Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I have lounge paid access, pp via amex platinum and I used those pp restaurants in PDX today. For two of is we had soup and salad and it was less than 50$. 56 will be covered under one card. It was a great option and I hope it stays like that. After, we went to as lounge and enjoyed cappuccinos. I agree with others that PDX boardroom needs to triple the size and still I foresee pp members being denied. But I recommend to everyone to buy a membership and you will be granted access always
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
The PDX AL is going to only get worse, unless they significantly enlarge this space or rethink access policies.
Was a second location in the B gates area promised, or just rumored/desired here? There's construction going on there which might be buildout.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:03 pm

Lounge in PDX was full on morning of 8/4. Was sent to cafe. Had breakfast and took a bottle of water/juice for flight and credit of $28 was applied to bill.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Here's a new one: Schlepped my way upstairs to the new C club about an hour ago. Showed my PP card; agent said that the lounge was full and they couldn't accommodate PP guests. I said "I didn't see the sign out that said that." She said "We've decided it's better customer relations to let guests come in and explain personally that they can't be admitted."

I said, "No, it's not. But thank you anyway."
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Fully agreed
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Red face

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Here's a new one: Schlepped my way upstairs to the new C club about an hour ago. Showed my PP card; agent said that the lounge was full and they couldn't accommodate PP guests. I said "I didn't see the sign out that said that." She said "We've decided it's better customer relations to let guests come in and explain personally that they can't be admitted."

Yepper - to deny you to your face and watch you scurry off back to the hoards of humanity is far more satisfying for the lounge dragons.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Sorry, I will never call one of the AS lounge agents a "dragon." They have never been anything but 100% professional and cordial (even in the face of insults in person and online) to me, even when enforcing a policy that they didn't make.

So, no, I have no sense whatsoever that either agent took any joy in turning me away.
mbluecpa, dgreen12 and flymonthly like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Sorry, I will never call one of the AS lounge agents a "dragon." They have never been anything but 100% professional and cordial (even in the face of insults in person and online) to me, even when enforcing a policy that they didn't make.

So, no, I have no sense whatsoever that either agent took any joy in turning me away.
Not only this, but it also allows one to see how crowded the lounge is, and doesn't allow one to "forget" to remove the sign.

Just wish I knew the formula used
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti

Great now we get to take the walk of shame down the stairs at C.

At least if the sign is out I won't waste anymore time.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, United Silver, Marriott Gold
Politely denied everywhere

Flying up front but on a U fare with my girlfriend, I am Gold and she is MVP, each are PP. We were politely denied at N ( Sunday at 4:45pm) and politely informed that all Alaska rooms are too full for us. So at least we didn't make the run to D. We'll just absorb the BK/12th Man airborne grease at N1.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

Wow... you didn't have a guest, just you?
What would really tick me off is if I walked all the way down to the end of the C concourse expecting to get in when I could have gotten in the D lounge. Do I need to check in at D lounge every time first and have them call over to check?? "I would stay here but C lounge is nicer, can you call and see if they are accepting PP because sometimes they are turning away people again now...."
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Anyone optimistic that this situation may calm
down to a dull roar when families with children stop traveling after Labor Day?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Perhaps, only to become pessimistic again when the crowding returns for the holidays.

Originally Posted by mbluecpa
Was a second location in the B gates area promised, or just rumored/desired here? There's construction going on there which might be buildout.
When I mentioned my disappointment with the overcrowding in PDX at Alaska Listens, I got this response:
I sincerely apologize that you were unable to fully enjoy your recent flight as a result of the boardroom was overcrowded . Our goal is to fully serve our customers expectations and to provide a comfortable and safe flight for all of our passengers. For this reason, we regularly use feedback from our customers when considering how to make any process a more comfortable and convenient one. That said, I have taken the liberty of sharing your comments with the Boardroom Director for their review.
The PDX AL staff also said they (Alaska) are still exploring options with the POP for more space, so I don't believe the construction work in B is for a second or expanded AL. I think they are improving that area as better gate space, which may include a third gate?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Not only this, but it also allows one to see how crowded the lounge is, and doesn't allow one to "forget" to remove the sign.

Just wish I knew the formula used

Please, it's disrespectful of customer's time. If they're going to be denied, the sign is effective, and the customer can move onto some other lounge, AMEX, Starbucks, etc.
jackal and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Uh, I highly doubt it....I said all along that this is most likely not a capacity issue...if you read back at the reports in this thread, PP members have been denied admittance when the lounge has been less than 50% full and they have been allowed in when the lounge has been near capacity...literally no rhyme or reason. For months the line in SEA was, "when the new C lounge opens up, things should improve", but now that the lounge is open, we're in the same situation as before. My guess is that AS is waiting for the PP contracts to expire and then plans to drop the affiliation at that time. PP obviously sees the writing on the wall and to their credit has been making strides at providing suitable replacements for their members (Caper's Market/Cafe in PDX and extended hours the Club at SEA).

Personally, I consider it an unexpected surprise when I am able to use PP to visit an Alaska Lounge. I also understand Alaska's perspective in trying to make their lounges a bit more exclusive which I'm sure they hope translates into a higher % of lounge memberships.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.