Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by akdancer
One suggestion: if the sign is out, check it out inside. Maybe they "forgot" to pull it.
“forgot” 😂
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
11:30 PM ANC AL sign out. Went upstairs anyway and saw someone else getting turned away. Looked busy, but not "to the gills". Unfortunate if it's just winter and this is the case Come summer...
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by akdancer
One suggestion: if the sign is out, check it out inside. Maybe they "forgot" to pull it.
Exactly. We have seen a few of these which lead me to think they may not be too eager to bring it in....
We have also seen many instances of sign out at 50% capacity or less.
It's always puzzling when I am denied for PP entrance but declare I then want to use a 75K pass and I am welcomed in (to find plenty of space). Then they just missed out on a little cash. I know, they are just prioritizing, but are they overdoing this a tad??
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
PDX 5:00pm sign is now out.
Was open the two hours prior. More people leaving than entering since it was put out.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't even try anymore. I've been denied each of the last 5-6 times I've tried to enter with PP, and on most of those there isn't a sign out at all. They just say "it's too busy." Morning, evening, PDX, SEA. No pattern.

I don't understand why they even maintain the partnership. They clearly don't want/need the revenue PP could bring them, and it's absolutely terrible customer service that PP even allows this arrangement to persist. At a minimum, AS should provide a list of set hours for PP entry, as lots of other lounges do. (Yes, that's frustrating too, but at least you don't get the rude surprise.)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't even try anymore. I've been denied each of the last 5-6 times I've tried to enter with PP, and on most of those there isn't a sign out at all. They just say "it's too busy." Morning, evening, PDX, SEA. No pattern.

I don't understand why they even maintain the partnership. They clearly don't want/need the revenue PP could bring them, and it's absolutely terrible customer service that PP even allows this arrangement to persist. At a minimum, AS should provide a list of set hours for PP entry, as lots of other lounges do. (Yes, that's frustrating too, but at least you don't get the rude surprise.)
Ditto to everything you just said....well put.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
LAX yesterday 2/14 approx. 6pm. No sign and admitted cheerfully
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I notice at PDX, the sign rotates in and out about every 30 minutes. If they don't let you in, sometimes if you're by yourself just asking them they might let you in. Otherwise if you just go sit at the restaurant across the way, you'll likely see the sign get removed within 10 to 20 min.

Also, keep in mind that once you enter, you can leave and come back regardless of the sign being out. I usually pop in to get added, then leave to get food and I let them know so they remember me and they let me back in no issue. Verified with them that this is standard procedure.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Agent puts sign out, less work to do, esp.with card scan, sign, enter in computer vs. lounge member self service on pad. Conflict of interest for business?
Yup, and remember that AS agents also are bartenders and do some clean up and stuff. So there is a potential issue with incentive. Let fewer people in, there's literally work and stuff to clean up.

If they push people to buy AS memberships, they will really lose on high volume travelers. I'm a 6 person entries into AS lounges YTD with PP this year. And we're only 1.5 months into the year.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
PDX 5:00pm sign is now out.
Was open the two hours prior. More people leaving than entering since it was put out.
Sign out again at PDX on Thursday afternoon (2-15).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Sign out at LAX on 2/20

Last 3 attempts between SEA and LAX the sign has been out. Flying AS every time. These are 2 of my most frequent airports so PP is losing value quickly if I can never use it. I wonder if either AS or PP know the numbers of people getting turned away. No one is keeping track from what I can tell.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:24 pm

Sign out SEA C afternoon of 2/16/18.
Sign out SEA D on afternoon of 2/19/18.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
Yup, and remember that AS agents also are bartenders and do some clean up and stuff. So there is a potential issue with incentive. Let fewer people in, there's literally work and stuff to clean up.
This is an interesting perspective. The last time I was in an AS lounge, in PDX, was because I was flying AS F. (Paid F - not in U class - on MCI-SEA / PDX is often about $100 above Y. Pretty good deal for the extra EQM/RDM, lounge access, and seat itself.) The sign was out, so none of that Priority Pass riffraff was getting in. And the lounge was fairly empty. No problem getting a seat, no queues for food/drink...just a nice quiet lounge.

Of course, I *liked* that nice, quiet lounge, and for all I know PDX was teeming with PP cardholders at that very moment who would have picked the lounge clean like a swarm of locusts had they been allowed in. But the whole thing seems very arbitrary and a poor reflection on both the AS and PP brands. If someone is connecting in either SEA or PDX and in proximity to an AS lounge, figure there's a decent chance they're *flying AS* and walking away with a negative impression of the brand if they're denied entry into the lounge when they think they should have access.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AS MVP
I will say, that it seems like the PDX lounge has the sign up much more frequently since PP added the several partners at PDX (Capers, House Spirits). In my last 5-10 flights out of PDX the PP sign has always been up, whether its 5a on a weekday or 3p on a saturday when the airport was fairly deserted.

Food is much better at Capers and the drinks are way better at House Spirits. Great wifi throughout the airport. I feel all I'm missing out on at PDX is a quieter place to rest before a flight.

Now at SEA, LAX and others this is not the case. Clearly no other great options, unless you have AMEX Plat, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
This is an interesting perspective. The last time I was in an AS lounge, in PDX, was because I was flying AS F. (Paid F - not in U class - on MCI-SEA / PDX is often about $100 above Y. Pretty good deal for the extra EQM/RDM, lounge access, and seat itself.) The sign was out, so none of that Priority Pass riffraff was getting in. And the lounge was fairly empty. No problem getting a seat, no queues for food/drink...just a nice quiet lounge.

Of course, I *liked* that nice, quiet lounge, and for all I know PDX was teeming with PP cardholders at that very moment who would have picked the lounge clean like a swarm of locusts had they been allowed in. But the whole thing seems very arbitrary and a poor reflection on both the AS and PP brands. If someone is connecting in either SEA or PDX and in proximity to an AS lounge, figure there's a decent chance they're *flying AS* and walking away with a negative impression of the brand if they're denied entry into the lounge when they think they should have access.
How many cubes of Colby cheese can one person consume? I go to the Board Room (TH buys memberships in three year chunks) for the clean bathroom and the mediocre, yet somewhat customizable hot beverages and the hardboiled eggs. I can't imagine picking the lounge clean of anything of substance if I had access to Capers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.