Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

International flight.. marketed by AA, operated by BA.Using AS mileagePlan for credit

International flight.. marketed by AA, operated by BA.Using AS mileagePlan for credit

Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice

I am travelling SFO-LHR on AA marketed flight, operated by BA. (Ticket has AA flight number as AA record locator)
As I am MVP gold, I want to credit miles to AS so I can get double the miles. Ticket class is "V" (so I guess I will get 75% of miles plus same as bonus).

Two questions:
1) Am I eligible for seat upgrade with this ticket class? can I do it online before the travel or should I wait till check-in at airport? Trip is about 3 weeks away..
2) checked baggage is 1 bag but AA allows 2 free checked bags for alaska MVP Gold.. Does this policy apply for international travel as well or just domestic?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
AS only gives you miles on partner when the flights are both operated and marketed by the said partner.
At least that's the theory. I've read stories of people not inputing any frequent flyer number and then sending to AS the boarding passes of the operating carrier to get the credit according to the operating carrier's table on AS.
This is technically violating the rules but it seems some people have succeeded.

What kind of upgrade are you trying to do, with what upgrade instrument? If you are trying to use AA miles, the table linked here clearly does not include V as an upgradable bucket.

You would need a W premium economy ticket to upgrade to business or Y economy to upgrade to premium economy.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Your questions have nothing to do with AA since you're not crediting to the AA program and AA isn't flying the plane.

Originally Posted by desikid
1) Am I eligible for seat upgrade with this ticket class?
No. AS elites don't get complimentary upgrades on BA metal and since AS isn't a oneworld airline you won't even be able to pick good coach/business seats unless you pay $$$. It's also a longhaul flight, complimentary upgrades are not a thing for TATL.

(You do get Galleries lounge access in LHR as an AS MVPG though.)

PS: by rule, codeshares do not credit on AS, metal and ticket must match. In practice if you mail in the BA boarding pass you may well get credit, but just understand by rule, they must match, or you get nothing.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...h-airways.aspx

Qualify for mileage accrual

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and (emphasis added) your flight must be marketed and operated by British Airways.
Your ticket is AA marketed, BA operated. (Might not also get the same mileage credit you think you will.. BA "V" is 50% on AS. God only knows what the underlying BA code is. BA doesn't have a 75% bucket for AS accrual as you can see on the chart.)

2) checked baggage is 1 bag but AA allows 2 free checked bags for alaska MVP Gold.. Does this policy apply for international travel as well or just domestic?
This also doesn't have anything to do with AA. AS policies for free checked baggage on AA don't mean squat here because you're not flying AA. BA's rules for your ticket govern. No extra luggage allowances for you.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 24, 2017 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for alerting me about getting no miles for this trip.

What FF program should I use? AA or BA for this trip so my miles are not wasted? I had registered for BA global triple avios program but I thought AS will give me more miles so I was inclined to use AS..
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks guys for alerting me about getting no miles for this trip.

What FF program should I use? AA or BA for this trip so my miles are not wasted? I had registered for BA global triple avios program but I thought AS will give me more miles so I was inclined to use AS..
You MIGHT get AS miles (lots of folks do on these kinds of tickets).

I'd probably go for the triple BA Avios if not willing to chance it on AS, you'd get enough for something to redeem (possibly even on AS).
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this has to do with earning miles on AS, I'll move over to that forum.

aztimm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:12 pm

I've never had a problem getting AS miles when both the operating and marketing carrier are partners. It won't happen automatically though.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot
I've never had a problem getting AS miles when both the operating and marketing carrier are partners. It won't happen automatically though.
I've never realized there was this rule. I've got a big trip coming up that I purchased with BA, but there are some AA operated (BA Marketed) flights in the itinerary. Is it wise to tie my AS number to them or should I just leave it off all together and then submit the boarding passes at a later date?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by badgersfly
I've never realized there was this rule. I've got a big trip coming up that I purchased with BA, but there are some AA operated (BA Marketed) flights in the itinerary. Is it wise to tie my AS number to them or should I just leave it off all together and then submit the boarding passes at a later date?
Having you AS number on the itinerary won't hurt anything, but reports of those flights automatically crediting are very rare.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:23 am
Original Poster

I twitted to AS about actual mile to be awarded as MVP gold and the response was for American Airlines flight 6188 operated by british airways LHR-SFO ticket class M, You would get 50% of the actual miles which would be 2,686 miles. On British you receive miles based on your class of service. I know you purchased on American but miles are based on operating carrier.
I am not sure if I will get 100% bonus on this flight.. Has anyone experience with receiving bonus miles as MVP gold member in similar scenario?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Yes, you will still get the 100% bonus, as I think you get it for any flown miles that end up in your account - of course, it will only be 100% of the miles you earn for that flight. I've had a similar situation (1 partner marketed, 1 operated) and gotten the MVP Gold bonus.

And regarding this situation, AS has the "no miles" rule on their page, but I, too, have reached out to them and they've said that as long as the airlines are both partners, they'll always credit miles, and always based on the operating carrier.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
(You do get Galleries lounge access in LHR as an AS MVPG though.)
I thought lounge access is only provided to people traveling LHR-SEA, or at least that's what's said on AS's website?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Hoosier1710
Yes, you will still get the 100% bonus, as I think you get it for any flown miles that end up in your account - of course, it will only be 100% of the miles you earn for that flight. I've had a similar situation (1 partner marketed, 1 operated) and gotten the MVP Gold bonus.

And regarding this situation, AS has the "no miles" rule on their page, but I, too, have reached out to them and they've said that as long as the airlines are both partners, they'll always credit miles, and always based on the operating carrier.
This is all great news. Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Update.. I also reached out to BA and they confirmed that I will get triple avios as part of global triple avios promo...
So, I think I will now get triple avios rather than double AS miles.. 7500 avios Vs 5000 alaska miles
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:09 am

Similar question... BA-marketed flight, BA code, operated by Aer Lingus. If I give them my AS number, what are the odds I'll get credit? thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.