Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Stopped by the Caper's Market (in D) around 9:45pm last night and they were still open. Since we were arriving, I didn't bother checking to see if the AS Lounge had the "no PP" sign-out. The Caper's Cafe in C looked pretty much shut down although I think it was "officially" still open. If you're wanting to sit down and have a meal, the Cafe is for sure the place to go, but if you just want to pick up some to-go food, go to the Market across from the D TSA checkpoint.

Since it was my first time using my PP benefit there, I double checked with the cashier who was pleasant, but not too excited about discussing the PP benefit...maybe she was just ready to go home Anyway, since my wife and I both had PP and we each had a kid with us, we picked up over $100 worth of groceries for free....everything from fresh blueberries, beef jerkey, individual cereal bowels with milk, dried apples, juice, etc. I must admit that it did feel a bit awkward and I wonder what others around us thought seeing us buy so much, but it was fun non-the-less We even gave our parking lot shuttle driver a $9 bag of jerkey as his "tip"

The next time I'm there during a meal time, I'd like to try a meal at the Cafe.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This past Friday night C lounge. Denied on Priority Pass but allowed in on F boarding pass (thanks to AS rebooking us from U to F for the last let after a swap from QX to OO). She was explicit that without that F boarding pass she would've denied is due to overcrowding.

It was pretty packed and the new lounge is not that big so it would've been fair to deny us.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I must admit that it did feel a bit awkward and I wonder what others around us thought seeing us buy so much, but it was fun non-the-less
It's easy to spot the PP shoppers at Capers. They're the ones going "Oh, I'll take two of those, too" when they already an armload of stuff. This benefit is yet another reason I prefer to connect through PDX instead of SEA.

I doubt I'll ever be able to get a $28 PP credit at Anthony's though
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by finlandia
It's easy to spot the PP shoppers at Capers. They're the ones going "Oh, I'll take two of those, too" when they already an armload of stuff. This benefit is yet another reason I prefer to connect through PDX instead of SEA.

I doubt I'll ever be able to get a $28 PP credit at Anthony's though
Slightly OT, but since you brought up Anthony's....my wife and I were on our way to Seattle for a weekend getaway and we decided to take the ferry and stay in Bremerton since the downtown SEA hotels were super expensive at the time. I had never eaten at Anthony's before, but noticed how reasonable their walk-up prices were at the SEA airport so when we saw an Anthony's in Bremerton we decided to eat there....yikes....it's either a different Anthony's or the prices were sky high due to being a sit-down version of their restaurant...we wanted to have a tasty dinner, but not break the bank so we left
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Should be in a PP thread @ Capers... but is there wine or beer "to go" at the C location of Capers at all? On tighter connections it is a bit of a trek to the D location.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Denied for PP in N BR 9/9/17.

Looked 30% full, but a lot of flights arriving at once based off train loads.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:36 am

Quick ride to C BR and was let in "for you" and my guest ^

Just a quick visit as I want to go snag a shower @ AX lounge (yes AS, we want showerS in the Flagship N BR.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
Originally Posted by beckoa
Quick ride to C BR and was let in "for you" and my guest ^

Just a quick visit as I want to go snag a shower @ AX lounge (yes AS, we want showerS in the Flagship N BR.
I can live without showers in a airport lounge and the overhead / expense that would be passed on to the members. If I need a shower I simply go to my hotel before my meetings. I don't get that dirty when I'm in an airplane.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tbau
I can live without showers in a airport lounge and the overhead / expense that would be passed on to the members. If I need a shower I simply go to my hotel before my meetings. I don't get that dirty when I'm in an airplane.
Somehow American Express is able to have showers in their lounges for significantly less cost than the AS Lounge charges.

Not everyone wanting a shower is headed to a meeting and a hotel. Some of us have arrived after a long day and a late night red-eye flight. Some even arrive in the morning and are headed straight to meetings, precluding the ability to check in to a hotel (at 7am) and use a shower.

I admit that AS's route network doesn't lend itself to people needing it that often (due to the lack of red-eye transcons), but those of us flying red-eyes from Alaska would appreciate their existence (and do appreciate the ones in the Amex lounge).
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
Originally Posted by jackal
Somehow American Express is able to have showers in their lounges for significantly less cost than the AS Lounge charges.

Not everyone wanting a shower is headed to a meeting and a hotel. Some of us have arrived after a long day and a late night red-eye flight. Some even arrive in the morning and are headed straight to meetings, precluding the ability to check in to a hotel (at 7am) and use a shower.

I admit that AS's route network doesn't lend itself to people needing it that often (due to the lack of red-eye transcons), but those of us flying red-eyes from Alaska would appreciate their existence (and do appreciate the ones in the Amex lounge).
I very well could be in the minority of Lounge membership that would never use a shower. Maybe I'd be the only Lounge member who wouldn't use a shower, I'm simple. If one were added, I do think the cost would be passed along to the membership. Whether American Express is cheaper or not doesn't mean Alaska would absorb the additional costs to install and operate a shower facility. But maybe they would and that would be great for everyone. I'm admittedly ignorant whether or not they'd consider that.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:52 pm

AS however will spend the additional cost to remove showers when configuring lounges...aka SEA C.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I like showers for red eyes. If I've had to check out of my hotel at noon and have been out in the city and active all day sometimes I like a shower before getting on my flight. If not and I do a redeye there have been times I have showered at the lounge and changed clothes and headed on to the office
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jackal
I’m actually with Mrs. philemer on this one. One of my happiest discoveries when I started flying UA was that cereal was available for breakfast both on-board in F and in the United Clubs.

The novelty of the pancake machine wore off after a year or so. Now, it’s objectively meh. You can have your waxy, cardboardy autopancakes. I’ll take cereal any day of the week.
Amen, brother. Now, if they'd add Mini Wheats with fruit in the middle.....
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Stopped by the Caper's Market (in D) around 9:45pm last night and they were still open. Since we were arriving, I didn't bother checking to see if the AS Lounge had the "no PP" sign-out. The Caper's Cafe in C looked pretty much shut down although I think it was "officially" still open. If you're wanting to sit down and have a meal, the Cafe is for sure the place to go, but if you just want to pick up some to-go food, go to the Market across from the D TSA checkpoint.

Since it was my first time using my PP benefit there, I double checked with the cashier who was pleasant, but not too excited about discussing the PP benefit...maybe she was just ready to go home Anyway, since my wife and I both had PP and we each had a kid with us, we picked up over $100 worth of groceries for free....everything from fresh blueberries, beef jerkey, individual cereal bowels with milk, dried apples, juice, etc. I must admit that it did feel a bit awkward and I wonder what others around us thought seeing us buy so much, but it was fun non-the-less We even gave our parking lot shuttle driver a $9 bag of jerkey as his "tip"

The next time I'm there during a meal time, I'd like to try a meal at the Cafe.
Thanks for the info. I have a question though: Did you have to show the credit card associated with the PP membership? Driver's license? We'll be there next month & looking forward to a big breakfast at the Cafe.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
You just show the PP card and they swipe it. No ID or anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.