Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Processor Glitches

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Finkface
Or not. I got an email this morning saying the downgauged E75-to-CRJ is now overbooked so I took a $300 voucher to take the next flight. Not bad for PDX-SEA.
Lemons to lemonade
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
On my recent PDX-ANC flight, the guy at the window is a Gold and was livid that he kept getting pushed down on the list; he even had a heated argument with Alaska. He went on to say how he pays to fly, not some company, etc etc. Cry me a river. I told him I was 75K for years and missed it due to the American/Delta cutbacks (would do a LOT of "A" class of service flying up and down the east coast which meant lots of EQMs). Just surprised he wasn't aware how the upgrade lists work. I told him as a 75K I've been #20 on a list before, of 65.

Lots of us at FlyerTalk are informed, but the masses, are not. I don't feel bad for "spilling the beans" on our not-so-secret-but-was method of cutting the upgrade list. Alaska has known about this for at least a year, and they even passed up using Virgin America's AirRM (Revenue Management - changes fare classes & buckets based on whatever calculations and algorithms you program it to do) system which could be setup to zero out U inventory on day of departure to manage inventory. Instead, Alaska chose a different system. I firmly believe that U and W classes are "protected" - which means when a customer who is booked in that class of service changes, that seat goes BACK into that specific bucket, regardless of how full or empty the flight is.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
o
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I firmly believe that U and W classes are "protected" - which means when a customer who is booked in that class of service changes, that seat goes BACK into that specific bucket, regardless of how full or empty the flight is.
I'm not sure of that. I cancelled a recent airfare that was UG'd already and tried to immediately rebook using a birthday discount code. Guess what, I ended up flying P instead because U didn't come back within several Days, maybe longer. My intent, obviously was to rebuy for cheaper and maintain the UG. Instead, I paid more and got CoS bonus but rode with my friends upfront.

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Mar 1, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
On my recent PDX-ANC flight, the guy at the window is a Gold and was livid that he kept getting pushed down on the list; he even had a heated argument with Alaska. He went on to say how he pays to fly, not some company, etc etc. Cry me a river. I told him I was 75K for years and missed it due to the American/Delta cutbacks (would do a LOT of "A" class of service flying up and down the east coast which meant lots of EQMs). Just surprised he wasn't aware how the upgrade lists work. I told him as a 75K I've been #20 on a list before, of 65.

Lots of us at FlyerTalk are informed, but the masses, are not. I don't feel bad for "spilling the beans" on our not-so-secret-but-was method of cutting the upgrade list. Alaska has known about this for at least a year, and they even passed up using Virgin America's AirRM (Revenue Management - changes fare classes & buckets based on whatever calculations and algorithms you program it to do) system which could be setup to zero out U inventory on day of departure to manage inventory. Instead, Alaska chose a different system. I firmly believe that U and W classes are "protected" - which means when a customer who is booked in that class of service changes, that seat goes BACK into that specific bucket, regardless of how full or empty the flight is.
I think W and A behave in this manner, U not so much.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Lemons to lemonade
Indeed. And they gave me a hotel in PDX. And the direct flight to my destination tomorrow instead of connecting through SEA. Not unhappy at all.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
o

I'm not sure of that. I cancelled a recent airfare that was UG'd already and tried to immediately rebook using a birthday discount code. Guess what, I ended up flying P instead because U didn't come back within several Days, maybe longer. My intent, obviously was to rebuy for cheaper and maintain the UG. Instead, I paid more and got CoS bonus but rode with my friends upfront.
Or it's possible (likely) that someone had purchased an eligible instant upgrade fare class and had been waitlisted, thereby taking your U spot and getting a spot up front. Seat map may not have changed because I find that when upgraded, AS doesn't assign a seat until the passenger goes in and selects one for themselves.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:35 pm

another data point. At check-in (~3 hours before departure) I was offered an upgrade for $53 (1 U was available on AS website). 75k sitting at #3 on the upgrade list. I ended up purchasing the upgrade as an exercise to see how AS would field this scenario. Called the 75k line, agent insisted that the process was by design - ie AS does this intentionally to sell U spots & raise $$$. My first time in ~5 years as a 75k being offered a paid upgrade. Can't imagine this was by design and would bet the house it was a symptom of their flawed upgrade processor. Thoughts?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by damieniz1
another data point. At check-in (~3 hours before departure) I was offered an upgrade for $53 (1 U was available on AS website). 75k sitting at #3 on the upgrade list. I ended up purchasing the upgrade as an exercise to see how AS would field this scenario. Called the 75k line, agent insisted that the process was by design - ie AS does this intentionally to sell U spots & raise $$$. My first time in ~5 years as a 75k being offered a paid upgrade. Can't imagine this was by design and would bet the house it was a symptom of their flawed upgrade processor. Thoughts?
send feedback about the upgrade situation and the agent performance to [email protected]
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Normally when we do that workaround as damieniz1 mentioned, the fee goes away and its free for us as MVP Gold or 75K.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please ask AS for a refund.

An AS elite should not be charged for an upgrade.

This is a fault of the upgrade processor.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I dealt with that scenario out of Boston. Tried to charge me for the upgrade. Called MVP line and by the time they figured it out the system had kicked me out and I lost out on my upgrade. Agent told me next time just pay and they would refund me.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Yep. See my experience in December
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29186100-post486.htmlAS Twitter said the same thing. AS phone rep and @missydarlin both confirmed that the fee was a glitchPS edit: I was trying to link to the thread at post 486 not post 486 as a stand alone comment. Any help would be appreciated. Mods feel free to delete this PS edit
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Originally Posted by PDX4MSU
Yep. See my experience in December
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29186100-post486.htmlAS Twitter said the same thing. AS phone rep and @missydarlin both confirmed that the fee was a glitchPS edit: I was trying to link to the thread at post 486 not post 486 as a stand alone comment. Any help would be appreciated. Mods feel free to delete this PS edit
holy formatting issues, Batman. I’ve tried fixing it and adding line breaks but today just isn’t my day. “I guess I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.”
PV_Premier and pbelmore like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got automatically upgraded at T-48 (I'm MVP). The email arrived 6 minutes after my upgrade window opened. So I guess it works sometimes?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So I guess it works sometimes?
Yep, and the inconsistency is probably the most maddening part.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.