Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
VX fare class T earning on AS

Does VX fare class T earn miles on AS? VX twitter rep answered "pretty sure", but I couldn't find official confirmation published. Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Does VX fare class T earn miles on AS? VX twitter rep answered "pretty sure", but I couldn't find official confirmation published. Thanks!
Was this booked on VX direct or through AS as an AS codeshare? All VX fare classes except for award flights earn full mileage on AS as of December of last year. Sometimes it take a while to credit or not at all, so save your boarding passes!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:26 pm

I got two codes on my profile now, one starts with ecsr (voucher cert) and another starts with ecplat (discount code)

Is there any way I can use both in one RT ticket booking? Havent figured out a way unless I make the purchase as 2 OW
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Was this booked on VX direct or through AS as an AS codeshare? All VX fare classes except for award flights earn full mileage on AS as of December of last year. Sometimes it take a while to credit or not at all, so save your boarding passes!
Through a federal government-chosen agency, hence my concern that T is some sort of consolidator/bulk class I've never heard of before. Anyone seen any published earning list containing this inventory code?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Through a federal government-chosen agency, hence my concern that T is some sort of consolidator/bulk class I've never heard of before. Anyone seen any published earning list containing this inventory code?
It's not on the Alaska's list for pure VX tickets or on VX's own fare guide for travel agents. I did some digging in Expert Flyer and it shows as
T VX Economy - Award
I'm leaning towards it's a VX codeshare purchased on AS ticket stock.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Alaska, American
Do you guys know how long does it take for Virgin flights to show up on your alaska account?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ec6863
Do you guys know how long does it take for Virgin flights to show up on your alaska account?
Mine took 6 days for one I had early September.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ec6863
Several threads with responses here:
Normal time for VX flights to post to AS account after flight?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28241341-post8.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...leageplan.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ting-time.html
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:52 pm

Double Miles promo

For the double miles promo (https://www.alaskaair.com/www2/Promo...px?&pid=AS1710) do I have to start on west coast? For example, I'm gonna travel next month JFK-PDX-JFK, can I earn double miles for this roundtrip?

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by morley39
For the double miles promo (https://www.alaskaair.com/www2/Promo...px?&pid=AS1710) do I have to start on west coast? For example, I'm gonna travel next month JFK-PDX-JFK, can I earn double miles for this roundtrip?

Thanks!
When they say between it means to or from.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
When they say between it means to or from.
Thanks! What confused me is that I asked Alaska's Twitter support and one rep told me "Looks like the fine print states that it is only qualifying if you are flying "from" PDX. So the flight out of JFK will not qualify. -Sean"

It looks like the rep just got wrong
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by morley39
Thanks! What confused me is that I asked Alaska's Twitter support and one rep told me "Looks like the fine print states that it is only qualifying if you are flying "from" PDX. So the flight out of JFK will not qualify. -Sean"

It looks like the rep just got wrong
I don't think I've ever seen an AS promo where direction mattered, seems too complex for AS system to handle. Now if only they included VX city pairs
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS codeshare VX flights, still get free change up to 60 days before departure?

I know on AS own flights you can change or cancel without fee up to 60 days before departure.

How about it is an AS codeshare with VX flight? It would be in AS flight number but it is a VX flight. Would it enjoy the same fee-free change or cancellation up to 60 days before departure?

Related question - when is the time frame AS would change all VX flights to AS flights?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

Related question - when is the time frame AS would change all VX flights to AS flights?
April 25, 2018

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-april-441881/
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnomey
Thanks for the link.

The travel will be in Feb so it would still be a VX flight with AS codeshare.

Does anyone know about the cancellation policy when it is booked under AS flight number, AS ticket stock?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.