Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience With Hainan Airlines (HU)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
That's a great price. It drops to $2087.30 when push through to the Hainan site. I originally put those segments on google flights at got same rate as ITA above. It also qualifies for the limo service and CTU i believe is eligible for the transit hotel.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 25, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:59 pm

Hainan seems like a neat airline.

Last edited by Nazdoom; Nov 25, 2018 at 5:16 pm Reason: -
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
That's a great price. It drops to $2087.30 when push through to the Hainan site. I originally put those segments on google flights at got same rate as ITA above. It also qualifies for the limo service and CTU i believe is eligible for the transit hotel.
Yeah the CTU stop is not actually a stop. I was just posting it as an example. When I'm looking to book my actually tickets I'll try to space it out better... these fares allow a stopover in each direction so there should be no price change.

These $1800 base + $300 YQ fares all expire in December (some as late as Dec 31). I'm hoping that they publish more of the same for 2019. My travel is all pretty much booked through spring, and I don't really want to go in the summer because of the weather, so I'll probably set some fare alerts for fall travel.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
It's not particularly unusual for domestic segments to book into a higher booking class than international segments on a through fare - all the major Chinese carriers (HU, CA, MU, CZ) do it, and it's common on other countries as well (e.g. AI does it heavily in India). The purpose is to ensure that international flights don't end up flying empty because the shorter domestic connecting flights sold out.

US carriers accomplish the same thing through married-segment inventory controls.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually its new routes that get good intro rates. Though nothing has ever been as good as the $1300 RT LAX-CSX R fare pre limo/earning chart deval. Someone told me that CKG isn't super exciting so i skipped on my last trip. If i wasn't 40K points away from 75K, i would have thought about it. I was originally going to status challenge to DL and fly China Southern but cancelled. Now I don't know what i'm doing in 2019 besides my SQ Y+ JFK-SIN flight in January.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like HU has published those cheap fares round-trip LAX-PEK for 2019.

How long does EF usually take to update with new or updated fares published? On matrix I can price a $2214 LAX-CKG-PEK (for example) round trip using fare basis ICLRGUSF next year, and the fare rules on matrix say that it's valid Jan 1 - Apr 24. But when I look it up on EF it's still showing that the fare expires 12/31.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It looks like HU has published those cheap fares round-trip LAX-PEK for 2019.

How long does EF usually take to update with new or updated fares published? On matrix I can price a $2214 LAX-CKG-PEK (for example) round trip using fare basis ICLRGUSF next year, and the fare rules on matrix say that it's valid Jan 1 - Apr 24. But when I look it up on EF it's still showing that the fare expires 12/31.
Should show up EF, not sure why if it doesnt

$2600 out of JFK https://goo.gl/flights/VFZd7
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't mind the extra stop and separate tickets, should be cheaper to reposition to LAX with a ~$250 transcon RT.

Fares out of LAX are so low... lots of competition I guess.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't mind the extra stop and separate tickets, should be cheaper to reposition to LAX with a ~$250 transcon RT.

Fares out of LAX are so low... lots of competition I guess.
Looks like there is a business class fare war LAX-PEK, China eastern, Xiamen, Sichuan Airlines ~2K. China southern was $1400. I had just paid $1100 to do premium on China Southern to SIN but cancelled
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you flown china southern or eastern? They are so cheap... is it halfway decent?

Hainan has pretty good reviews and ratings... it seems "safer"
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I have found HU fares around $~2200 in I class. Specifically YYC-PEK
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:22 pm

Have you flown china southern or eastern? They are so cheap... is it halfway decent?

Hainan has pretty good reviews and ratings... it seems "safer"
HU is really a terrific airline and it surprises me sometimes they are a mainland carrier. Their service, safety, product, and everything that I’ve ever experienced with them is really second to none regarding mainland carriers, and the comfort in J is better than some F cabins (ehm BA).

I would choose HU over many EUropean carriers (actually just about all of them) for safety and comfort.
Loren Pechtel and icelandman2 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Looks like there is a business class fare war LAX-PEK, China eastern, Xiamen, Sichuan Airlines ~2K. China southern was $1400. I had just paid $1100 to do premium on China Southern to SIN but cancelled
Whats annoying is when HU first came to the US with their Changsha route, they offered some of the best business class fares ($1300 ai) but now they don’t seem to be as competitive at all in markets where the price is $1500-2000. I guess people have figured out they are the best chinese carrier to fly up front by far.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:36 am

Was considering trying their business class on my next trip, but noticed long layovers in, say, PEK. Read that while they provide a hotel room, you have to have a roommate?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Was considering trying their business class on my next trip, but noticed long layovers in, say, PEK. Read that while they provide a hotel room, you have to have a roommate?
Only for economy. Your own room in business (per discussion upthread).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.