Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lalala
How many cubes of Colby cheese can one person consume? I go to the Board Room (TH buys memberships in three year chunks) for the clean bathroom and the mediocre, yet somewhat customizable hot beverages and the hardboiled eggs. I can't imagine picking the lounge clean of anything of substance if I had access to Capers.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just got an update yesterday from Priority Pass that both Caper's locations at PDX now require an OUTBOUND boarding pass in order to receive food/beverage credit....very sad to me since my wife and I have made a habit of stopping at Caper's every time we arrive back at PDX....no more free grocery shopping on arrivals
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Just got an update yesterday from Priority Pass that both Caper's locations at PDX now require an OUTBOUND boarding pass in order to receive food/beverage credit....very sad to me since my wife and I have made a habit of stopping at Caper's every time we arrive back at PDX....no more free grocery shopping on arrivals
It's a manipulation of the system that bit us back. I've grabbed lunch there after arrival, and just like bottles of wine it was good while it lasted.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
It's a manipulation of the system that bit us back. I've grabbed lunch there after arrival, and just like bottles of wine it was good while it lasted.
True...although when I've been able to access the Alaska Lounge at PDX, I'm rarely (if ever) asked for a boarding pass so I'm sure many have stopped there on arrival. I wonder how strict Caper's will be about checking boarding passes.....I know I've been asked once over at the restaurant, but that's it....they have to be making tons of $$ on this partnership so something tells me they're not going to be super strict about this new policy although I'll do my best to follow it
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Unless you are a lounge member, most airport lounges with access via reciprocity/class of service require a boarding pass for the next flight. I've tried this a few times at the Admirals Club in Chicago to no avail (wanted to shower after ANC-ORD), and I believe even PP requires an outbound boarding pass.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

For those who use their PP membership at Capers when the PDX Lounge is full...

Priority Pass has updated their terms to include the following restrictions:
  • You can only visit one of the Capers locations at PDX (Unfounded claim by blogger).
  • You must show an outbound boarding pass to use your Priority Pass discount. (Edited to add: Also now required at Timberline restaurant at DEN.)
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 23, 2018 at 4:55 pm Reason: Remove multiple visit restriction and add DEN info.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dayone

• You can only visit one of the Capers locations at PDX.
  • You must show an outbound boarding pass to use your Priority Pass discount.
Good. I love the benefit and would hate to see it go away due to abuse. I never visit more than one location (or go grocery shopping on my way home), and all my flights are through Portland, i.e., I will always have an outbound boarding pass.

But I wonder if the servers will enforce the second rule. I assume their card reader isn't able to scan boarding passes. And of course many here have more than one PP card (I personally currently have four).
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did you see that you can only visit one of the Capers locations at PDX?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: Dust...
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Good. I love the benefit and would hate to see it go away due to abuse. I never visit more than one location (or go grocery shopping on my way home), and all my flights are through Portland, i.e., I will always have an outbound boarding pass.

But I wonder if the servers will enforce the second rule. I assume their card reader isn't able to scan boarding passes. And of course many here have more than one PP card (I personally currently have four).
I feel the same way. I enjoy the Capers benefit very much, and I actually look forward to it over the Alaska Lounge.

I believe the device that Capers uses to scan is similar, if not the same, as the device used at various lounge locations. If it is, it has the ability to scan your boarding pass which they use to verify your name.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Dust...

I'm curious about this as well. It doesn't appear to be listed on the Priority Pass website from what I can see.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip> very sad to me since my wife and I have made a habit of stopping at Caper's every time we arrive back at PDX....no more free grocery shopping on arrivals
Yes, crazy that an airport lounge program is tamping down on the ability to do free grocery shopping at the end of trip. Who'd have seen that coming?!

This is why we can't have nice things...

Regards
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I can't see PP enforcing "one capers per visit".

Heck, I've visited the same AS lounge twice in the same day, and they scanned my PP card twice. [Several hours apart]
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A blog post (I should know better). If I can't confirm it in the next day or so, I'll edit.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A blog post (I should know better). If I can't confirm it in the next day or so, I'll edit.
Ok, thanks...keep us updated...hopefully it isn't true.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
I noticed Capers marketplace (near D terminal) enforced outbound boarding pass verification every time, but Capers restaurant has never asked me.

Guess we’ll find out how they enforce 1 PP Capers visit per day. My guess is they cannot. Anyone try yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.