FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Why does Alaska MVP Gold phone line need me to key in my mileage plan number? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1824091-why-does-alaska-mvp-gold-phone-line-need-me-key-my-mileage-plan-number.html)

jakehansen Feb 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Why does Alaska MVP Gold phone line need me to key in my mileage plan number?

Hi, some time last year, the Alaska Airlines MVP Gold line started making me key in my mileage plan number before it connects me with an agent.

It used to be that I would call and an agent would just answer the phone and say hello to me by name.

I've asked agents and they said that as long as my mobile phone number where I am calling from is on file as my primary number in my account, my calls should go directly to an agent. (My better half is also an MVP Gold and it works like that for him.). We've verified that the right number is indeed on file. Nothing's changed on my phone or account.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks!

lg20 Feb 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Do you have any kind of caller ID blocking on your phone line?

Jimgotkp Feb 21, 2017 3:33 pm

I have to do the same thing even though my number is listed in my profile and I don't use caller ID blocking. It's good I remember my MP # now.

missamo80 Feb 21, 2017 3:40 pm

I've always been prompted to enter my MP# when calling the Gold line.

Neil

zs58 Feb 21, 2017 4:18 pm

I've never had to enter my Gold # - are you guys calling from the "contact us" link in the app or dialing from a phonebook? Wonder if that would make any difference as far as authentication.

missamo80 Feb 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Well, back when I was MVPG (*sob*) I dialed from my cell phone, which is my main phone.

Although come to think of it, I think we just discovered last week that I had a number transposed on my account for the phone number. Maybe that's why it never worked. I'm not MVPG anymore so I guess I'll never know :(

Neil

missydarlin Feb 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp (Post 27940135)
I have to do the same thing even though my number is listed in my profile and I don't use caller ID blocking. It's good I remember my MP # now.

If the number can't be identified as unique to your MP#, then it will ask.

Are you using a business number that uses a proxy ID?
Did you put your # as the primary for a family members MP account?

jakehansen Feb 22, 2017 1:22 am

Thanks so much everyone - @missydarlin you were right about the issue. Turns out my mobile phone number was set as the primary contact phone for me, but also for my daughter. As a result, when I'd dial in the computer couldn't identify which account to pull up so it made me enter my mileage plan number.

I've now changed to using a different number for my daughter's account and it is working again. Thank you!

Jimgotkp Feb 22, 2017 11:17 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin (Post 27940662)
If the number can't be identified as unique to your MP#, then it will ask.

Are you using a business number that uses a proxy ID?
Did you put your # as the primary for a family members MP account?

Oh it might be under a family member's account. Will have to change that. Thanks!

Eujeanie Feb 22, 2017 6:45 pm

My husband and I (both gold) have the same phone number on our accounts, and when I call in they just ask "who am I speaking with?".

beckoa Feb 23, 2017 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 27945436)
My husband and I (both gold) have the same phone number on our accounts, and when I call in they just ask "who am I speaking with?".

Hmm, they ask me that too, but I don't share my primary# with anyone.

michaelstant Aug 7, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone resolved the issue?

I've gone in and confirmed the number listed on my account on Alaska is the correct phone number.

jakehansen Aug 8, 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by michaelstant (Post 28659330)
I'm having the same issue. Has anyone resolved the issue?

Yes, it turned out that my phone number was used on both my account and my daughter's account. I removed my number from my daughter's account and used a different number for her account. Now when I call from my number, I am recognized and my account is automatically connected to the agent.