Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:00 pm

Difficulty in getting First Class when re-positioning for international award flight

Hi all,
I am doing some trial bookings for First/Business class international award flights on one of Alaska's partners, and surprisingly there is availability in the premium class on the partner portion of the flight, but I get the "mixed cabin" icon a lot because the Alaska Airline positioning flight keeps showing up as "Main Cabin". Is this something that can be resolved by calling Customer Service and asking them to force first class award availability for the positioning flight? When I look at the seat chart, the first class cabin is empty (trial booking like 10 months out) so it isn't because there are no seats available. Normally, for a short re-positioning flight, it isn't a big deal, but some of the re-positioning flights are transcon so it does make a difference in terms of experience.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Is this something that can be resolved by calling Customer Service and asking them to force first class award availability for the positioning flight? When I look at the seat chart, the first class cabin is empty (trial booking like 10 months out) so it isn't because there are no seats available.
Not gonna happen, and the seat chart is not a reliable source of booked capacity--i.e., it may look totally empty, but it's entirely possible someone has already snatched the saver space but hasn't selected seats.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Hi all,
I am doing some trial bookings for First/Business class international award flights on one of Alaska's partners, and surprisingly there is availability in the premium class on the partner portion of the flight, but I get the "mixed cabin" icon a lot because the Alaska Airline positioning flight keeps showing up as "Main Cabin". Is this something that can be resolved by calling Customer Service and asking them to force first class award availability for the positioning flight? When I look at the seat chart, the first class cabin is empty (trial booking like 10 months out) so it isn't because there are no seats available. Normally, for a short re-positioning flight, it isn't a big deal, but some of the re-positioning flights are transcon so it does make a difference in terms of experience.
On a connecting international flight there has to be saver level F award on the AS segment. If there isn't you'll get a mixed cabin result as you see. If saver F does open up (usually unlikely), you can call in and have yourself moved to F on the AS segment.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:00 pm

Thanks for the clarification guys. I guess a general rule is that they don't open up too many saver award first class seats?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:40 pm

Thanks for the clarification guys. I guess a general rule is that they don't open up too many saver award first class seats?
Not on the popular routes. I have a flight that I had to book coach and waitlist for first on that's almost a year out because they just don't release any availability.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:54 pm

Another question...

I know that the award chart for Alaska shows flights from Hawaii to Europe not being serviced by Air France. However, the redemption rates for Hawaii to Europe using all the other airlines are exactly the same as if it was from the Continental US to Europe. If I find availability on the direct Air France flight from LAX to CDG and separately find saver award availability from HNL to LAX via Alaska, anyone know if I the call center can frankenstein an award together into just one redemption amount (62.5K OW for Business)?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by quemalo
Not on the popular routes. I have a flight that I had to book coach and waitlist for first on that's almost a year out because they just don't release any availability.
What is the route you are taking? I am based in HNL, thus my additional question above, I was guessing HNL is one of the tougher places to get premium cabin award availability so I was just originally trying to originate from the continental U.S., but even for flights like that, they require re-positioning to JFK from LAX and they didn't have any award availability.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
I know that the award chart for Alaska shows flights from Hawaii to Europe not being serviced by Air France. However, the redemption rates for Hawaii to Europe using all the other airlines are exactly the same as if it was from the Continental US to Europe. If I find availability on the direct Air France flight from LAX to CDG and separately find saver award availability from HNL to LAX via Alaska, anyone know if I the call center can frankenstein an award together into just one redemption amount (62.5K OW for Business)?
Since AF isnt on the Hawaii to Europe list you cannot use AF, even when AS fly's you to the mainland.

For example:

I found Y space on AF MSP-CDG on 5/15/18. If i look for separate award HNL-MSP I find saver all on AS metal the few days leading up to 5/15. I try to combine the 2 and no results w/ AF, only AS+AA and AS+FI (icelandair)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Since AF isnt on the Hawaii to Europe list you cannot use AF, even when AS fly's you to the mainland.

For example:

I found Y space on AF MSP-CDG on 5/15/18. If i look for separate award HNL-MSP I find saver all on AS metal the few days leading up to 5/15. I try to combine the 2 and no results w/ AF, only AS+AA and AS+FI (icelandair)
No way that human hands could override it (talking to customer service)? I am guessing not but I just wanted to make sure. At worst, paying $400 RT to the west coast to reposition would be worth it considering BA charges that much on their surcharges.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
No way that human hands could override it (talking to customer service)? I am guessing not but I just wanted to make sure. At worst, paying $400 RT to the west coast to reposition would be worth it considering BA charges that much on their surcharges.
Phone reps use the same web interface when booking awards as the front facing website.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:04 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by duranza
How good is Alaska air in honoring their guarantee low price policy?

I filled out their form and it tells me it will take 5-7 business days to review, yet the guarantee is for 24 hours since the purchase of airfare.
The screenshot I sent them from Expedia did not have a date showing but does show the exact flights and pricing, $160 and change lower than theirs.
not that good I must say, there are always caveats if there is $100 change fee they won't give u credit less than $100, today they declined me $80 because system said no seats in both segments of return trip ! AH
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:06 pm

I highly doubt it. Since when can you actually fly from Hawaii -> X and West Coast US -> X using the same number of miles? Hawaii is at least 6 hrs away from mainland US and is always considered a separate 'zone' from the lower 48 anyway from the POV of award redemption. It would have been a unicorn sweet spot if they are considered the same 'zone'.

I presume there is a difference in the # miles required to go from Hawaii -> EU vs West Coast US -> EU.

What I can say is that I have successfully gotten a flight that involves A->B->C, even though I couldnt get A->C to pop up in the online search engine. But I know A->B and B->C are available. I just had to call in to AS and ask them to append the B->C to the flight itinerary (A->B) that I booked online.

But your case may be different, esp if AS doesnt have an award chart that explicitly reports the # miles required to go from Hawaii to EU

So just give AS a call, it is not as if you will lose anything. The worse is they tell you this is not allowed under their rules unless booked as 2 separate awards,

Last edited by gnomey; Oct 27, 2017 at 8:12 pm
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
No. I am also HNL based and flew an AF award to CDG in September. I had to position to the mainland myself and then I could tag on an AS flight to IAD.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by quemalo
I concur. Transcon F saver awards are a difficult beast to capture. It's quite simple really, those seats are in demand and they sell. In my experience, anything leaving from DC (DCA, IAD, BWI) is almost always sold out in F and even upgrades are quite rare. With the cabin refurbs going to 12 in F, it's become even more difficult. Future prospects for greater availability look dim.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by zibawal
not that good I must say, there are always caveats if there is $100 change fee they won't give u credit less than $100, today they declined me $80 because system said no seats in both segments of return trip ! AH
Guess I was lucky not only did they honor the guarantee but when they were late to credit me and I contacted them, I had canceled the trip in the meantime I thought for sure I would have to spend that credit off but instead they refunded me 100%.
ib

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.