Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:28 pm

Can't save credit card info?

I will be flying between SEA-ORD quite often next year and I have purchased several tickets the last few days. I just realized I have to type in my known traveler number and credit card information every time... I was wondering if other people had the same issue as well.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

Known Traveller number you can save in your traveller profile.
Credit card also you can save in your profile under My Info tab.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Known Traveller number you can save in your traveller profile.
Credit card also you can save in your profile under My Info tab.
Egh not sure how I missed all that thanks for the help lol
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS, WN
I have a question about My Wallet. Keep in mind that I have not yet flown on Alaska Air, so I am still learning how it works.

Back in November, signed in under my Mileage plus account, I booked a cash ticket for my sister (one way RDU-ANC) and a ticket for her BFF using my companion pass. Today w/ the one day sale, my sister's flight price went down $41, so I put in for the credit and had it added to My Wallet. My question: it's my My Wallet but the ticket is in my sister's name. Do I have to use the credit towards a new ticket in her name, or could I use it towards a ticket for myself? I know any credit I get w/ Southwest has to be used for the person whose name was on the ticket. the FAQ on the Alaska website did not say. Also, can you apply for another credit if the price goes down again, or is it a one-time thing? TIA!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Straitlover
I have a question about My Wallet. Keep in mind that I have not yet flown on Alaska Air, so I am still learning how it works.

Back in November, signed in under my Mileage plus account, I booked a cash ticket for my sister (one way RDU-ANC) and a ticket for her BFF using my companion pass. Today w/ the one day sale, my sister's flight price went down $41, so I put in for the credit and had it added to My Wallet. My question: it's my My Wallet but the ticket is in my sister's name. Do I have to use the credit towards a new ticket in her name, or could I use it towards a ticket for myself? I know any credit I get w/ Southwest has to be used for the person whose name was on the ticket. the FAQ on the Alaska website did not say. Also, can you apply for another credit if the price goes down again, or is it a one-time thing? TIA!
The credit goes into your wallet for you to use on any tickets you purchase while logged into your account, whether for yourself or anyone else. It's more flexible than a Southwest credit. You can also get multiple credits if it goes down again - I've done that multiple times. I use Yapta to monitor prices. The only downside, which probably doesn't apply to your sister, is that each time you take the credit, it resets the ticket date as far as the upgrade waitlist is concerned.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS, WN
Originally Posted by czpdx
The credit goes into your wallet for you to use on any tickets you purchase while logged into your account, whether for yourself or anyone else. It's more flexible than a Southwest credit. You can also get multiple credits if it goes down again - I've done that multiple times. I use Yapta to monitor prices. The only downside, which probably doesn't apply to your sister, is that each time you take the credit, it resets the ticket date as far as the upgrade waitlist is concerned.
Thanks for the info. I booked my ticket with points/miles. Will I be eligible to purchase an upgrade when I check in for myself? Do you ahve to buy an upgrade for each leg or is it one price for the whole flight?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by quemalo
I believe so, yes

Passengers on a different PNR get absolutely no benefit from you having status. You used to be able to call in and get them better seats and on the upgrade list, but that time is long over.
Mobile version of FT right now and can't easily double quote the OP about cancellation/change waiver benefit for Gold/75K-

only applies to the Gold/75K on revenue tickets, does not apply to the companion, even on the same PNR. Change/cancel fee will apply to their ticket.

On a award ticket, waiver is inherited with the Gold/75K member's miles. If the miles for the companion were booked from the Gold/75K account, then waiver will apply. I believe this is also applicable to seperate PNRs (or even if the Gold/75K is not traveling) as long as the miles were from the Gold/75K account.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
How many RDM would a SEA-PDX flight in first class earn?

I'm aware that each flight in Y earns at least 500. In first class, would it be:
Still 500 miles?
500 miles + 129 (0.75) miles or
500 miles + 500 miles?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hightide
How many RDM would a SEA-PDX flight in first class earn?

I'm aware that each flight in Y earns at least 500. In first class, would it be:
Still 500 miles?
500 miles + 129 (0.75) miles or
500 miles + 500 miles?
Elite and class of service bonuses are applied to the 500 minimum, so a full F fare would earn 1.75 * 500.
hightide likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
Elite and class of service bonuses are applied to the 500 minimum, so a full F fare would earn 1.75 * 500.
The 500 mile minimum + the COS bonus is EQM! Poster was asking about RDM for the flight. The 75% COS bonus is for F & P so not just full-fare. Discounted F (P) will also earn the same COS. For paid F on any flight < 500 miles the EQM would be 500 + (0.75)*500 = 875 as you stated. The RDM would be equal to EQM for a non-elite member. However, an Elite will get additional bonus RDM as follows based on the flight miles only.

Non Elite 875 RDM
MVP (50%) 875 + 250 = 1125 RDM
MVPG (100%) 875 + 500 = 1375 RDM
MVPG75K (125%) = 875 + 625 = 1500 RDM.

You could also earn these RDM's on the 92 mile flight Seattle to/from Bellingham. There are mainline flights on this route as they reposition for the Bellingham to Hawaii flights.

James

PS. Paid F will give you AL access too.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 21, 2017 at 11:54 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The 500 mile minimum + the COS bonus is EQM! Poster was asking about RDM for the flight. The 75% COS bonus is for F & P so not just full-fare. Discounted F (P) will also earn the same COS. For paid F on any flight < 500 miles the EQM would be 500 + (0.75)*500 = 875 as you stated. The RDM would be equal to EQM for a non-elite member. However, an Elite will get additional bonus RDM as follows based on the flight miles only.

Non Elite 875 RDM
MVP (50%) 875 + 250 = 1125 RDM
MVPG (100%) 875 + 500 = 1375 RDM
MVPG75K (125%) = 875 + 625 = 1500 RDM.

You could also earn these RDM's on the 92 mile flight Seattle to/from Bellingham. There are mainline flights on this route as they reposition for the Bellingham to Hawaii flights.

James

PS. Paid F will give you AL access too.
Well laid out, many thanks. I had a lot of trouble understanding how it would be calculated before I started crediting to Alaska frequently, and I wish I'd had a similar post to refer to back then. It seems simple now, but it somehow didn't seem so simple at the time.

FTW, I will very much miss the AS/AA relationship in 2018. I hope it doesn't hurt AS, who I would still try to use as often as possible if I wasn't moving back to the east coast.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The 500 mile minimum + the COS bonus is EQM! Poster was asking about RDM for the flight. ... The RDM would be equal to EQM for a non-elite member.
I probably should've clarified that that was for non-elites, but given that @hightide doesn't list any AS status in their profile and didn't ask how elite bonuses factor in, I figured no status was a safe assumption.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
I probably should've clarified that that was for non-elites, but given that @hightide doesn't list any AS status in their profile and didn't ask how elite bonuses factor in, I figured no status was a safe assumption.
Good catch on poster not listing any AS Elite status in his profile. 😉 I didn't see that myself. I just wanted to clarify RDM for everyone with or without status. The short QX hops add up quickly and I am happy to throw an extra segment into my itinerary for the extra EQM/RDM especially with a companion certificate.

James
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:54 am

Hi there! My dad just earned WN A-list preferred and companion pass for 2018, and I read that he can status match to AS 75k status. Two questions:

1. Is it useful to wait until Jan. 1 to request the status match (i.e., would he then be given status for 2018 and 2019), or will they only grant the match through 2018 no matter when we request?
2. Does the status match still come with the ability to gift MVP? I know the match doesn't come with the 50k bonus points, but it seems like all the other perks remain intact. Hoping to use that as my finder's fee...haha!

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by dracof
1. Is it useful to wait until Jan. 1 to request the status match (i.e., would he then be given status for 2018 and 2019), or will they only grant the match through 2018 no matter when we request?
No, at this point until next fall, matches will be until the end of 2018 only. No need to wait!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.