Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience With Hainan Airlines (HU)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
With the AS ticket number? The message HU gives is that you cannot access AS tickets on the site.
ah ~ best to chat with them online then.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
With the AS ticket number? The message HU gives is that you cannot access AS tickets on the site.
Yeah exactly. If I go to Hainan's USA website and try to manage my booking by inputting either the AS ticket number or the Amadeus PNR that AS provided, I get the message " We are unable to find this confirmation number. Please validate your entry and try again or contact us for further information. (8104)". I was just wondering if that's a common thing and I need to call or chat with them to select a seat.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by berkeleysquirrel
Yeah exactly. If I go to Hainan's USA website and try to manage my booking by inputting either the AS ticket number or the Amadeus PNR that AS provided, I get the message " We are unable to find this confirmation number. Please validate your entry and try again or contact us for further information. (8104)". I was just wondering if that's a common thing and I need to call or chat with them to select a seat.
A lot of the mainland carriers are like that, you can only access online if you booked direct with the carrier. I ran into the same with China Southern. I had no problem getting seat selection last year by emailing [email protected] but some posts above had no luck.

Please be advise that your reservation is confirmed . You're unable to assign the seats or manage your booking at our official website as this ticket is issued under Alaska Airlines .
We have already assigned the seats at the window for all flights . Kindly see number 8-12 for seat number.
I ended up with bulkhead window on all flights and no one in the seat next to mine.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by ericw
ah ~ best to chat with them online then.
Thanks! I was able to secure a seat reservation with their online chat support.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:32 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by gongbo
2. They occasionally change your selected seat and give to other people who pay extra, without letting you know
I picked seats on their website after booking with them. On the returning flight after checkin, I notice my seat has been changed from aisle D to window seat A without letting me know. I talked to their airport staff, they told me they changed the plane, and the new plane has no D seat anymore. They put me in another aisle seat 59G after I requested, which is at the last row right besides the toilet.
After I board, I found the flight is exactly same as the one I booked, and there are D seats. I asked their flight attendant, and she told me that their airport staff will occasionally put people in the front row to the back if someone else would pay extra for that front seat you already select..
Interesting, must be something about AS AND their partners, as the same thing happened to me on a paid AS flight SFO-LAX. Had an aisle seat near the front of coach, printed my BP showing the same seat, and when I was boarding, I was handed another BP with a middle seat next to the last row. Asked to put me back into the previous seat and was told the equipment change made my seat unavailable. When I boarded, it was the same equipment and my seat number was right there as I walked by it. Terrible CS.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Interestingly enough I just bought a J ticket DIRECTLY through HU and I can take any of the rows except the bulkhead. First time for me, but I guess my past purchases were with travel agents.

There is one thing I’ve noticed that I don’t have the answer to and I can’t find it. It’s the hours of the made to order food kitchen for the Beijing lounge. I was there for my flight back to Calgary last year, and they were just closing the kitchen around 2 PM. Does anybody have the hours of when they open for lunch and dinner? Don’t understand why they don’t just keep it continually open. Because I know they open for lunch around 12, close around 2, and I think reopen at 5 for dinner. This is incredibly stupid considering they have a ton of international departures between about two and five to the west coast of North America.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:39 pm
soy

Programs: various
I know that AS usually sees CX-1 for premium cabin awards, but I read elsewhere today that there might be a similar issue with Hainan J awards.
Is this real, and if so is there a rule of thumb for what AS can really see versus what the AS website shows?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by soy
I know that AS usually sees CX-1 for premium cabin awards, but I read elsewhere today that there might be a similar issue with Hainan J awards.
Is this real, and if so is there a rule of thumb for what AS can really see versus what the AS website shows?
I have always had success with AS=CX not CX-1. I don't have any experience with HU as I am not going to pay hundreds out of pocket to support their fee structure.

James
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:05 pm
soy

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have always had success with AS=CX not CX-1. I don't have any experience with HU as I am not going to pay hundreds out of pocket to support their fee structure.

James
Interesting, I have read a ton of posts that say Premium CX awards are -1 (sometimes -2) on AS. I need 4x awards so this makes it a big deal as I cannot be waiting/hoping for last minute availabity. I too hate to pay out big YQ, but will if I have to to keep us together.
Still your reply gives me hope that CX might still work for me, since there are dates I see with 4x that work for me
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by soy
Interesting, I have read a ton of posts that say Premium CX awards are -1 (sometimes -2) on AS. I need 4x awards so this makes it a big deal as I cannot be waiting/hoping for last minute availabity. I too hate to pay out big YQ, but will if I have to to keep us together.
Still your reply gives me hope that CX might still work for me, since there are dates I see with 4x that work for me
Have you tried booking one seat at a time through AS? Usually if expertflyer is showing 4 or 5 award seats open, Alaska will only release one at a time. So you just book them one at a time.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by moondog
When you say 假日酒店 to a taxi driver in NYC, how many of them understand it?
I think you’re sort of missing the point. Some people go to China and expect there won’t be a language barrier if they just say “oh Sheraton downtown” to the taxi driver and he’ll understand in Shanghai/Beijing etc....

I’m trying to help prepare people that this is not the case. The name “Sheraton” “Hilton” “Holiday Inn” are not mandarin words, and drivers who don’t speak English won’t understand these words or what you’re trying to get across. That’s why on my last trip to Beijing I had my hotel send me a print out of directions in Mandarin to show the taxi driver.

Im just trying to warn people who think it’ll be easy to go to a taxi and say “downtown Hilton hotel please” as this won’t work.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

I think you’re sort of missing the point. Some people go to China and expect there won’t be a language barrier if they just say “oh Sheraton downtown” to the taxi driver and he’ll understand in Shanghai/Beijing etc....

I’m trying to help prepare people that this is not the case. The name “Sheraton” “Hilton” “Holiday Inn” are not mandarin words, and drivers who don’t speak English won’t understand these words or what you’re trying to get across. That’s why on my last trip to Beijing I had my hotel send me a print out of directions in Mandarin to show the taxi driver.

Im just trying to warn people who think it’ll be easy to go to a taxi and say “downtown Hilton hotel please” as this won’t work.
Absolutely agree with you, as someone in Mainland China currently. Hotel names, such as Marriott or Hilton, are not the same in Chinese. Do not expect to be able to verbally say these to a driver who doesn't speak English. I prefer to have a native speaker tell the driver my destination when possible, or have printed name and address in Chinese in other cases (e.g. from airport).

Even last week in Taipei, when switching hotels, the driver misunderstood "Mayfull" for "Marriott" when the hotel staff told him my destination in Chinese. The hotel staff were also from a Marriott property and weren't the ones confused.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
The name “Sheraton” “Hilton” “Holiday Inn” are not mandarin words, and drivers who don’t speak English won’t understand these words or what you’re trying to get across.
The best part is that "Hilton" in chinese sounds exactly like what you'd expect "Sheraton" to be in Chinese
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:08 am

I have no background in mandarin (though I wish I could learn it) but I don’t understand how names of made up brands can be different in other languages? Anyway, I learned this the hard way when I first took a MR to mainland China. I ignorantly assumed all I needed to do was tell the driver the name of the hotel and he’d understand but this was not the case.

All i’m trying to do is warn people about this, and I’m sorry if it offends anyone. Not my intention.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:20 am
soy

I have no background in mandarin (though I wish I could learn it) but I don’t understand how names of made up brands can be different in other languages? Anyway, I learned this the hard way when I first took a MR to mainland China. I ignorantly assumed all I needed to do was tell the driver the name of the hotel and he’d understand but this was not the case.

All i’m trying to do is warn people about this, and I’m sorry if it offends anyone. Not my intention.

Even if the names did sound different, there are often local places where someone creates a similar sounding name for their property that has nothing to do with the real brand eg, Hildon, Sheratann etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.