Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Friend is a new MVP and hoping to do a SDC; is $25 fee waived for MVPs or just G/75k?

SDC page isn't clear - https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...t-changes.aspx
No, I'm afraid it's not waived for MVPs. They can however request a SDC beginning at 10pm the night before. And shuttle routes can standby for free.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
No, I'm afraid it's not waived for MVPs. They can however request a SDC beginning at 10pm the night before. And shuttle routes can standby for free.
Thanks. MVP is so crappy compared to MVPG. Hopefully he can stretch and get there this year.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:36 am

If I'm mvp gold (that allows free changes and cancel), but have bought an Alaska metal Alaska flight throu a third party OTA (e.g. Orbitz, Expedia etc) because I had a discount coupon with them, do I still get the mvp gold protection around free cancellation and changes after associating my mvp number to the reservation?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
If I'm mvp gold (that allows free changes and cancel), but have bought an Alaska metal Alaska flight throu a third party OTA (e.g. Orbitz, Expedia etc) because I had a discount coupon with them, do I still get the mvp gold protection around free cancellation and changes after associating my mvp number to the reservation?
No, you only get the waived change fee benefit if you book it on the AS website. The upside is that if you buy partner flights on the as site, you get that benefit even for non-AS metal flights. But to get the change fee waiver, it must be booked on the AS site. You can try calling as you may get an agent who will waive the fee if it is after the first segment has been flown and AS can touch the res.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
What is the latest time I can cancel a flight for free as MVPG?
I booked 2 flights for Monday, not sure if I can make the earlier one. Can I check in for both, and only cancel one of them just before departure time?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Ayase
I booked 2 flights for Monday, not sure if I can make the earlier one. Can I check in for both, and only cancel one of them just before departure time?
I've canceled from the gate area before just before boarding started and after checking in. Did it on the website no problem.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:07 pm

If they're both AS flights, I assume you'd be running the risk of them cancelling one or both. They should know you won't be able to fly both. There's a long thread on the WN forum about WN getting more aggressive about cancelling double bookings recently. Maybe AS is different though? I usually do my double bookings with AS and WN and fortunately they don't seem to confer with one another to see if anyone is double booked
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I've canceled from the gate area before just before boarding started and after checking in. Did it on the website no problem.
Thank you!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thank you!
Also remember you can standby for non-shuttle flights as a Gold, not just SDC. Keep the later flight and if you'll make the earlier flight, you can still standby even if it ends up booked full and can't SDC.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
No question to post just a heads up to check your booked flight frequently as mine had been changed with no notification.
Luckily it is 6 mos away but I had to change flight date and add a hotel night as a result. ( flying Virgin America)
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:15 am

Hello everyone, I booked a flight on American Airlines using Alaska miles. Is it possible to tag the reservation with my Aadvantage number? My main interest in this is just so the flight will show up on my American Airlines account and AA app on my phone. I fly AA more often so this is convenient. I see no obvious way to do this on the website perhaps it is not doable.

Thanks in advance! I searched around and couldn't find an answer.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:26 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If you have the AA PNR, a Tweet to the AA Twitter rep asking that your AA # be added will work. Otherwise, yes, you need to call. As far as getting the reservation in the AA app, just use the "Find Reservation" function and put in the AA PNR.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
How flexible are the AS stopover rules on AA awards through NYC? I have a ticket booked CDG-PHL-LGA in J, so as a stopover for that ticket...

1) Can I book the JFK-SEA direct on AA which shows up as a saver J flight for both AA/AS?
2) Can I book the JFK-SEA direct on AS which prices out at 60k in J?
3) Can I book a LGA-DTW-SEA routing that shows up as 32.5k in J on AA (LGA-DTW) and AS (DAL-SEA)?
4) Can I book a LGA-DAL-SEA routing that shows up as 25k in J on AS?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:08 pm

Hi! This is my first year pursuing status on Alaska. At present, I'm at 30,780 EQM, mostly through partners. I have a further 19,282 EQM worth of flights booked over the remainder of 2017, right to the end of December, all on AS or VX. That will put me at 50,062 miles for the year and get me to MVPG.

What I'm worried about is whether I am cutting it too close. What if the actual mileage credited is a little less than the mileage indicated on the flight reservation? I would hate to end up at 49,999 or something and miss out on MVPG. Am I wrong to worry? Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by qupasyd
Hi! This is my first year pursuing status on Alaska. At present, I'm at 30,780 EQM, mostly through partners. I have a further 19,282 EQM worth of flights booked over the remainder of 2017, right to the end of December, all on AS or VX. That will put me at 50,062 miles for the year and get me to MVPG.

What I'm worried about is whether I am cutting it too close. What if the actual mileage credited is a little less than the mileage indicated on the flight reservation? I would hate to end up at 49,999 or something and miss out on MVPG. Am I wrong to worry? Thanks for the help.
Quoted mileages have always been what's credited, in my experience. It's close, but--while I wouldn't say it's a certainty--word around here is that if you call AS at the end of the year just a handful of miles shy of a status level, they'll bump you up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.