Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA - ORD...Will I get upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

SEA - ORD...Will I get upgraded?

Greetings. I'm taking a flight that is far from usual for me. In 2+ weeks I'm flying from SEA to ORD in the early afternoon. I have Gold 75K status and currently it looks like 9 of 16 F seats are available. Does anyone have experience with this route? What do you my upgrade chances are? Thank you.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:10 pm

I travel to Chicago on Alaska several times a year for work. There are usually a LOT of elites on the flights between ORD and both SEA and PDX. Often there are 30+ names on the upgrade list. I've seen only 2-3 elites get bumped per flight.

Who knows, maybe you will be one of the lucky few!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
What is your fare class?

Upgrades in each tier status are now sorted by fare class and then time purchased [since Dec 5, 2016]
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I've found I can get a pretty good feel for things by keeping up with this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...de-2017-a.html thread.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I think this route to a lessor extent is like the SEA/PDX-DFW route for upgrades....they are typically VERY difficult on SEA-DFW.....but PDX-DFW, not nearly as bad so if you do SEA-PDX-ORD (and pick up some extra EQMs along the way), you're chances are going to be much greater. This is also true of SEA-EWR compared to PDX-EWR.....the PDX upgrade list is typically going to be about 1/4 as long as the SEA-EWR upgrade list.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
In my experience, this is a tough route. I don't recall ever seeing a waitlist under 20 and have seen it go as high as 70. I typically use GGUs at booking and have had good luck with that, even of late.

With the apparent holdback of seats until last minute, you may have a chance though: six cleared at the gate on my last ORD-SEA on a Friday evening last month.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
it looks like 9 of 16 F seats are available
If you are getting that by looking at the seat map that's not necessarily how many F seats are available. ExpertFlyer will tell you for sure. One of us can check if you tell us the exact date and flight number.

Neil
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Upgrade chances also vary from day to day, somedays are business traveler heavy while some days are not.

Providing booking class and day is often helpful here.

Jiburi
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
So as you can see, this is a tough one to answer definitively two weeks out. A lot can happen in two weeks, especially on a busy business travel route like SEA-ORD. I council patience, Grasshopper.

And - if you're way down the wait list on the day before, go buy yourselves a couple bowls at Waji's for later in the flight. If you're sat anywhere near the forward cabin, even those fat cats up there will be drooling.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I do this route almost monthly and never been above 10 or so on the upgrade list.. Yes, it is typically elite heavy.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by bofc
Greetings. I'm taking a flight that is far from usual for me. In 2+ weeks I'm flying from SEA to ORD in the early afternoon. I have Gold 75K status and currently it looks like 9 of 16 F seats are available. Does anyone have experience with this route? What do you my upgrade chances are? Thank you.
You offer neither which day of the week you're flying, nor how far out you bought the ticket. Both are critical missing pieces of info. It isn't as important for your T-120 window that it's F7+ (apparently) right now: what's in U? If it's not open at your window, you'll clear at the gate (if at all). Use ExpertFlyer to find that number.

But yes, as most have already stated, this is a tough segment for upgrades.

Saturday night returns - on the other hand - are the upgrade express!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:52 pm

Regarding the last minute holdbacks - yep! I was seated next to an MVPG who got a *phone call* from cust svc asking if he would like to upgrade, as the last few passengers were boarding. He said yes, and I benefitted from a bit extra space due to an empty middle.seat. ;-)

These days, even that little bit is an upgrade too!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by Jenfloyd08
Regarding the last minute holdbacks - yep! I was seated next to an MVPG who got a *phone call* from cust svc asking if he would like to upgrade, as the last few passengers were boarding. He said yes, and I benefitted from a bit extra space due to an empty middle.seat. ;-)

These days, even that little bit is an upgrade too!
Phone call! On the plane? That's a new one.

Totally agreed re: middle seat!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

I recently bought a P fare on this route for only about $375 which seemed like a pretty good deal but also might explain why there aren't many seats left for upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.