Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheese plate in F?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Paid is fine--whatever. But what is the policy regarding whether one has to wait to see if they run out in Y first or not? That's the part that is hard to stomach (pardon the pun) in (paid) F.
Now what would have happened to my 75K seatmate if she had been upgraded at the gate and still wanted the F&C - would they have gone the route of "wait until it runs out in Y" or "here's the one we've saved for you"?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Now what would have happened to my 75K seatmate if she had been upgraded at the gate and still wanted the F&C - would they have gone the route of "wait until it runs out in Y" or "here's the one we've saved for you"?

As I understand it you would simply say I have one reserved in Y and they'd get it.

FWIW: I have never been charged in F for the F&C nor have I been asked to wait until Y service completes.

Then again, I haven't asked for one this year.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm sure you can reserve one in advance in F.
Unless its reserved prior to being upgraded, I don't believe its an option. I had pre-ordered the coconut chicken and was told i could still have it but Id have to pay.

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Then again, I haven't asked for one this year.
That would be why. I think its new this year.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
My experience this year (n = 1, so YMMV) is that I was asked if I still wanted it at the start of service. I passed.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
If paying for a Y meal, the latest commentary on FT that I recall allowed one to purchase at the beginning of service. There has been some seesaw on this over the years.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:31 pm

To help make things clear, the policy is:

If someone from F asks for F&C, it is to be given at time of request for the same charge someone in Y would pay. There is no requirement to wait until the main cabin has been served and doing so is not supposed to yield a F&C tray for no charge. If one is pre-ordered and you are upgraded, you may still purchase the F&C tray or opt to decline and then it will be part of the inventory for main cabin sale.

Hope that helps - even if the policy is not necessarily the way you would want it to be.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
To help make things clear, the policy is:

If someone from F asks for F&C, it is to be given at time of request for the same charge someone in Y would pay. There is no requirement to wait until the main cabin has been served and doing so is not supposed to yield a F&C tray for no charge. If one is pre-ordered and you are upgraded, you may still purchase the F&C tray or opt to decline and then it will be part of the inventory for main cabin sale.

Hope that helps - even if the policy is not necessarily the way you would want it to be.
Thanks; good to know! Sounds like the FA was mis-informed, as I suspected. Wish this was somewhere public so I could refer to it if needed: the FA working first was not to be persuaded and that literally meant no soup (or cheese) for you!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks; good to know! Sounds like the FA was mis-informed, as I suspected. Wish this was somewhere public so I could refer to it if needed: the FA working first was not to be persuaded and that literally meant no soup (or cheese) for you!
Well someone should have a copy of a manual inflight

Is that on the ipod these days? Reference that with your own peril
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:23 am

alaskalistens.com This way they will be advised in the future of the correct policy.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I would like to reiterate the need for AS to have pre-order in F. It would be straightforward to have an option to pre-order the fruit plate vs. the normal meal service. Obviously, they would have to have a 48 hour cutoff, so it wouldn't necessarily work for last minute upgrades. I bet AS would find that a lot of passengers would preorder the fruit and cheese plate.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS
Please address this with Alaska Listens. I have done this.
Hopefully if enough of us request this feature, they will understand this is an important feature for those of us who fly F and can't always eat what is offered.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP HHonors Gold DL MS
You can always "pre-order" a fruit&cheese plate either using the mobile app or on line. They are my favorite airline food. You even have to pay for them if you are in FC though
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPSC
You can always "pre-order" a fruit&cheese plate either using the mobile app or on line. They are my favorite airline food. You even have to pay for them if you are in FC though
You can only preorder those if you're in Y.... if you start in the F cabin at booking you don't get the option to preorder food.

I agree that AS should be able to, in 2017, allow passengers to preorder or select meals in F when it's 48+ hours from departure.

I won't pay for F on Alaska because of this issue. Being a vegetarian and looking at "What is served in F" on here my chances of getting vegetarian option in F always looks super slim.

I usually will book paid F on Delta simply because of the option to select a vegetarian meal, even if that isn't a 100% for sure thing (Delta misses getting special meals on planes every now and then).

I like the F&C plate and it would go along way to know there was one of those waiting for me, or some other vegetarian option, on an AS flight if I book into F at time of ticketing (paid, miles, miles & money, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.