Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
It's my hope that come August/September, a large majority of CSR holders disappear when the AF is due. I agree that this is part of the problem. Also, the PDX lounge is super small, which doesn't help.
I don't know. The people that I know that have the CSR view the card as having a $150 AF due to the $300 travel credit which can pretty much be used for everything. I also don't think it helps that AMEX now allows 2 guests with the PP obtained through the Plat charge card.

So the "$150" AF isn't really all that bad.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:27 pm

I agree with you that it is very useful for a lot of people...but Chase approved a crazy amount of people for the card. I don't know the %, but I'd guess a fair amount of them were people that really can't afford/shouldn't have the card if it wasn't for the 100k sign up bonus.

Even lounge access one or two times a year doesn't make up for the AF if you don't frequently use it. I feel like the majority of people in the lounges are very infrequent flyers that happen to have PP through the CSR for now. I don't think that frequent flyers with the PP are making up the brunt of the capacity problems. Those same frequent flyers were there the year before without these issues. And they'll be there next year too.

Certainly no guarantee, but i do hope this is a temporary situation that resolves itself to a much more manageable position in the fall as people don't renew the CSR.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by berliner5000
I don't know. The people that I know that have the CSR view the card as having a $150 AF due to the $300 travel credit which can pretty much be used for everything. I also don't think it helps that AMEX now allows 2 guests with the PP obtained through the Plat charge card.

If you read some non-travel forums, there are plenty of people who "bought" the card for a year because it was such a good deal, but as they don't travel much, they plan to cancel after one year.

Of course, those same people also generally don't line up at the AS Clubs for free pancakes.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by berliner5000

Sure, but keep in mind that $150 out of pocket than the windfall sign-up bonus CSR was offering. IIRC it was some $1,500 worth of travel, so it was an instant profit if you could qualify for the card and meet the spend.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Denied just now in concourse d. The sign out front now excludes day passes and lounge buddy day passes, not just priority pass and lounge pass.

Neil
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Hmm so that's a no to the day passes issued to 75Ks as well, huh?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Hmm so that's a no to the day passes issued to 75Ks as well, huh?
Yep....I think it was only a matter of time before they started limiting the day passes....people were using them as their ace card when they couldn't get into the lounge with PP. Honestly, I don't think it will be long before paid first class AS passengers will be denied as a matter of policy, especially since it's sorta unique to AS (DL, UA, and AA don't allow paid domestic first passengers into their lounges).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
Denied just now in concourse d. The sign out front now excludes day passes and lounge buddy day passes, not just priority pass and lounge pass.

Neil
Do you have a picture of this sign? LoungeBuddy passes should always be guaranteed.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yep....I think it was only a matter of time before they started limiting the day passes....people were using them as their ace card when they couldn't get into the lounge with PP. Honestly, I don't think it will be long before paid first class AS passengers will be denied as a matter of policy, especially since it's sorta unique to AS (DL, UA, and AA don't allow paid domestic first passengers into their lounges).
Fake news alert: Negative ghost rider. That is inaccurate information. I was in the D Lounge SEA today on one of my 75k freebie passes. I didn't even read the sign on the way in but it was on the pedestal outside the door.

Cmon now, AS wouldn't deny an elite flyer on a comped (status) pass. SMH.

10 seconds ago however I listened to a Priority Pass denial at PDX - the Sign is up here too. I inquired with the team for clarification.

No day passes means they won't sell one but they will ALWAYS honor our 75K freebies. No questions asked. They know from where the butter for the bread comes

I suspect although they didn't confirm or deny that a dissolution of the priority pass relationship is coming.

They are protecting their own members.

Chris

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Apr 3, 2017 at 6:45 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by cooltyler
Do you have a picture of this sign? LoungeBuddy passes should always be guaranteed.
Lounge buddy is being capacity restricted as well. Confirmed just now at PDX.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil
Wonder if that includes the discounted day pass for Guest #3 or more? Or using a prepurchased day pass (aside from the complimentary 75K ones)? I know the PDX BR would sell advance discount day passes to members for their unaccompanied guests.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
No day passes means they won't sell one but they will ALWAYS honor our 75K freebies. No questions asked. They know from where the butter for the bread comes
I was going to say... definitely don't want to upset your 75Ks. If they restricted 75K lounge passes, there's really no reason to go after 75K status except for the higher upgrade priority and additional 25% RDM.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I was going to say... definitely don't want to upset your 75Ks. If they restricted 75K lounge passes, there's really no reason to go after 75K status except for the higher upgrade priority and additional 25% RDM.

The 50k bonus RDM for reaching 75k aren't worth it? I mean, we are talking about four one-day passes to the club here, right? I'd value those at < $100 total.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The 50k bonus RDM for reaching 75k aren't worth it? I mean, we are talking about four one-day passes to the club here, right? I'd value those at < $100 total.
Depends who you fly with primarily. If you fly with airlines like CX/EK/BA to earn AS status the 100%+ bonus miles you get in addition to the 100% MVPG bonus RDMs make it a moot point imo.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends who you fly with primarily. If you fly with airlines like CX/EK/BA to earn AS status the 100%+ bonus miles you get in addition to the 100% MVPG bonus RDMs make it a moot point imo.
Feel free to send me your moot point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.