Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS164/161 ANC-ADK Same-Day Turn and Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Hello there. I am planing to visit Adak Island in late August and I have booked AS164 and AS161 that will be on the same days. I have a few questions, and I believe the Alaska experts in this forum sure know more than I do
1. AS161 leaves at 6PM; AS161 arrives at ADK at 5:06PM. How much time do I really have on the ground? Do I have enough time to leave the airport, grab a cup of coffee then re-clear security? I don't plan to check anything.
2. How's the weather looks like in late August? Is the flight to ADK prone to cancellation?
3. If I get stuck on the island to flight cancellation, is it possible to find a place to stay on the island?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
1) Everyone leaves security. TSA will probably be on your flight, with a mechanic as well. Good chance to see troopers too. Not much in the terminal though.

2) When I went in the summer with some fellow FTers, it was sunny and in the 60's to 70's. This is atypical. Yes, there can be cancellations due to wx.

3) There is lodging on the island. There are thousands of houses on the island, a few are still maintained and rentable, both from the corporation, and privately. In fact, I'd encourage you to stick around for 4 days until the next flight. IIRC, a rental truck was $100 a day, seems to be the rate no matter the destination in rural Alaska.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
1) Everyone leaves security. TSA will probably be on your flight, with a mechanic as well. Good chance to see troopers too. Not much in the terminal though.

2) When I went in the summer with some fellow FTers, it was sunny and in the 60's to 70's. This is atypical. Yes, there can be cancellations due to wx.

3) There is lodging on the island. There are thousands of houses on the island, a few are still maintained and rentable, both from the corporation, and privately. In fact, I'd encourage you to stick around for 4 days until the next flight. IIRC, a rental truck was $100 a day, seems to be the rate no matter the destination in rural Alaska.
Is 4 days the minimum amount of time you can stay there? Seems like an interesting place to visit, but it sounds like it could get really expensive.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
1a. Yes, judging from visiting the biggest village last summer (Bethel) you will have time. The harder part might be actually finding a cup of coffee, pop is always a safe bet.

1b. More than likely you will be arriving and or departing late (10-20 mins. for the Bethel flights), village life.

2. Always be prepared.

3. August will see a decline in the hunters island hopping, finding a spot should be very easy.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mediator
Hello there. I am planing to visit Adak Island in late August and I have booked AS164 and AS161 that will be on the same days. I have a few questions, and I believe the Alaska experts in this forum sure know more than I do
1. AS161 leaves at 6PM; AS161 arrives at ADK at 5:06PM. How much time do I really have on the ground? Do I have enough time to leave the airport, grab a cup of coffee then re-clear security? I don't plan to check anything.
2. How's the weather looks like in late August? Is the flight to ADK prone to cancellation?
3. If I get stuck on the island to flight cancellation, is it possible to find a place to stay on the island?

Thanks in advance!
1) If you bring Coffee in, you may be able to find a way to make yourself a cup.

2) Already answered above

3) IIRC, you won't get stuck, AS wont even attempt to land if it they don't think they could take off. Basically it will circle the island and return back to ANC.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Is 4 days the minimum amount of time you can stay there? Seems like an interesting place to visit, but it sounds like it could get really expensive.
Yep. flight is only 2x weekly (when its not cancelled) so 3 nights is the minimum. Fly in Thursday afternoon, fly out Sunday afternoon.

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 21, 2017 at 9:00 am Reason: fixed quote
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

Thanks in advance!
Coffee? LOL. Welcome to travel in bush Alaska.
PABE likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chugach
Coffee? LOL. Welcome to travel in bush Alaska.
I've seen setups with coffee pots in the terminals before. I say terminal loosely of course

UNK is one example.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
I've seen setups with coffee pots in the terminals before. I say terminal loosely of course

UNK is one example.
I've been to UNK. Bless you for having the fortitude to drink the coffee there.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Chugach
I've been to UNK. Bless you for having the fortitude to drink the coffee there.

I didn't indulge either

Was tempted by the ad in the terminal for fast food... alas not a long enough connection though as I imagine it wasn't that fast
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the comments! So ideally, I will have ~30 minutes on the island before I have to go back to the terminal?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I feel like leaving the area immediately around the airport is not a good idea. They'll deplane the inbound flight, do a quick maintenance check (walk around) and while that's happening TSA will clear the passengers waiting for flying out, then they'll be ready to board and be on the way back to ANC. If you're not in the tail end of the TSA line, you're gonna be left behind. Remember TSA will be going back to ANC on the outbound flight so they'll be done screening by 5:40pm I'm sure.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Update, it is doable! I just did the ANC ADK same day turn. I had about 40 minutes on the ground at ADK.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
What did you do while on the ground? Did you find coffee?

Neil
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
What did you do while on the ground? Did you find coffee?

Neil
No coffee, not even a power port
There is no cell phone reception at all. I simply walked around the airport vicinity for like half an hour. The view is simply striking. You felt so remote and lonely. It's like nowhere else in the US.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
No coffee, not even a power port
There is no cell phone reception at all. I simply walked around the airport vicinity for like half an hour. The view is simply striking. You felt so remote and lonely. It's like nowhere else in the US.
Were there many folks on the flight? Anyone doing a quick turn around like you other than the TSA staff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.