Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska expresses interest in twin aisle 797

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska expresses interest in twin aisle 797

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It would seem that morning and evening SEA<->ANC trips could fill this bird.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
It would seem that morning and evening SEA<->ANC trips could fill this bird.
The end of the DL partnership does mean there are some holes in the partner network--no earning opportunities on PDX/SEA-AMS/NRT, for example--but it's entirely possible AS primarily wants more seats on one plane than a 9MAX can provide.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
... but juuuuuust out of range (5216 miles).
Glide the final 16 miles.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprisingly, ICN is #1 (I would have guessed LHR)... but juuuuuust out of range (5216 miles).
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Glide the final 16 miles.
Actually, range is based in part on weight. So they don't need to glide, they just to not fully book the plane so that it's lighter.

But OTOH is the range in "perfect" weather? So bad weather might decrease the range.

Do you want Alaska to join those legacy airlines who try to do 757 nonstop flights across the Atlantic but every so often have to stop somewhere along the way to refuel on the way back because conditions didn't allow them to fly the scheduled route nonstop?

I'd rather Alaska not push its planes that far...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, range is based in part on weight. So they don't need to glide, they just to not fully book the plane so that it's lighter.

But OTOH is the range in "perfect" weather? So bad weather might decrease the range.

Do you want Alaska to join those legacy airlines who try to do 757 nonstop flights across the Atlantic but every so often have to stop somewhere along the way to refuel on the way back because conditions didn't allow them to fly the scheduled route nonstop?

I'd rather Alaska not push its planes that far...
There aren't a lot of good analogies for Gander on the Pacific Ocean. You aren't going to seclude a route on an aircraft that is past max range. Especially not with your super expensive new plane that you need to fill up to break even on a competitive route.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
SEA-NRT or SEA-HNL-NRT would make the most sense if the plans are international given the JAL partnership; there isn't any good way to get to Asia on Alaska's partners from Seattle. I don't see SEA-LHR happening, BA directly competes on that route and Delta failed on it.

However, I don't think that's Alaska's plan. I am guessing their plan is to upgauge select longer routes, such as in the summer to Anchorage and in the winter to Hawaii. The schedule is beyond ridiculous with morning frequencies to some destinations, and this isn't helping air traffic at Sea-Tac either. Of course, having the 797 gives them the ability to gain experience with a longer-haul aircraft and to add international service later.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
How will the upgrades to first class work for 75k?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbau
You are asking about upgrade policy on a plane that only exists on paper, and won't be in service before the middle of the next decade, IF it gets built. So I would go with "why would you expect anyone to have any sort of a clue?"
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
You are asking about upgrade policy on a plane that only exists on paper, and won't be in service before the middle of the next decade, IF it gets built. So I would go with "why would you expect anyone to have any sort of a clue?"
Your Honor, I present to you Exhibit A - further evidence of the internet being a poor vehicle to use sarcasm.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tbau
Poorly, but they'll be fixed real soon. Real soon.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mehdron
Sounds like a new version of the 767 to me! I wonder if Boeing has considered a 767MAX???
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I would be incredibly happy to see a twin-aisle in the fleet! SEA/PDX to LHR sounds good with options to connect to BA. DL is starting PDX-LHR in May.

Also opens up options for South America, especially out of LAX.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TProphet
SEA-NRT or SEA-HNL-NRT would make the most sense if the plans are international given the JAL partnership; there isn't any good way to get to Asia on Alaska's partners from Seattle. I don't see SEA-LHR happening, BA directly competes on that route and Delta failed on it.
Yeh, Delta failed on SEA-LHR by having their 49% equity owned, anti-trust immunized metal-neutral JV partner fly a bigger aircraft on it. Every carrier should hope to fail that way.

No, AS isn't likely to fly SEA-LHR with two competitors on it already.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No, AS isn't likely to fly SEA-LHR with two competitors on it already.
You mean like how AS doesn't fly SEA-LAS with three competitors? SEA-LAX?

What's AS going to fly a longhaul plane on, ANC-GDL? PDX-TXL? There aren't a lot of untapped markets sans completion out of SEA you could fly longhaul on. SFO and LAX are no better.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I'll take PDX-TXL (by then BER, one hopes). Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.