Wiki Posts
Search

AS/VX Matching

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
AS/VX Matching

Couple of AS MVP Gold on VX questions if people know...
Do we have access to same day standby for any flight that day for free? This is a benefit for Elevate Gold.
Do we have access to main cabin select within 12 hours of departure for free? This is something Elevate Gold gets as well.

Additionally, does anyone know the logistics of switching ffp during a trip, i.e. Elevate for seats but Alaska for miles.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
AS MP members don't get any benefits on VX other than, perhaps, free checked bags if you show your membership card at checkin. See the lengthy thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...e-changes.html

Neil
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
What it boils down to - VX members get everything, including status match, free bags, seat preference, not 10 bonus miles - oh, and gold guest upgrades - so they can displace with AS elites for upgrades.

Fly on VX as an AS elite? - you get nothing at all. Your MVP status apparently is no longer of interest to AS.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LaneW
What it boils down to - VX members get everything, including status match, free bags, seat preference, not 10 bonus miles - oh, and gold guest upgrades - so they can displace with AS elites for upgrades.

Fly on VX as an AS elite? - you get nothing at all. Your MVP status apparently is no longer of interest to AS.
Right. They can't afford to have gobs of AS Elites have a taste of the VX product, or they'll demand that AS improve to VX standards.

AS is much better off having its customer base not fly VX and instead rave about how the sub-part AS product is so great, without even so much as a pre-depart or blanket. If more AS MVP's tasted VX, AS would have to buy more Holiday Inn Express pancake machines, so we wouldn't be able to complain loudly about AS, since our mouths are stuffed full with cheap pancakes.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by channa
Right. They can't afford to have gobs of AS Elites have a taste of the VX product, or they'll demand that AS improve to VX standards.

AS is much better off having its customer base not fly VX and instead rave about how the sub-par AS product is so great, without even so much as a pre-depart or blanket. If more AS MVP's tasted VX, AS would have to buy more Holiday Inn Express pancake machines, so we wouldn't be able to complain loudly about AS, since our mouths are stuffed full with cheap pancakes.
Cynical much? I mean really.

Gordon Bethune (I know you know who that is) When questioned about contract negotiations (shortly after taking over CO) by a staff person in an employee break room said something to the effect of 'when you get on the plane, if you don't like the captain, you have the choice of getting off' That was his nonchalant way of saying. No one is forcing you to be here.

Inasmuch as I agree that WE Alaska's elite flyers should be treated to a higher degree of benefit reciprocity. I also must say - If you don't like the pancakes in the lounge than don't eat them. I enjoy them so please don't piss on my pancake party. No one is forcing you to buy an Alaska lounge membership and I didn't stay at a Holiday inn last night.

You're better than that Channa, you are a tenured, respected evangelist here.

Act the part

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Jan 16, 2017 at 12:04 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Cynical much? I mean really.

Gordon Bethune (I know you know who that is) When questioned about contract negotiations (shortly after taking over CO) by a staff person in an employee break room said something to the effect of 'when you get on the plane, if you don't like the captain, the have the choice of getting off' That was his nonchalant way of saying. No one is forcing you to be here.

Inasmuch as I agree that WE Alaska's elite flyers should be treated to a higher degree of benefit reciprocity. I also must say - If you don't like the pancakes in the lounge than don't eat them. I enjoy them so please don't piss on my pancake party. No one is forcing you to buy an Alaska lounge membership and I didn't stay at a Holiday inn last night.

You're better than that Channa, you are a tenured, respected evangelist here.

Act the part

But we don't agree on benefit reciprocity. The AS flyers are already loyal. The VX ones are in jeopardy of going elsewhere.

And I'm one of the AS flyers, AND I live in SFO, so I am disproportionately impacted by what AS is doing because the VXers are more likely to be on my flights, or competing with me for upgrades or award seats or whatnot. I did not get the 10K bonus miles, etc.

That said, I fully understand what AS is doing. And it's the AS flyers' fault.

AS recognizes that the AS customers have rewarded them with rave reviews and survey wins for a sub-part product for years, though despite that, AS management is smart enough to know they have a deficiency, and a competitor at SFO Terminal 3 who flies literally everywhere VX does (well, except JFK, but they fly to New Jersey, or there are other carriers for that). And in order to preserve as much as possible of what AS paid so much for, they have to make moves that keep the VX folks happy, and ensure that they stay.

Meanwhile, since the AS flyers don't complain when stuff is bad, why should AS management focus resources on customer retention? They haven't had to before, and they don't have to now.

I apologize if you took offense to the pancake comment. But they are cheap pancakes, and they are also served out of the same machines at Holiday Inn Express.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:21 am

While I understand and empathize with current AS Elite's disappointment, let me offer a perspective from a VX SFO based flyer.

While I can't speak for other VX flyers, I'd gladly give back the status match, GGUs, lounge passes and miles based earnings if we can undo the buyout. I mainly fly VX F transcons, ORD, DEN, and LAS. AS offers nothing compelling or competitive to these destinations from SFO, not to mention they depart from International A, my least favorite part of SFO.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G

AS is much better off having its customer base not fly VX and instead rave about how the sub-part AS product is so great, without even so much as a pre-depart or blanket. If more AS MVP's tasted VX, AS would have to buy more Holiday Inn Express pancake machines, so we wouldn't be able to complain loudly about AS, since our mouths are stuffed full with cheap pancakes.
AS and everyone else knows that the "VX Experience" is going away in a very short period of time. There is no reason for them to want AS elites on VX planes. This is their way of keeping them off of them. And it gives VX elites a reason to move on.

AS financials are in good shape but they have a lot on their plate right now. The VX acquisition, the rollout of PE, the reconfiguration of their planes and programming the broken PE/F upgrade system takes lots of time and money. Their upgrade system has been broken for years and is now a shambles. Selling F before looking at the upgrade list is a common theme here. Or, waiting until boarding before kicking the upgrade process into action which is becoming the norm, should be simple fixes. Yes, I know about the 800-900 aircraft swap challenge.

Upgrading PDB, food, the AL's are (based on the comments posted here) way down on the list of things AS plans to deal with.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LaneW
And BR day passes.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
But we don't agree on benefit reciprocity. The AS flyers are already loyal. The VX ones are in jeopardy of going elsewhere.

And I'm one of the AS flyers, AND I live in SFO, so I am disproportionately impacted by what AS is doing because the VXers are more likely to be on my flights, or competing with me for upgrades or award seats or whatnot. I did not get the 10K bonus miles, etc.

AS recognizes that the AS customers have rewarded them with rave reviews and survey wins for a sub-part product for years, though despite that, AS management is smart enough to know they have a deficiency, and a competitor at SFO Terminal 3 who flies literally everywhere VX does (well, except JFK, but they fly to New Jersey, or there are other carriers for that). And in order to preserve as much as possible of what AS paid so much for, they have to make moves that keep the VX folks happy, and ensure that they stay.

Meanwhile, since the AS flyers don't complain when stuff is bad, why should AS management focus resources on customer retention? They haven't had to before, and they don't have to now.

I apologize if you took offense to the pancake comment. But they are cheap pancakes, and they are also served out of the same machines at Holiday Inn Express.
On second thought ~ These are all valid points. I didn't get the 10k either
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by BOB W
AS and everyone else knows that the "VX Experience" is going away in a very short period of time. There is no reason for them to want AS elites on VX planes. This is their way of keeping them off of them. And it gives VX elites a reason to move on.

AS financials are in good shape but they have a lot on their plate right now. The VX acquisition, the rollout of PE, the reconfiguration of their planes and programming the broken PE/F upgrade system takes lots of time and money. Their upgrade system has been broken for years and is now a shambles. Selling F before looking at the upgrade list is a common theme here. Or, waiting until boarding before kicking the upgrade process into action which is becoming the norm, should be simple fixes. Yes, I know about the 800-900 aircraft swap challenge.

Upgrading PDB, food, the AL's are (based on the comments posted here) way down on the list of things AS plans to deal with.
Well, we are not so sure the VX experience will go away. The minute AS reduces the VX elite experience, they have just given the legacies a great marketing opportunity.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
While I understand and empathize with current AS Elite's disappointment, let me offer a perspective from a VX SFO based flyer.

While I can't speak for other VX flyers, I'd gladly give back the status match, GGUs, lounge passes and miles based earnings if we can undo the buyout. I mainly fly VX F transcons, ORD, DEN, and LAS. AS offers nothing compelling or competitive to these destinations from SFO, not to mention they depart from International A, my least favorite part of SFO.
+1
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by ptownca
Well, we are not so sure the VX experience will go away. The minute AS reduces the VX elite experience, they have just given the legacies a great marketing opportunity.
Pretty sure you cannot fit a seat with 55" pitch in a space currently occupied by a seat with (the new and improved) 44" pitch. That experience will go away simply because it cannot fit. AS just finished the retrofit of the 800's and is going through the 900's as we speak to this new and improved pitch. Not much chance they want to do this again anytime soon.

AS will ditch the Airbus's as soon as their leases are up since they have no interest in creating a second set of aircraft crew and maintenance issues. Both are strong indications that the AS Experience is going to be the new standard across the fleet in the not too distant future.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BOB W
AS will ditch the Airbus's as soon as their leases are up since they have no interest in creating a second set of aircraft crew and maintenance issues.
We really don't know this until AS says so.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:04 pm

I must be "out of step" - I complain on a regular basis - collecting $100's of Brad bucks!! I am really confused about AS "premium" they charge you $85 for a tiny box of 3 miniature snacks. Free drinks are only when FA's decide to serve you. Seats are little better than the seats I use to reserve without waiting to be "upgraded" ! I am sending Brad my unopened mini box, I would encourage like minded AS'ers to join me. I'm off to a RT SAN -BOS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.