Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Blog: Leaked Details of New Alaska Elite Benefits When Flying Virgin America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

The Points Guy blog reports details will be announced tomorrow.
http://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/alas...irgin-america/

One item:

Coming Late Summer 2017:

Complimentary access to preferred Main Cabin seating
Eligibility for Main Cabin select upgrades
An advance purchase window to buy first-class upgrades
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
You beat me to it
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
The Points Guy blog reports details will be announced tomorrow.
http://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/alas...irgin-america/

One item:
Those benefits won't start until late summer 2017, so still quite a ways away.

And 2 free bags starting Spring 2017.

Steps in the right direction.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by Baze
Those benefits won't start until late summer 2017, so still quite a ways away.

And 2 free bags starting Spring 2017.

Steps in the right direction.
I'm sure this has been covered before, but why so late?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
I was just quoting from the leaked blog. Only Alaska knows why so late.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
It seems pretty obvious that it will take some IT work to be able to do it. Had they simply matched status in both directions it would have been easy as AS elites would have gotten exactly the same benefits as VX elite members. Since they are trying to get rid of Elevate, they need to get the two systems communicating as VX/AS do not have the same methods for doing much of anything when it comes to upgrades, etc. That was the public reason given for VX/VS reciprocal benefits going away. They didn't want to spend the money to get the IT systems functioning after VS changed their FF program.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
I don't know that I give much credibility to this...As AS already status matched elites from VX over, so the assessment of what benefits they receive isn't accurate.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by mikexner
I don't know that I give much credibility to this...As AS already status matched elites from VX over, so the assessment of what benefits they receive isn't accurate.
VX elites who were matched over to AS and use their AS elite status get the same benefits as any other AS elite. If using their VX number, then they get whatever benefits VX elites get on AS.

Even if VX did status match AS elites to VX, I'd still use my AS number. The extra miles earned are worth more than the other benefits, plus not sure if EQMs (or equivalent) will be merged.

This is good news, hope to see it official soon!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It seems pretty obvious that it will take some IT work to be able to do it. Had they simply matched status in both directions it would have been easy as AS elites would have gotten exactly the same benefits as VX elite members. Since they are trying to get rid of Elevate, they need to get the two systems communicating as VX/AS do not have the same methods for doing much of anything when it comes to upgrades, etc. That was the public reason given for VX/VS reciprocal benefits going away. They didn't want to spend the money to get the IT systems functioning after VS changed their FF program.
Also VS is JV/49% owned by DL. VS is now using DL's IT, down to the new mobile app being nearly identical. At one point, I think VS also switched GDS/reservations to Deltamatic.

AS is no longer partners with DL, so as part of the transition, there would have been absolutely no reason for VX to continue ties with DL dba VS.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mikexner
That is missing the point entirely. The benefits being added are for AS elites, not VX elites. The VX people with elite status on AS just use the existing AS IT procedures as there is no diferention from other AS elites. AS people on VX--even after the changes are getting a subset of the benefits which means IT work needs to be done to get AS people into the VX upgrade system, etc.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Mar 6, 2017 at 7:33 am
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
I wonder what the "early access to first class upgrades" really means.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Spiffieman
I wonder what the "early access to first class upgrades" really means.
I would expect it just means the same thing that Elevate Golds and Silvers have now, their own windows (T-24 and T-12 respectively) to buy F upgrades before the unwashed masses get that privilege at T-6
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Cool so more seating options for my October Run. Although regular seat in back gave me a bunch of open middles.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Cool so more seating options for my October Run. Although regular seat in back gave me a bunch of open middles.
Yeah, I might stick to the back for my October runs as well since my wife and I booked A and C seats hoping for empty middles.....my guess is that there will be far more empty middles in the back and virtually none in MCS. Also, it sounds from other reports, it sounds like VX has it's own "issues" with the MCS upgrade list....for example, booking from virtually any site other than VX means you won't automatically be on the list and you have to call in to be manually added.

The AS website still only lists the same benefits of priority boarding and check-in for AS elites flying VX....with that said, I don't think AS can wait too much longer before allowing at least free baggage for AS elites on VX flights.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Just got an email from AS; the leaks to the blog we're accurate.

Elite benefits
We know that receiving elite benefits on Virgin America flights is at the top of your list. You can enjoy priority check-in and boarding now, and later this year, you'll get additional perks on Virgin America-operated flights, like free bags, complimentary Premium seat selection, paid First Class upgrades, and more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.