Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Portland, July 7th @ 6pm. Sign was out, but after 2 attempts I sweet talked my way in (and I am MVP gold which probably helped). There were literally <20 people in the entire club, so I can't understand why they continue to give PP holders such a hard time.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
This sounds like a significant devaluation... I typically use my PP as an arrival lounge for a few minutes, and one may no longer be able to do this
Indeed. agreed!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
PDX is my home airport and there sign is out almost all the time regardless of day and/or time....at any Alaska Lounge the "no PP" sign is not an indication of lounge capacity.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*their (tablet won't let me edit my post)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:45 pm

Was in SEA on 4th July, and walked past the AS lounge, the sign was out that PP cards not accepted. However, we went to the Amex Centurion lounge which was nice (food and drink) and views of Mount Rainier. It was not crowded at all. When we were in ANC (Anchorage) we could use PP card to get into AS lounge there - we were flying AS in pleb.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:31 pm

Sign was out when I left at 3 heading to the Club at Seattle. Flight doesn’t leave until 6:05 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
Truly disappointing and PP does need something on the AS end of the airport.

Also I am in the N AL now. 1:45 PM, maybe 25% full using PP. Pleasantly surprising for mid-day but it is Saturday.
I'm still curious if this will be a money losing or gaining change for AS....
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:45 pm

I walked by the Alaska lounge in Portland at about 11 AM this morning and the sign was out so I went to the movie theater and watched a few of the short features . I walked by the lounge again at 11:30 and the sign has been taken in and I was greeted at the door and am inside now. It is about 50% full. The soup is Chicken Noodle.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Zorak
At ANC this morning ~11:30 I was told "boarding pass for a flight departing within 3 hours" was the agreement for PP. It seemed rather crowded near the buffet area and restrooms but there was mostly open seating in the other direction.
Originally Posted by beckoa
This sounds like a significant devaluation... I typically use my PP as an arrival lounge for a few minutes, and one may no longer be able to do this
While any change can often be hard to swallow, honestly this is a reasonable limitation IMO. While visiting the lounge on arrival may have been a nice perk, it seems like a much more rare situation that one arrives at their destination needing to kill a significant amount of time. It is on departure when you've built in too much time for airport transport or security, or on the layover that one is captive to the airport. So, a reasonable limitation to reduce overcrowding and allow for greater capacity for those more crucial times is fine with me. Capers in PDX, I believe, has had the departure restriction in place for some time.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Really something that makes no sense at all for those that are SFO based and visit/transit SEA a few times a year using Priority Pass. Until Alaska has a lounge at SFO, I just don't see the need to rush and buy an Alaska membership that I'd probably use, at most, a half dozen times a year in Seattle. I should note, as an AA flyer, I did have an Admirals Club membership with them for 16 years and made frequent use of their SFO lounge, as well as east coast lounges (DCA, BOS, JFK, PHL come to mind). I just don't see the value in buying an Alaska lounge membership being based at SFO and flying to east coast destinations that also don't have Alaska lounges (the exception being JFK, but most of my flights have been to EWR).

I still have a few 75K lounge passes I can redeem in Seattle when I'm through there for now. Still waiting for news about the SFO Alaska lounge. Open one there and I probably would purchase a membership.
Technically if you have an AS Lounge membership you're eligible to use the CX lounge at SFO if departing on AS. There is value in that, but only if you don't mind being starting off at Intl A and making your way towards T2. If you have Clear/Pre, this adds maybe 10 min to the total time. Not really worth it imo, and definitely doesn't excuse the fact they don't have a lounge in the terminal at one of the their main hubs...

Sidenote: Is there even any open space in T2 for an AS lounge?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
.If you have Clear/Pre, this adds maybe 10 min to the total time.
What you're not taking into account is irregularities at the SFO T2 checkpoint that makes me want to show up there a good hour before departure, even with PreCheck - everything from holiday peak lines (and those getting free admittance to the PreCheck lines that are clueless about shoes, liquids and laptops) to TSA K9s funneling every passenger into a single line that loops out into the terminal. You just can't show up there 5 mins before boarding starts and assume the lines are running at peak efficiency and you're going to get right through - it might take 30 mins, even with PreCheck.

I'm not going to show up 2 hours early at my home airport to go visit a lounge in another terminal with another round of security for my typical 8am-9am departure (and the Cathay lounge doesn't open until 7:30, so not an option for some of those flights). I want to go directly to the departure terminal for my Alaska flight and get through that security line as my first priority. My typical lounge visit with AA for morning departures was probably 30-45 minutes and I'd head to the gate a few mins before boarding. Alaska needs to offer that same experience at SFO.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Sidenote: Is there even any open space in T2 for an AS lounge?
I've seen some past discussion about building above the terminal, or waiting for one of the current vendors/restaurants to vacate space, but don't know how realistic that is. I think they're just going to have to wait for AA to move to T1 which won't happen until late 2019-2020 when T1 is fully rebuilt.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

My typical lounge visit with AA for morning departures was probably 30-45 minutes and I'd head to the gate a few mins before boarding. Alaska needs to offer that same experience at SFO.
Why not get an Admirals Club Membership? That would give you access to the AC at SFO as well as access to any ALASKA Lounge while traveling on AS/AA.

James
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Why not get an Admirals Club Membership? That would give you access to the AC at SFO as well as access to any ALASKA Lounge while traveling on AS/AA.
Or the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, which includes Admirals Club membership, for only $450.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dayone
Or the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, which includes Admirals Club membership, for only $450.
That's actually cheaper than the $500 I'd have to pay AA for a new membership at the Platinum level, but don't need any new credit cards (and just cancelled a different AA card last year as I made the full move to Alaska - really don't want to reward them for going revenue based for mileage accumulation). Compare that to Alaska at $295 for a membership at the 75K level, though it would be a much better value if they had an SFO property.

I'd have to sort out where the AA east coast lounges are in relation to Alaska gates to decide if there's enough value overall. I don't think AA and Alaska share piers at DCA or BOS, for instance, to want to pay $450-500.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
That's actually cheaper than the $500 I'd have to pay AA for a new membership at the Platinum level, but don't need any new credit cards (and just cancelled a different AA card last year as I made the full move to Alaska - really don't want to reward them for going revenue based for mileage accumulation). Compare that to Alaska at $295 for a membership at the 75K level, though it would be a much better value if they had an SFO property.

I'd have to sort out where the AA east coast lounges are in relation to Alaska gates to decide if there's enough value overall. I don't think AA and Alaska share piers at DCA or BOS, for instance, to want to pay $450-500.
BOS is a S!#t Show! AS has their lounge in Terminal 7, not sure of DCA. I have AC Membership through the Citi Executive Card. I mostly use it for Alaska Lounge Access with the added advantage (pun intended) of accessing the SFO AC even on arrival.

The other benefit is Authourized users, up to 10, also get AC lounge access (only primary to AL)

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.