you able to purchase immediately, or did you have to wait to see if they had any left after they finished serving coach?
Chose not to pay on principle. Short flight.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Erasmus
My wife asked for it in place of her meal in September and was served immediately and plated to boot. I sometimes will order the F&C for later/next day and add if there's any left over from the Y service, but more often than not, the FA will bring it up immediately. Knowing about the change in policy, I've always had my card ready to pay too. Every once in a while the FA will decline to charge.

Are you in F from an upgrade? I'd preorder the F&C plate when that window opens and before getting upgraded. There should be one set aside then.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess I really do need to try the fruit & cheese plate sometime...especially if it's so popular that they typically run out....it just always sounded kinda "boring".
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I guess I really do need to try the fruit & cheese plate sometime...especially if it's so popular that they typically run out....it just always sounded kinda "boring".
It's nothing special, but who doesn't like cheese / crackers / apple slices and grapes. Throw in a glass of Browne Vineyards red blend and life is pretty good.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Nah... you don't want to try it. It tastes like a Frankenstein combination of kale and polenta.

Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
It's nothing special, but who doesn't like cheese / crackers / apple slices and grapes. Throw in a glass of Browne Vineyards red blend and life is pretty good.
I eat a lot of fruit in place of more unhealthy choices like chips or pastries, but part of the fun of traveling for me is taking a food "break" and eating whatever sounds good....the thought of more apple slices and grapes is a downer....it's sorta like the feeling Tom Hanks had at the end of "Castaway" when he was looking at all the crab they served at his welcome home party....he'd been stuck on that island eating crab all the time for years....lol....that's basically how I feel about fruit when traveling.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Nah... you don't want to try it. It tastes like a Frankenstein combination of kale and polenta.

bwahhaha

Actually, we were in F last week SFO/SEA and the fruit plate was the meal that was served in F (plated). Kind of a downer. My husband and I usually share one in Y when we buy it, and honestly I thought having one all to myself was too much I got sort of sick of it.

Another flight in Y I sat next to a 75K who had them reserve her one in advance (because of the running out issue) and she had to pay for it (that's just an aside), I'm sure you can reserve one in advance in F.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Another flight in Y I sat next to a 75K who had them reserve her one in advance (because of the running out issue) and she had to pay for it (that's just an aside), I'm sure you can reserve one in advance in F.
As logical as that may seem, I am pretty sure you cannot when on a paid F ticket; you can only reserve coach food in coach. This is one real way AS F is strictly inferior to Y.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AS
This issue has always been a "bone of contention" for me.
As OP mentioned, in PAID F, one should be able to get a meal one can eat.
I think the era when we could choose alternative from Y instead of F offering should be the standard.
I usually ask what the meal will be for my flight when I am in the AS lounge.
When on board, I mention to FA that I would like F&C from Y, please. They inform me I must pay. I have my card ready when they deliver my meal, and sometimes they waive the charge. I have celiacs and just don't open the crackers.
During a meeting with Food and beverage manager from AS last year , he asked if pre-ordering meal in F would be helpful. We all said, YES. If Y can do it, why can't F ? ( still has not happened)
Constant changes has resulted in some confusion, both for passengers and FA, as to F food policy. Those who travel one or two times a year are the ones mostly affected, they always seem surprised with "current policy".
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Pre-ordering a meal in F I think is still in the works, but haven't had contact with AS in a while about this.

And yes, currently Y meals are a paid option per policy.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Pre-ordering a meal in F I think is still in the works, but haven't had contact with AS in a while about this.

And yes, currently Y meals are a paid option per policy.
Paid is fine--whatever. But what is the policy regarding whether one has to wait to see if they run out in Y first or not? That's the part that is hard to stomach (pardon the pun) in (paid) F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.