Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
I've bought an AS apron off this site before

http://companystore.alaskaair.com/asqxcompanystore
Thanks beckoa, but they don't seem to have them on there right now. They also didn't have any the last time I was at the store in Seattle, but that was a few years ago. I'll have to make another run up there, I suppose...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Kaphias
Thanks beckoa, but they don't seem to have them on there right now. They also didn't have any the last time I was at the store in Seattle, but that was a few years ago. I'll have to make another run up there, I suppose...
Yeah, didn't see it either.

Give them a call, they can let you know of inventory not listed online, or stuff that is on order. Helpful folks ^
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:54 pm

Good afternoon, experts,

Due to some inconvenience, I was given a discount code for the next sets of flights.

Discount not valid on all fares, including but not limited to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares, most discounted First Class fares and many privately filed fares. Complete Discount Code rules and restrictions can be found online at alaskaair.com.

I am curious about what kind of First class fares would be ok to use the discount codes on? How about the Y fares that can be used with GGUs?

Thank you
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:43 pm

Is "Code N" type fare on American Airlines eligible to earn miles and elite qualifying segment on Alaska Mileage plan? TIA
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by sd_moving
Is "Code N" type fare on American Airlines eligible to earn miles and elite qualifying segment on Alaska Mileage plan? TIA
Yes.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by sturges
Yes.
Thanks for the help. This doesn't talk about EQS? Miles are 50% but will EQS count be impacted. I guess not since it does not mention it.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sd_moving
Thanks for the help. This doesn't talk about EQS? Miles are 50% but will EQS count be impacted. I guess not since it does not mention it.
Segments are not reduced. If it earns at least 1 mile it earns 1 segment. Be careful for 2018 as domestic earns nothing regardless of fare class unless its on AS ticket stock.
sd_moving likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:10 am

Hey there, have a question pertaining to lounge access when flying AS from SFO to SEA. I understand that the flight is from T2, and thus the lounge would be the American Admirals Club. I'm a oneworld emerald via BA, but as AS aren't oneworld, I don't have access which is fair enough. However can I buy a $59 Admirals Club day pass when flying AS to gain access? Apologies if this should be over in the American forum instead. I'll have just spent ten hours on a plane from Munich so really would love a shower before my connection up to Seattle.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Before spending $59 for the Admiral's Club, I'd look at the shower facility in the international terminal pre-security at departure level and see if it might be cheaper.
https://www.flysfo.com/content/showers
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Minimum legal connection time in LAX AS to AS? The flight I am looking at would be ZIHU( mexico) -LAX-SEA. Thanks.

Edit: I seem to have already asked a similar question month s ago. It appears 2 hours is the minimum safe time.

Last edited by david55; Dec 3, 2017 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Hey there, have a question pertaining to lounge access when flying AS from SFO to SEA. I understand that the flight is from T2, and thus the lounge would be the American Admirals Club. I'm a oneworld emerald via BA, but as AS aren't oneworld, I don't have access which is fair enough. However can I buy a $59 Admirals Club day pass when flying AS to gain access? Apologies if this should be over in the American forum instead. I'll have just spent ten hours on a plane from Munich so really would love a shower before my connection up to Seattle.
Originally Posted by tom911
Before spending $59 for the Admiral's Club, I'd look at the shower facility in the international terminal pre-security at departure level and see if it might be cheaper.
https://www.flysfo.com/content/showers
for $25 ($12 if military) you can have a shower room for 30 min at Freshen up includes: Shampoo, soap, lotion, shower shoes, towel and hair dryer.

For $40 you can have access to a nap room (lie flat ability) for an hour and a discounted $20 shower.
http://www.airporttravelagency.org/freshen-up/
Dave_C likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:51 pm

Hi, I am sorry for potentially dumb question, but I looked at Wiki and tried Google and didn't come up with anything.
I have 50k AS miles and would like to book a flight on Cathay for my spouse. Since you can't transfer Alaska miles without paying fees, is it possible to transfer to a different person's CX account somehow?

Thank you!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinef
Hi, I am sorry for potentially dumb question, but I looked at Wiki and tried Google and didn't come up with anything.
I have 50k AS miles and would like to book a flight on Cathay for my spouse. Since you can't transfer Alaska miles without paying fees, is it possible to transfer to a different person's CX account somehow?

Thank you!
You would make the reservation with the spouse as the traveler. miles cannot be transferred out of mileage plan.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
You would make the reservation with the spouse as the traveler
This is correct, I've booked many flights for my wife with my miles.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:41 pm

Booked a first class award, DSM>ORD>SEA>PSC. First was not available on DSM>ORD (AA operated) or SEA>PSC, but both of those are under an hour, so not an issue.

However, I would like to take advantage of the two checked bags. Since I am checking in with AA, and I am in the main cabin with them, will they still know to allow me to check two bags, or how should I handle this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.