Wiki Posts
Search

Russia: Award region?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL, A3 Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Russia: Award region?

Just checked the award chart of Mileage Plan and saw that the map for Asia fully contains Russia. However, I couldn´t find a table with award regions to confirm this.

If Russia is counted as Asia (like it used to be at US Dividend Miles) than it should be possible to fly First Class NRT-DME on JAL for just 30k MP miles!!!

Has anyone ever tried to book that?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Ignore the map it's not an accurate representation of regions. No idea why they don't get rid of it. Its not available as a JL destination. If you look at the calendar search from NRT you will get the following message:

We could not fulfill your request. This could be due to one or more of the following reasons:
- There are flights, but all award space is taken.
- There are no flights for the city pair entered.
- There are no flights operating on the specific day of the week entered.
- The routing requested may not be allowed.

Please change your search.

Error Code: -1580
Looks like it prices as Europe using BA & DL from North America

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 18, 2017 at 2:42 pm
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Building on this thread. Is there a web page or other resource that documents which countries are in each region? The Alaska website provide the definitions each partner uses for "North America" but nothing on other regions, such as "Asia".
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Building on this thread. Is there a web page or other resource that documents which countries are in each region? The Alaska website provide the definitions each partner uses for "North America" but nothing on other regions, such as "Asia".
AS's award chart has the definition of Southeast Asia for JL and KE, only because there're different award charts for that part (from the rest of Asia).

Besides Russia, which airports do you think are ambiguous? The only one I can think of is IST, but I think that is most likely considered Europe.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishywang
AS's award chart has the definition of Southeast Asia for JL and KE, only because there're different award charts for that part (from the rest of Asia).
Weirdly JL is pricing Asia vs SE Asia wrong as well.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Afghanistan (and some of the other -stans, actually) is the one that's causing confusion for me -- whether it's MidEast or Asia.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Afghanistan (and some of the other -stans, actually) is the one that's causing confusion for me -- whether it's MidEast or Asia.
Kabul is pricing as Middle East for EK awards

Almatay is only coming up under Hainan and pricing as Asia. Its not seeing anything on KLM but not sure if that is because its considered Asia for all carriers or just lack of award space (KLM does not allow Asia through AS)

Tashkent Uzbekistan is coming up as a KE destination under Asia

Regions can vary by partner, for instance JL's solo India destination is considered Asia award while CX would be India award.

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 19, 2017 at 6:36 am
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Is there a link where I can figure out each "region" for AS partner chart? I can not find it on the AS website.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jma12
Is there a link where I can figure out each "region" for AS partner chart? I can not find it on the AS website.
No real definition of regions (sometimes a note on the disclaimers)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...%3aMileagePlan

Its not as accurate as it used to be, hence the thread. In general is most cases (except some weird JL pricing) go based on what the award search prices at.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So SVO to AKL prices as Europe to NZ instead of Asia to NZ as represented on the website?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So SVO to AKL prices as Europe to NZ instead of Asia to NZ as represented on the website?
Yep so 2 awards. Not that it matters anyways since the only Asia to NZ option is HKG-NZ on CX

HU & JL which serve SVO go from Asia to AKL but, no chart exists for those carriers for the region pairing.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 2, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Wait - so BA is the only AS partner that flies to Russia? - That's useless - no one would burn AS miles to pay BA's >$1000 fuel surcharges.

Now if we could convince @missydarlin to enhance Alaska's award chart - US to Moscow or St Petersburg via Hainan !
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by eethan
That's useless - no one would burn AS miles to pay BA's >$1000 fuel surcharges.
People do, just like people burn 200k to fly EK one way. Phrased another way: would you fly a very nice J product (aka BA F ) for $1000 and a bunch of useless funny money that you can't spend at the grocery store or anywhere else instead of $7,000-10,000, or more, people might well pay the $1000 and the miles.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eethan
Wait - so BA is the only AS partner that flies to Russia? - That's useless - no one would burn AS miles to pay BA's >$1000 fuel surcharges.

Now if we could convince @missydarlin to enhance Alaska's award chart - US to Moscow or St Petersburg via Hainan !
I had a friend book EK to DME before.

I have several BA F bookings currently for next year myself. Not sure if they'll be used or not, but the fuel surcharge was only a couple hundred. Not the end of the world.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:27 pm

Where does Sri Lanka fit into the award chart? SEA or India?
If I zoom right in on the little map and select India it appears to be not included. Terrible interactive map It has a lot of SEA as South Pacific!
Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.