Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Go around last night due to shifting winds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go around last night due to shifting winds

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
back in the days...

My first goaround was in AF Caravelle at ORY! Is it me or they feel so much more infrequent these days..aka schedule pressures?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
Bounce and go?

I was picking my husband up in Durham, NC once and the flight was suddenly delayed. He said they did a "bounce and go" and that the wheels actually touched down before a go around. How common is that compared to an go around?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Go-arounds are pretty common and pilots are trained to do this in their sleep (well maybe not quite). I've experienced four in my life. With more and more air traffic coming into the same place, its just a fact of life. So far every time, they've gotten us back towards the front of the line or another runway so it isnt a long wait.

As for bounce, I don't remember exactly and if it depends on airline but I thought that depending on the height of the bounce, the procedure is to reject the landing (go-around)
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I've had a few go arounds over the years including 2 when landing at SFO both due to "the plane ahead being slow to clear the runway" from the pilot.
Also at SFO, this was some years ago in the 35mm film age, while waiting on the tarmac on the business side of the airport to be taken back into the executive terminal after a helicopter flight that had taken Mrs DMF and myself under the golden gate bridge, I was watching a Virgin 747 on the approach while a KLM 747 very slowly cleared runway 28R.
I was thinking this was going to be close and had just said this to Mrs DMF when the Virgin crew thought the same and went into a TOGA made all the more impressive by the fact we were standing only about 300 yards from the runway!

A memory not to be forgotten along with the picture in the corner of the frame of part of the Golden Gate bridge

DMF
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
This made me remember one of my favorite (though not at the time) flying experiences.

EasyJet from London on approach to Split, Croatia. Just about to land, then the engines throttle up and we start climbing. Small British child behind us exclaims, "Papa, are we going to die?!"

Pilot came on to say we were coming in too high, hence the go around. Best I can tell, we did not die.
First time this happened was the most alarming:

Returning on Alitalia to BOS, coming in northbound, parallel to city off the the left. That runway starts not at all far from the water's edge.
I was with 2 children, one on each side of me, in a bulkhead type row, with flight attendants in jumpseats facing us.
I watched the water get closer, and started thinking... Hmmm if we are still up this high [no airport in sight, etc.], then those white caps must be pretty big!

Still getting closer and closer to the water, and just about the time I realized those were NOT "large" white caps and started to go into panic mode (not sure how that would have helped), the engines ROARED and up we went.

Adding to the upset was the experienced (?) flight attendant facing us, who loudly blurted out "MAMMA MIA!" in alarm.

The children just froze, looking at me with bug eyes.

Hearing that remark would have been funny any other time.

It was a completely clear day, so I don't know "what happened".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.