Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

WN taking aim at AS/VX:"The most daily flights from California. Take your pick!"

WN taking aim at AS/VX:"The most daily flights from California. Take your pick!"

Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jrl767
let's be completely objective: does AS really want to "unseat Southwest in Cali"?
I don't know that they are aiming for that, nor do I think it is necessary to be successful. Big state, plenty of opportunities.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
WN has the most flights and destinations out of secondary airports such as SJC.
I think AS actually has more destinations at SJC than WN has. WN has more flights, though.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I don't see why biz travelers would subject themselves to a cattle-car boarding process if they can select a seat for free on AS/VX in advance.
And who cares about 600 daily flights if most of them are on the wrong times or to meaningless destinations.
WN has the most civilized boarding process out there, and most of the flights are at the "right time" (because of high frequency) and serve the most meaningful / convenient airports, not necessarily the post popular ones. As an infrequent WN flyer, if I want a good seat, I pay a few extra bucks and will get one (even if I don't know, with precision, what seat it will be until I board).

Well, I take some of what I said back. VX has consistently guarded the integrity of the boarding process. I've never boarded after status and/or MCS boarding so I don't know how bad it may get afterward, but I've never had to wade through a lost sea of humanity to get to my early boarding entitlement.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
WN has the most civilized boarding process out there, and most of the flights are at the "right time" (because of high frequency) and serve the most meaningful / convenient airports, not necessarily the post popular ones. As an infrequent WN flyer, if I want a good seat, I pay a few extra bucks and will get one (even if I don't know, with precision, what seat it will be until I board).
I totally agree. Southwest's boarding process is much better than any other carrier. If, for some reason, you must have seat XYZ, then of course it won't work for you, but if you just want a window near the front, for example, then Southwest is fine. I've found that it's also much more orderly, with people lining up by number rather than crowding around waiting for their group to be called, not knowing which group they are in, not being able to hear the announcements, etc.

But with that said, Southwest currently dominates the intrastate market. They have flights from most bay area airports to most LA area airports on an almost hourly basis. It will be very difficult for AS/VX to make a dent in their dominance, but the extra competition is of course a good thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.