Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS164/161 ANC-ADK Same-Day Turn and Questions

AS164/161 ANC-ADK Same-Day Turn and Questions

Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Were there many folks on the flight? Anyone doing a quick turn around like you other than the TSA staff?
The flight was 2/3 full. I believe I'm the only folk who did immediate turn apart from the crew, several TSA agents and a trooper. Other passengers are native Aleut, technicians, contractors and a few locals. Overall it is a interesting mix.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mediator
No coffee, not even a power port
There is no cell phone reception at all. I simply walked around the airport vicinity for like half an hour. The view is simply striking. You felt so remote and lonely. It's like nowhere else in the US.
Who is your provider?

AT&T was roaming on Windy Wireless when I was there for a few days.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Who is your provider?

AT&T was roaming on Windy Wireless when I was there for a few days.
Sprint, and my phone showed no service at all.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Sprint, and my phone showed no service at all.
Not surprised as Sprint doesn't have much, if any coverage up here...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Not surprised as Sprint doesn't have much, if any coverage up here...
Wonder if AT&T has service back in Bethel as I saw there "tower" was down last summer with a brand new shiny one just sitting there. WiFi was near impossible to do anything with also.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA1K
i was thinking of doing the turn at BRW but ADK seems much more remote. thoughts?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
i was thinking of doing the turn at BRW but ADK seems much more remote. thoughts?
BRW has more options if your flight goes mx.

ADK *is* more remote and can be quite scenic when flying along the chain.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:24 pm
vgc

I've been meaning to go to Barrow and/or Adak someday and this thread has resparked my interest. Maybe I'll go for Solstice next year.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by haddon90
BRW has more options if your flight goes mx.

ADK *is* more remote and can be quite scenic when flying along the chain.
Why not both I did ADK-ANC-SCC-BRW all on a single AS ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Why not both I did ADK-ANC-SCC-BRW all on a single AS ticket.
The good news is ADK is a guaranteed same plane turn so you wont miss the connection when you put on two tickets. However if you decide not to go when its 60 days from departure, its extra change fee.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Wow, I guess I always assumed it was combi plane that did this route, but it isn't. Now that we get upgrades on award tickets, it would seem to be a relatively easy upgrade to clear....I assume it's double catered
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Wow, I guess I always assumed it was combi plane that did this route, but it isn't. Now that we get upgrades on award tickets, it would seem to be a relatively easy upgrade to clear....I assume it's double catered
With polenta...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
With polenta...
Grrr....
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
So this seems to be the only thread I can find on here regarding lights to ADK. I did BRW last year (not as a back to back, we stayed overnight) and quite fancied the Adak Island trip in July.

Has anyone done this recently? Prices seem insane at $1130 round-trip even in coach. In First the only inventory seems to be C class.

EF shows MCT as 30 minutes. Obviously the only concern is getting back through TSA but presumably TSA still fly out on the outbound, clear passengers, and then fly back with the return flight to ANC?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Geordie405
So this seems to be the only thread I can find on here regarding lights to ADK. I did BRW last year (not as a back to back, we stayed overnight) and quite fancied the Adak Island trip in July.

Has anyone done this recently? Prices seem insane at $1130 round-trip even in coach. In First the only inventory seems to be C class.

EF shows MCT as 30 minutes. Obviously the only concern is getting back through TSA but presumably TSA still fly out on the outbound, clear passengers, and then fly back with the return flight to ANC?
I'm thinking of doing this flight as an immediate turn sometime...a previous poster in 2017 was able to walk around d for about 30 min. so I doubt this would be a problem. I can't imagine anyone paying that price for a ticket when it can be had for as low as 7.5K miles....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.