Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by philemer
You're not old enough to remember that, are you?
Just barely

Back from the days of AS BR members having access to that club, and the CO PC at the B gates. Lots of options then
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
Brings back memories of the old S NW WC.
As I recall it was a Pour Your Own club.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
As I recall it was a Pour Your Own club.
Not in SEA...other locations were.

The bar was on the far wall to the right when you went in.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Not in SEA...other locations were.

The bar was on the far wall to the right when you went in.
That was the new one. Didn't last long after the merger.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

the CO PC at the B gates.
I have an ashtray from that club. A relic from a relic.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I have an ashtray from that club. A relic from a relic.
Oh wow... never thought about having lounges with smoking... a disturbing thought
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Oh wow... never thought about having lounges with smoking... a disturbing thought
How about ashtrays in airline seats? I remember flying to Europe in th 90's when they would ask you if you wanted to sit in smoking or non-smoking before assigning seats. Those that weren't lucky to get a seat in the smoking area would buddy up with a passenger and swap seats when they wanted a cigarette. Back half of the plane could get a little "cloudy." I don't recall anyone getting upset with it though. Of course it was socially accepted then. Even Johnny Carson smoked at his desk during the Tonight Show.

Many airports still have smoking rooms/lounges airside. In Capetown not only do they have a smoking lounge, there are tables and chairs with service from the adjacent restaurant, there is also a cigarette vending machine.

James
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

03/08/2018 SEA D THUR 15:00 PP DENIED

Went to the Alaska lounge in D and was told too busy not allowing entry. She mentioned only lounge available was North Satellite. After arriving there, was allowed entry. Having never been in the lounge was very underwhelmed. We left fairly quickly and then tried our luck at the AS lounge in C. Allowed in without incident. Makes me wonder about being denied at the 1st lounge. Our appearance was not the best and wondering if being denied based on that. But all in all a good experience and the lounge in C was nice.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by tpsmith82

Our appearance was not the best and wondering if being denied based on that. .
I'm intrigued to know what your appearance was?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tpsmith82

Went to the Alaska lounge in D and was told too busy not allowing entry. She mentioned only lounge available was North Satellite. After arriving there, was allowed entry. Having never been in the lounge was very underwhelmed. We left fairly quickly and then tried our luck at the AS lounge in C. Allowed in without incident. Makes me wonder about being denied at the 1st lounge. Our appearance was not the best and wondering if being denied based on that. But all in all a good experience and the lounge in C was nice.
I prefer the C concourse lounge with great views of the airfield for takeoffs and landings. Convenient to the C gates and the escalator to the train for N gates is just outside the door. While a lot of people feel access is arbitrary Alaska is privy to information they just don't have. Alaska knows how many F passengers (not U), Alaska Lounge members, and F award ticket passengers are coming and going, if they are originating in SEA or transiting, what gates they will be arriving at and departing from and historically if they bring a guest. This information is useful in estimating Lounge loads at any given time. It is possible that an almost empty lounge will be full within a short period of time and PP members will be denied. Switch it around, if you had an Alaska Lounge membership and were denied access because the lounge was at capacity with PP members, how would you feel? Access is a privilege, not a right.

For disclosure, I am not a PP Member nor an Alaska Lounge Member, I am 75K and usually fly U. I do have the Citi World Elite credit card which gives me Admirals Club membership. The reciprocal lounge agreement allows me access to any Alaska Lounge (used them all many times) when flying any class with Alaska which is 90% of the time. It also gives me access to Admirals Club as long as I am behind security. It allows me into SFO while flying Alaska and use it as an arrival lounge if SFO is my final destination.

James
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
3/17/18 - SEA C and N - 6:35 a.m. - Sign was out for C and the airport is a zoo, so not seeing the sign at N was a surprise. Walked in only to hear the agent say to the person in front of me that they were at capacity (50% or so based on a quick look) and going to put the sign out. Being inside the door wasn't enough.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have found this thread interesting to read. Especially because we have an upcoming flight through LAX with a 3 hour layover where our only access would be through PP as it is an upgraded fare.

My question: Is this limited access to PP members only an AS Board room problem or does it exist with other airline lounges as well when using a PP?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
3/17/18 - SEA C and N - 6:35 a.m. - Sign was out for C and the airport is a zoo, so not seeing the sign at N was a surprise. Walked in only to hear the agent say to the person in front of me that they were at capacity (50% or so based on a quick look) and going to put the sign out. Being inside the door wasn't enough.
We were going through SEA on Thursday evening at 6pm and sign was out for SEA D.

Going through SEA this morning and your right, what a zoo. The spring breakers are out in force.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by david55
I have found this thread interesting to read. Especially because we have an upcoming flight through LAX with a 3 hour layover where our only access would be through PP as it is an upgraded fare.

My question: Is this limited access to PP members only an AS Board room problem or does it exist with other airline lounges as well when using a PP?
Many of the other lounges (most of which do not sell annual memberships) have limits such as no access between specific hours and time limits. In Moscow, on a transit, I had to wait an hour at the door of the S7 lounge until priority pass hours was to begin. Many of the lounges that were part of it like DL & UA pulled out completely
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by david55

First, yes, other airline lounges limit PP access during peak times due to capacity (although the only place I've ever been denied due to "capacity" issues would be at the AS Lounges). The difference is that the other airlines generally post specific access hours for PP so you don't waste your time walking to a lounge that may not be accepting PP. Most of the lounges in the AS system have the "No PP" sign out at virtually every hour of every day so you're better off expecting you won't have access and then you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do. Personally, and this of course is just my opinion, in the case of AS, I don't think this is always about capacity, especially with multiple reports of the sign being out with half-empty lounges. My guess is that AS will eventually follow the lead of UA and break ties with PP altogether.

At LAX, at certain times of the day you can visit the KAL lounge in the TBIT, but it's a bit of a walk and really not that great of a lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.