Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Has anyone ever been denied going through security to get to the CL since it’s in a remote part of the airport that is mostly for UA?
I think the CSA is used to it now. Specifically the PreCheck line folks ^ Have made the shuffle quite a few times.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Signs out at D and N this morning. System is down so processing them by hand. Waited 5m outside N and the sign was pulled in. Simple!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Signs out at D and N this morning. System is down so processing them by hand. Waited 5m outside N and the sign was pulled in. Simple!
Interesting....kinda surprised they would bring the sign IN if the PP system was down....seems like a lot of needless work that wouldn't have to happen if the sign was out...they must have been REALLY bored.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Fact is, Alaska has grown substantially in size- MVPs have swelled, and PP has gotten insanely popular.

Guess what hasn't grown: the Alaska Lounge sizes.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Fact is, Alaska has grown substantially in size- MVPs have swelled, and PP has gotten insanely popular.

Guess what hasn't grown: the Alaska Lounge sizes.
AS has been adding locations... SEA C AL last year, and in 3 days the JFK location. More expansion is on the way. But agree more room will be appreciated.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:54 pm

I think Alaska needs to take a hard look at their airport real estate and try to grow the ALs or find new homes. Even the tiny DL lounges in DTW are bigger than anything we have in SEA, heck the DL lounge in ORD is bigger than anything in the AS network.

Alaska isnt a small, regional carrier anymore with a small core elite base & club membership.

SEA-N is a start, and if the JFK lounge is the same footprint as the old UA lounge, I believe it will be the largest AL in the system.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

Given reports of half empty lounges with the sign out, I don't think capacity issues are the only reason why the sign is out...my guess is that the sign gets put out whenever it gets busy or they think it might get busy and then the sign stays out after it slows done...one of those out of sign out of mind scenarios....PDX is pretty much closed all the time regardless of day of the week or time. I almost never bother checking the SEA Alaska Lounges anymore since they are other lounge options.
Well yea ....
The sign doesn't mean "we are currently at capacity". If it did, then they could start with a standby line ... one person out = one new person in.
The sign is more "we expect that if we let all qualifying folks in now, that during the next 'peak' we'd hit capacity and have to turn away our own members. Therefore we're limiting secondary access at this point to ensure at the next peak we will still have room for primary members". They have a high level idea of anticipated member arrival during the next group(s) of flights. Available capacity right now does not = capacity for primary members 30 minutes from now.
PDX4MSU likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve64
Well yea ....
The sign doesn't mean "we are currently at capacity". If it did, then they could start with a standby line ... one person out = one new person in.
The sign is more "we expect that if we let all qualifying folks in now, that during the next 'peak' we'd hit capacity and have to turn away our own members. Therefore we're limiting secondary access at this point to ensure at the next peak we will still have room for primary members". They have a high level idea of anticipated member arrival during the next group(s) of flights. Available capacity right now does not = capacity for primary members 30 minutes from now.
I totally get that, but since they seem to have such a great idea about when these "peak periods" are going to be, why not just post hours on the PP website when access will not be granted? Lots of other airline lounges do that and it seems to work out fine....not to mention it makes it way easier to plan for PP members....right now it's like a total guessing game about whether the sign will be out or not (although it's mostly out all the time now so I suppose a lot of folks like myself don't even plan for it to be open regardless or time/day).
steve64 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I totally get that, but since they seem to have such a great idea about when these "peak periods" are going to be, why not just post hours on the PP website when access will not be granted? Lots of other airline lounges do that and it seems to work out fine....not to mention it makes it way easier to plan for PP members....right now it's like a total guessing game about whether the sign will be out or not (although it's mostly out all the time now so I suppose a lot of folks like myself don't even plan for it to be open regardless or time/day).
Loads are dynamic as are flight schedules. I'd rather have a larger window of opportunity to maybe get in.
dayone likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:46 pm

PDX, Friday 4/27 8:55 am, no sign out. Did not go in since my flight was already boarding when I passed by, but did pick up some free hot sauce from Capers Market. ^
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rare
PDX, Friday 4/27 8:55 am, no sign out. Did not go in since my flight was already boarding when I passed by, but did pick up some free hot sauce from Capers Market. ^
The Aardvark spicy black bean sauce is tasty ^
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Loads are dynamic as are flight schedules. I'd rather have a larger window of opportunity to maybe get in.
I agree, but when they don't have to specify PP hours, it gives them the opportunity to be closed to PP most of the day/night....if they posted the hours they actually don't have the sign out, it wouldn't "look good"....Priority Pass Hours: 5:15am-5:30am, 12:10pm-12:12pm, 10:35pm-11:00pm....lol.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
The Aardvark spicy black bean sauce is tasty ^
Thanks for the tip! Haven’t tried that one yet. Will try it next time!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:02 pm

Btw, PDXPremier, are you the guy from the VXFarewell flight that had a t shirt with the VXFarewell bag tag on the back?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Btw, PDXPremier, are you the guy from the VXFarewell flight that had a t shirt with the VXFarewell bag tag on the back?
Yep...that was me
UAPremierExec likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.