JAL Intra-Japan earning change?

Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
If you contact the booking agency which booked your ticket you can usually get it added pre-trip. Or alternatively calling JAL's call centre should get it added. All else fails, just give them the AS card at check-in and they should be able to get it handled for you.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, I believe so but the fare class isn't quite explicit. I did submit for retro credit in the same email though. No idea of the rationale because I didn't receive a response to the original (miles appeared) and haven't received a response to my follow up email so far.
Finally fixed (for me)! Never did get a response to my email.

Called MP customer service and rep (working with a supervisor) said the difference was because mine posted as C and wife's as J, but couldn't explain why J and C post differently. They posted the same route as C, but on the current date then removed it so they could submit it to another team for follow up. Also said I should see the original flight reposted in a couple of days. Never happened. Called back, rep put me on hold for a bit, then came back and said she had reposted the original flight as C.

Website chart still hasn't been changed when I last checked.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Glad they got it fixed for you - but I hope they fix up the website to match the actual computer coding!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by flyaow
Glad they got it fixed for you - but I hope they fix up the website to match the actual computer coding!
Or fix the coding to match the website! 25% COS + 100 RDM bonus is nice nice nice!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Or fix the coding to match the website! 25% COS + 100 RDM bonus is nice nice nice!
I will be flying HND-OKA and OKA-ITM in June, upgraded to J for 1000 yen to get some extra miles. I hope it will work out
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:12 pm

As I was on a DL J ticket, I emailed that and the scanned boarding passes for recent HND-ITM-HND flights. It then took me six emails back and forth with more or less competent staff to finally sort things out and for the error to be acknowledged.

The earning chart is still wrong. As mentioned above, it's supposed to be 10% for J, and there's no 100% additional bonus.

They did offer SPECIAL SERVICES SERVICE COMPENSATION of 4,000 points after all was done.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I am in the middle of trying to get something straightened out for a set of flights that are totally within Asia (but not all intra-Japan) that have posted differently than shown on the AS website.

I have flown:
JL BKK-NRT (X class)
JL HND-ITM (J class)
JL KIX-BKK (X class)
All flights marketed and operated by JL

According to the website, all flights should earn the base miles, 25% COS bonus, 100% "additional bonus" and my Gold75K bonus of 125% (as I read it, anyway).

The two international (but intra-Asia) flights seem to have credited with base miles plus my Gold75K bonus of 125% plus a 10% COS. No "additional bonus" as shown on the website. For what it's worth, these seem to have been posted in J class rather than X (but the website shows the same earnings for J and X).

The intra-Japan flight posting is a mystery to me... Flight miles are 280, bonus is 895 for a total of 1175. My arithmetic skills are not good enough to find any combination of percentages that arrive at that result.

But of course, I care more about the international flights. I sent an email request and received a response describing the 10% COS on intra-Japan flights, which made no sense as the relevant flights are not within Japan. So I called and spoke with an agent who said that the website is incorrect for Japan Airlines earnings but could not explain what the correct earnings are.

I am wondering if the 10% COS is actually in place for intra-Japan or if they actually mean intra-Asia (without a corresponding flight to/from North America). And I wonder if there is some mixup in the booking classes that might cause the 100% "additional bonus" to not be applied.

To their credit, they did give me a 5000 mileage bonus as a goodwill gesture (even though I am out more than 5000 miles as compared to their website description). But what I care about more is understanding what the real earnings are, as I have some other trips to purchase and the mileage earnings affect the class of service that I buy. The agent promised to research it and get back to me, but that was two weeks ago and I have heard nothing.

Does anyone have any insight into JL earnings on flights totally within Asia? I am not quite sure how to escalate this further to get clarity on earnings. Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:41 am

For your domestic flight, the 500 mile minimum per segment applies so a flight of 280 miles is a base 500 miles.
500 + 10%Cos (50) + 125% 75K (625) = 1175

AS' customer service has been claiming for several months now that the website is wrong and that domestic Japan J is only 10% CoS, however in all this time the chart hasn't been updated nor has AS ever had a separate domestic chart like AA does. My personal opinion is AS needs to honor their published chart or fix it if it's wrong.

Call in and request a supervisor for escalation?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:30 am

For your domestic flight, the 500 mile minimum per segment applies so a flight of 280 miles is a base 500 miles.
500 + 10%Cos (50) + 125% 75K (625) = 1175
Thank you! I had been trying to calculate using the 500 as a minimum for base but actual mileage for bonuses... this is helpful so thank you.

I'll wait until Monday and take your advice and just keep escalating. To be honest, one of my bigger concerns here is that I recently booked a First Class BA ticket (that cost a lot more than I usually spend on such things) based on the AS website earnings. So learning that the website is not reliable is a bit troubling.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:25 pm

I am having a very frustrating time dealing with the Mileage Plan folks regarding an international JL flight. From a few posts ago, I flew on:

JL 708, Bangkok - Narita, credited in J class. Marketed and operated by JL. I am Gold75k.

Here is what credited:

Base miles: 2887
Bonus: 3898
Total: 6785

By my calculation, I guess they figured the bonus like this:

Gold75K @ 125% = 2887 * 1.25 = 3609
10% COS bonus = 289
Total bonus of 3898

So two differences from the website: The COS bonus of 10% vs 25% and the total lack of the 100% bonus of redeemable miles.

First time I emailed, they responded by email telling me that intra-Japan flights have a 10% COS bonus and that my earnings are correct. One of my flights had been domestic, so the response helped a bit but didn't address my international flights. So I called. This agent said that the website is wrong and they would need to check and get back to me... this was on August 23. I received no response by September 8 so I called again.

This time the agent assured me that my flights had credited accurately. I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor looked at the history of the record and told me that my "request has been reviewed at the highest level of Mileage Plan and it is accurate." So I asked the supervisor to just walk me through the arithmetic of the calculation. When she did, she responded with, "Oh... I see what you mean. I'll get right on this and someone will call you very soon."

Today (six days later), I get this email from Mileage Plan:

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska with regard to your travel credits with Japan Airlines. I received an very clear explanation back from our Mileage Plan team. For the Intra Japan Airlines segments, you earn 110% for your J Class segments. Again, they reviewed your travel credits and they were correctly posted to your Mileage Plan account.

Additionally, they did indicate that the web site is not clear on the explanation and submitted a request to have our web site updated.

As always, thank you for flying with us. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on another flight.

I responded that my flight has nothing to do with intra-Japan. I am baffled at this one... may I ask if any other folks are having problems getting international JL flights credited as shown on the AS website??? Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:57 pm

Call back and request another escalation? The response once again fails to address the international segment.

As for the domestic J, it seems to me that Alaska's flexibility and customer first attitude only stretches so far and no further, and in cases like this really falls down. If Alaska's website is in error, then it should be fixed quickly but at the same time should be honored for customers that can only go on the information that Alaska provides. Ridiculous.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I recently had the same problem with domestic J ticket with JL. It was HND-OKA and OKA-ITM. The miles was posted incorrectly the first time, the agent said it was calculated as I class with 70% miles.

After being on hold for 30mins, the agent changed it and it was still wrong and I was still short about 1000 miles with the MVP bonus. I gave up.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Is anyone else confused about why AS is even bothering with separate earning charts, given the apparent hassle? I know the mileage differences start to become appreciable once you look at the longest routes like HND-OKA and CTS-FUK, but how many AS members are enough AS members really on those flights to affect the bottom line? Sample size of two, I know, but I was definitely the only gaijin on my HND-HIJ and ITM-NRT flights last year.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:15 pm

Would you believe that these folks have finally updated the website to show one set of earnings for Japan Airlines domestic flights and a different set of earnings for Japan Airlines international flights, but they still don't match what actually gets credited?

As many people have noted here, a domestic trip in J gets base miles plus a 10% class of service bonus. Full stop. The wizards at alaskaair.com have updated the website for domestic Japan flights to show the 10% class of service bonus, but it still shows the 100% "additional bonus" that nobody seems to ever receive.

Meanwhile, on a somewhat related topic, I am in a prolonged discussion with customer service about earnings on an international flight within Asia and their consistent answer is that "intra-Asia" flights (e.g. NRT-BKK) earn as a domestic Japan flight.

I have seldom been as disappointed with customer service from any frequent flyer program as I am now with Mileage Plan regarding earnings on JL.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by gary_nj
Would you believe that these folks have finally updated the website to show one set of earnings for Japan Airlines domestic flights and a different set of earnings for Japan Airlines international flights, but they still don't match what actually gets credited?

As many people have noted here, a domestic trip in J gets base miles plus a 10% class of service bonus. Full stop. The wizards at alaskaair.com have updated the website for domestic Japan flights to show the 10% class of service bonus, but it still shows the 100% "additional bonus" that nobody seems to ever receive.

Meanwhile, on a somewhat related topic, I am in a prolonged discussion with customer service about earnings on an international flight within Asia and their consistent answer is that "intra-Asia" flights (e.g. NRT-BKK) earn as a domestic Japan flight.

I have seldom been as disappointed with customer service from any frequent flyer program as I am now with Mileage Plan regarding earnings on JL.
Sounds like additional escalation is necessary.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.