Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
PDX Sunday Oct 29, 7am,

Admitted with my wife by a very friendly lounge attendant who even checked our AS flight time (we were welcomed as PP even before she knew we were flying AS). Lounge is maybe 20% full. If we're feeling adventurous we may go to Capers as well to see what that's like.
Honestly, Capers is the better deal...best to stop there first and then stop at the AS Lounge if time permits. Our "routine" when flying in or out of PDX is to stop by the Caper's Market and pick-up close to $56 worth of food for free...almost feels like grocery shopping for free
IndyHoosier and SightseeMC like this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PDX Sunday Oct 29, 7am,

Admitted with my wife by a very friendly lounge attendant who even checked our AS flight time (we were welcomed as PP even before she knew we were flying AS). Lounge is maybe 20% full. If we're feeling adventurous we may go to Capers as well to see what that's like.
Capers are FAR BETTER. You did not drop by the Caper Cafe which is in the same Concourse C? Hmmm... why would that need to be "adventurous" ??? Very well defined benefits on PP website. Far better food offerings than anything AS lounge could offer...

I am surprised when there are 3 decent options at PDX outside the AS lounge one would still care to go to AS lounge, especially the Capers Cafe and the House Spirits drinking place both are at Concourse C.

Now wish PP would come up with a solution at LAX and DFW.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
(we were welcomed as PP even before she knew we were flying AS).
PP lounge operators may not discriminate based on what airline you're traveling on. They can require a BP but that's for any airline.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
10/29 LAX ~7 PM . Admitted, lunge was roughly 75% full.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
PP lounge operators may not discriminate based on what airline you're traveling on. They can require a BP but that's for any airline.
The restaurants DONT require a BP, they just need a valid PP card to swipe.

OTOH, the cramped AS lounge can always deny PP holders based on Capacity. Flying AS or not makes NO DIFFERENCE unless you are entitled to access based on the Class of Service on your AS flight.

If I am at PDX I would not waste my time at AS lounge when there are 3 other much better options available with 2 right at the same Concourse C.

100% sure one could not get per person $28 worth of foods and $28 worth of drinks at the Concourse C AS lounge. (That does not even include another $28 worth of free foods picked up at Concourse D!) Nothing adventurous required. Just show up with your valid PP card. The alternative places are MORE THAN WELCOME your PP card because that means they have additional business otherwise they may not have. (charge back to PP).
Read somewhere on the net that the House of Spirit received 3000 PP holders on their first month of joining PP, and that meant close to $100,000 additional revenue they most likely would not have.
The restaurant at MIA taped 2 PP cards on the top of the "podium" in front of the restaurant, broadly advertises they are in the program. BTW the allowance at MIA is $30 per visit. Each guest counts as one visit, as very clearly spelled out on PP website.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
It should be noted: please tip your waitstaff if you eat at the sit-down Capers. I've had long chats with bartenders more than once there who say that the majority of PP members buy exactly $28 worth of food/drinks and do not tip. I can be a stingy tipper, and even that's a no-brainer for me.
Happy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:08 pm

I was on an AS flight out of LAX the evening of 10/27. I didn't have time for a lounge visit but as I walked past the elevator to the lounge I noticed that the "no PP" sign wasn't out. A few minutes after arriving at my gate they announced that our flight was delayed. I walked back to the lounge and the sign was out. :/

I wish they'd come up with more LAX options. We used to be spoiled for choice.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
saw a report elsewhere on FT that there was a sign outside the AL suggesting a permanent ban of PP at LAX, but that seems to be refuted by this thread. i will be royally pissed if that is true...considering that every time I want to get into the AL in LAX it's when I'm traveling on AS and usually in upgraded F.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
saw a report elsewhere on FT that there was a sign outside the AL suggesting a permanent ban of PP at LAX, but that seems to be refuted by this thread. i will be royally pissed if that is true...considering that every time I want to get into the AL in LAX it's when I'm traveling on AS and usually in upgraded F.
The airline you're flying has nothing to do with PP entry.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
11/2 - 6:45 am SEA N Lounge - Didn't see a sign and thought I was good to go...until the desk agent said that they weren't accepting PP cards. I said I didn't see the sign out and she said they now only put the sign out if SEA lounges are full (edit: I now see this has been reported earlier in the thread), so that they can direct people to one of the open lounges. She also blamed PP for the problem ("they opened two lounges that aren't in convenient locations") and politely asked if I'd considered buying an Alaska Lounge membership.

Trucked over to C so I could get some pancakes. When I said that the N Lounge had sent me there, the agents there said that and D being full must be why they'd gotten a bunch of PP cardholders all the sudden. Said if it kept up they'd be full. C Lounge is currently less than half full.

Last edited by RaginPlainsman; Nov 2, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
That would explain why the sign was not out the last time I went to D and they denied me.... despite it being only 25% full upstairs
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:24 pm

Well it was good while it lasted. No more PP beer and wine to go from Capers.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
11/2 - 6:45 am SEA N Lounge - Didn't see a sign and thought I was good to go...until the desk agent said that they weren't accepting PP cards. I said I didn't see the sign out and she said they now only put the sign out if SEA lounges are full (edit: I now see this has been reported earlier in the thread), so that they can direct people to one of the open lounges. She also blamed PP for the problem ("they opened two lounges that aren't in convenient locations") and politely asked if I'd considered buying an Alaska Lounge membership.

Trucked over to C so I could get some pancakes. When I said that the N Lounge had sent me there, the agents there said that and D being full must be why they'd gotten a bunch of PP cardholders all the sudden. Said if it kept up they'd be full. C Lounge is currently less than half full.
This is really wrong! What's going on?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by philemer
This is really wrong! What's going on?
The available evidence suggests that AS management is having an attack of the stupids. One hopes they recover soon.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:30 am

I was finally able to use my priority pass for the first time. Got into the Alaska Lounge / North Terminal location at SEA, around 900pm last night (11/2). I saw the sign out at PDX on 10/30 around 6am, but I didn't care to go in that day anyhow. Got some to-go items from the Capers location in the D terminal. Very, very nice benefit. I feel like its bound to be reduced or go away in time from people trying to abuse it. There are times where I want to go into the lounge and have a drink or whatever, but more often than not a benefit like the Capers one appeals to me more, where I can either get some real food or get something to go for when I'm on the plane.

I did notice on the Priority Pass website it says excludes bottle sales & merchandise at Capers. Is that new? I'm wondering if they are trying to crack down on people using it to buy wine, or if that language has always been there and isn't really accurate. Speaking of inaccurate, I tried entering the Turkish lounge at IAD yesterday and was told Priority Pass members aren't allowed in until after 4pm. It doesn't mention that anywhere on the PP website, nor is there a sign outside the lounge regarding this. But apparently it's well known because when I went back just after 4pm, there was a line about 25 or 30 people deep waiting to get into the lounge with their priority passes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.