Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye-Bye AS upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LaneW
No.. .welcome to the new AS has totally discarded their loyalty to their formerly loyal customers. Pathetic.
I think I am going to have to disagree based solely on how I have been treated this month. I have been upgraded in four trips this month. I had a trip that involved TWO separate PNRs, not linked in any manner yet due to a delay on my first trip I missed my second leg (both AS flights). AS rebooked me, offering me a choice of the next day on AS direct, or that day on AA with a connection thru DFW. I have experienced very nice service on all my flights, and on the flight that did have the extra leg room I was blown away by how nice it was to NOT be bothered by someone reclining in my tray even when in FC. That is not to say the month has not been without its issues, but honestly, AS has come through for me as an elite IMHO. In some ways, it almost seems to be a bit of a feeding frenzy with everyone crying "the sky is falling" type of thing when I am not so sure it actually is falling. Like Seattlenerd says.. wait and see if you really are NOT upgraded, wait and see if you get stuck in middle seats, wait and see if it is really as bad as you fear. (but of course, do not book VX expecting to get the same treatment as an AS elite!)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
No.. .welcome to the new AS has has totally discarded their loyalty to their formerly loyal customers. Pathetic.
So when I called in to reschedule my LA day trip the other week due to the weather waiver, the reservation agent who preemptively upgraded me in both directions was part of the grand conspiracy to disregard my loyalty? Got it.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
No.. .welcome to the new AS has has totally discarded their loyalty to their formerly loyal customers. Pathetic.
Lane, really now... Totally discarded? Tsk tsk... Speaking as a 75K, I can't think of a U.S. airline that takes better care of its elites.

That said, I encourage you to go out and explore your other options. If you would be willing to let us know how your experience as an elite with other airlines compared, I for one would look forward to once again hearing your thoughts at that time.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
This entire entitlement to upgrades thing has gotten way out of hand. The goal of any airline is to sell their seats - including very definitely their 1st class ones. Recognizing that they will sometimes/often have unsold seats in 1st they then (and only then) can use that excess inventory to provide a benefit to elites. After all, at that point it doesn't really cost them anything and it recognizes loyalty. But across the board folks often seem to have come to believe that those upgrades are due them. The only place where I might even slightly agree would be with designated upgrade certificates that some airlines market at a concrete benefit. (GGUs on Alaska are close to those but I'm really thinking of things like UAs GPUs and RPUs.) With those there is at least the implication that they will have actual value but even with those usually not. Back when 1st class fares were ridiculously high everyone complained that those fares were absurd. Now the airlines have realized that pricing F at a reasonable increment over Y will actually get F seats sold everyone complains they are selling all the F seats. Personally, I'd rather have the current situation and just buy F when I really want it.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pdx1M
This entire entitlement to upgrades thing has gotten way out of hand.
While this is true, it is a monster that the industry, and not the flying public, created. Way "back in the day" as a lowly UA Premier (ca. 1992), I probably scored a 50%+ upgrade rate. As a Premier Executive (ca. 1993), I was in the 75%+ range, and as a 1K (the rest of the 1990s +), I was not much under 100%. (Of course, I had to buy some inexpensive coupons when I ran out of the comp ones.) On AS, the MVPG upgrades were confirmed into full F, so if there was a seat (using the coupons), it was yours.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
The wife and I just got back from our winter mileage run DCA-LAX-PDX-SAN-HNL-SJC-PDX-DCA. As a 75k she was upgraded on every single leg and as a mere Gold, I was upgraded on every leg but DCA-LAX. The only difference we noticed from the past is that the majority of the upgrades were less than 24 hours out as opposed to 4-5 days out. I would have got the DCA-LAX upgrade if they still had four rows of F, but honestly, I can't complain since I got the next six flights upgraded. I know this is only one data point, but I also do not believe the sky is falling with the 2017 scheme of upgrades.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Major G
The wife and I just got back from our winter mileage run DCA-LAX-PDX-SAN-HNL-SJC-PDX-DCA. As a 75k she was upgraded on every single leg and as a mere Gold, I was upgraded on every leg but DCA-LAX. The only difference we noticed from the past is that the majority of the upgrades were less than 24 hours out as opposed to 4-5 days out. I would have got the DCA-LAX upgrade if they still had four rows of F, but honestly, I can't complain since I got the next six flights upgraded. I know this is only one data point, but I also do not believe the sky is falling with the 2017 scheme of upgrades.
Sounds like a fun MR! Quick question, assuming you were on the same reservation, you should be able to upgrade with your 75K wife (at her window)...I thought it was all or nothing (both upgrade or neither) unless you split the reservation which would mean you'd miss out on a potential upgrade at the 75K rather than Gold window.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:43 pm

I am another vote for thinking I am still getting good value for my money and so far since making 75K at the end of the year, I am 4/4 on upgrades. Some of my flights had MVPs upgraded and some it was only 75ks but upgrades are still happening. Obviously, the change to 12 seats will mean fewer people upgraded but the other changes such as holding upgrades till the gate and using fare class as a factor should only have minor changes to who is upgraded.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA1K
i was a status matched 75k last year. i decided to move my business to AS instead of UA. i rewarded AS with a dash for gold status. as a 75k i was upgraded on every single flight except for one SEA-ANC flight. AS has a top notch FF program, excellent service, and a decent hard/soft product. i'll stick with AS until their FF program goes revenue based.

for those complaining about the UGs, imagine what it's like on UA. i've been upgraded once in the last few years. i'll gladly take my chances on AS.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
5 for 6 on upgrades to first so far this year. 4 of these Sea/Sac and the other San/Sea
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:20 am

People providing their own experiences is fine, but simple match dictates that many flights now are processing 4 less upgrades.

So while 75K and even Golds might not see that much of a change, MVPs would see their upgrades drop to very few, which is a devaluation in the MVP level for sure.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
The -800s aren't going back to four-row F. There is very little point in continuing to pine for the past.
Never say never. DL went to 3 rows of F on the A320's when they first installed Economy Comfort several years back. Like the 738's, the A320's have roughly 160 seats. In the most recent refurb cycle, DL has been restoring them to 4 rows of F. I suspect they realized that 12 seats was simply not enough for a 160 seat aircraft. I had a number of DL A320 flights last year and was generally upgraded on the 4 row new config, while often missing out when flying on a 3 row old config. While anecdotal, statistically it's pretty clear the extra row should make a difference.

I can't say I have an "entitlement" attitude, but my upgrade rate as a DL DM has been fairly decent last year (I'd say about 85%) and I'd rather not pay for F if I don't have to. I understand why those who pay would prefer the 41" seat pitch. As a "cheap elite", I'm willing to forgo that if I get a better shot at the upgrade. For those who buy cheap FCM fares, I'd suggest that as airlines get elites used to the notion of having to pay for F, they will likely get some additional pricing power. I wouldn't expect those fares to stay cheap indefinitely.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 24, 2017 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by nomii
People providing their own experiences is fine, but simple match dictates that many flights now are processing 4 less upgrades.

So while 75K and even Golds might not see that much of a change, MVPs would see their upgrades drop to very few, which is a devaluation in the MVP level for sure.
I agree. MVP's will be lucky just to get a PC seat, aisle or window. We were used to selecting premium seats at booking. Now "back of the bus 🚌", hoping for decent PC seat before takeoff.
Maybe we should start a PC upgrade 2017success thread.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Coming over from Delta, I've been disappointed by how rare upgrades are on AS. Last year, I was 75K, and only got the occasional complimentary upgrade. Everything else, I was either stuck in Y or used one of the (generously provided) guest upgrade certificates. It was a big contributor to me deciding to hold short at MVPG - I just wasn't seeing the benefits of being top tier with Alaska.

I think it's partially attributable to the difference between being a hub captive on AS and a focus city passenger for DL, and partially attributable to the favorable F ratios on the E175s Delta uses for many Seattle routes. Either way, DL backtracked on their companion policy that got me to switch in the first place, and I'm back to considering them my primary airline...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by BenA
Coming over from Delta, I've been disappointed by how rare upgrades are on AS. Last year, I was 75K, and only got the occasional complimentary upgrade. Everything else, I was either stuck in Y or used one of the (generously provided) guest upgrade certificates. It was a big contributor to me deciding to hold short at MVPG - I just wasn't seeing the benefits of being top tier with Alaska.

I think it's partially attributable to the difference between being a hub captive on AS and a focus city passenger for DL, and partially attributable to the favorable F ratios on the E175s Delta uses for many Seattle routes. Either way, DL backtracked on their companion policy that got me to switch in the first place, and I'm back to considering them my primary airline...
Upgrade frequency on AS can be very route specific. In my experience, SEA-Transcon upgrades are almost a unicorn. SEA-ANC is another tough one...tons of Golds and 75K's at either end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.