Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

More routes for the bay area (SJC and SFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More routes for the bay area (SJC and SFO)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Possibly, but if you've got a lot invested in SFO/SJC, you don't exactly need OAK.

It's kind of like kvetching about why WN doesn't do more at DFW, ORD and IAH. Seems about as legit as "hey, you've got major SJC/SFO ops, why not expand OAK?" There are a lot of people in CHI where ORD is a more natural airport than MDW, for instance...
UA has a hub in SFO, very little in SJC, and nothing in Oakland.
AA has operations in SFO and SJC, and just PHX out of Oakland.
DL has LAX, SJC, and sometimes ATL out of Oakland, but they have more in both SFO and SJC as well.

I think OAK has really become WN and very little of anybody else.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
And now Norwegian (with one BA response) building up Europe. Which is great, but we skip over a lot of basic domestic service with just WN.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
UA has a hub in SFO, very little in SJC, and nothing in Oakland.
AA has operations in SFO and SJC, and just PHX out of Oakland.
DL has LAX, SJC, and sometimes ATL out of Oakland, but they have more in both SFO and SJC as well.

Pretty much, but AA and UA don't operate out of MDW despite being major players in CHI. WN focuses on FLL and to a lesser extent PBI when it comes to serving the Greater Miami region, and ignores MIA completely- they don't even do what AS does out of OAK and toss in some connectivity to important WN markets like MDW/DAL/LAS...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Pretty much, but AA and UA don't operate out of MDW despite being major players in CHI. WN focuses on FLL and to a lesser extent PBI when it comes to serving the Greater Miami region, and ignores MIA completely- they don't even do what AS does out of OAK and toss in some connectivity to important WN markets like MDW/DAL/LAS...
DL seems to be the one exception. It keeps operations at both ORD and MDW along wtih both DFW and DAL.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen with AS in the Dallas area once the merger is complete. Do they stick with DFW and DAL or consolidate?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL seems to be the one exception. It keeps operations at both ORD and MDW along wtih both DFW and DAL.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen with AS in the Dallas area once the merger is complete. Do they stick with DFW and DAL or consolidate?
DL also serves MIA, FLL and PBI. As well as SJC, SFO and OAK.

AS is like that as well (serves multiple airports in NYC, QLA, QSF). It won't shock me if they decide to serve both DFW and DAL, because it's in line with how they roll.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
FAT got E175 service. OAK, SMF, STS the only airports left with Q400 service to SEA or PDX. SMF/OAK being obvious odd ducks for Q400 service to PDX.
I thought they had switched back?

Either way, its time for a new FAT route. With San Jose becoming a good hub for connections....why not?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Can anyone that is flying out of SJC comment on where they park off-airport and on pricing? Last time I was flying out of there De La Cruz in Santa Clara was my choice, but they've been closed a few years. I have four upcoming Alaska trip from SJC starting at the end of the month.

SJC doesn't get the flow constraints SFO gets in bad weather (like my 4.5 hour delay LAX-SFO on AA a few weeks ago) so that might be a factor in ramping up there.
There's a place on Coleman that I use - next to the Earthquakes stadium - Park n Travel.

I come form Santa Cruz so it's the easiest to get to although the Doubletree is also good.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by SOCguy
Well another go at SJC-LAX, this time on OO E175s, is all I've found so far. Service start looks to be 9/20. 4 daily. I'm sure we'll have a press release soon.

Edited to add: Another attempt at the nerd bird. Daily SJC-AUS round-trip, starting 8/28, OO E175.
SJC-AUS: Best route ever. Fond memories of the frequent flyers who flew SJC-AUS on Monday and back on Friday. The flight where everyone knew your name!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

DL also serves both IAH and HOU.

Pulling out of DFW would be a little surprising since AA is their domestic codeshare partner, but maybe that's not very important.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:02 pm

I'm hoping this gives more connections from SNA. I'd gladly take a quick layover in SJC on my way to the east cost if it meant i could avoid the hell hole of LAX.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan
Pulling out of DFW would be a little surprising since AA is their domestic codeshare partner, but maybe that's not very important.
There's enough AS traffic that does point-to-point that I would think SEA/PDX-DAL is viable (and it makes keeping the station at DAL and avoiding the evil eye of the DOJ more tolerable).
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish there was some Bay Area to IAH service. Flew there Monday and had to use UA. AS was $400 more and involved a connection. Company said nyet to AS, go UA.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Still waiting for an announcement of new YVR to pretty much anywhere route(s).
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sdix
There's a place on Coleman that I use - next to the Earthquakes stadium - Park n Travel.

I come form Santa Cruz so it's the easiest to get to although the Doubletree is also good.
Originally Posted by freecia
I tried the DoubleTree via Spothero.com for my last trip.
I'll check those out. I recall parking on Coleman years back at what I think was Park, Shuttle and Fly, but I moved over to De La Cruz after they had some vehicles broken into. I'm sure the neighborhood has changed quite a bit since I last parked there. It might be as long as 10 years back now when AA had quite a large operation at SJC.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Carfield
VX will receive two new A321neos in May and then A320neo will also be delivered this year. Unless they are returning all ten A319s and some of the older A320s (leased planes), they have plenty of rooms to expand.
Only 2 of those SFO routes are red-eyes, so by my count the flying in this announcement requires 5-6 net new airplanes

True, they are taking a couple A321 deliveries but no new A320s that I'm aware of.

Also surprised they would launch a market like SFO-IND before DAL-SEA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.