Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For an AA two-segment-but-single-flight-number itinerary, when crediting to AS, does AS award the total flight miles, or just the point-to-point distance from beginning to end?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
For an AA two-segment-but-single-flight-number itinerary, when crediting to AS, does AS award the total flight miles, or just the point-to-point distance from beginning to end?
If it's the same flight number for both flights, then you only earn miles as one segment from origin to destination.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...onditions.aspx

"When travel involves a connecting flight with a change of flight numbers, members will receive mileage credit for each flight segment. A flight segment is defined as travel on flights with the same flight number between an origin and final destination, regardless of intermediate stops."
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
So the credit will be the straight-line distance from the origin to destination?

It is amazing how difficult it has been to get both the AS and AA Twitter reps who are on the desk today to understand my question.

Thank you.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Hello,

could not find any thread about my question... Thank you for your knowledgeable advice!

AS Mileage Plan offers triple miles for car rentals with Alamo: LINK

So far I only got credited the base miles for my car rental 500mi (10d x 50mi) and missing 1000mi from the triple promo. The base miles have been credited about 3 weeks ago. Should I wait any longer for the credit of the promo miles or contact AS for a manual credit?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Hello,

could not find any thread about my question... Thank you for your knowledgeable advice!

AS Mileage Plan offers triple miles for car rentals with Alamo: LINK

So far I only got credited the base miles for my car rental 500mi (10d x 50mi) and missing 1000mi from the triple promo. The base miles have been credited about 3 weeks ago. Should I wait any longer for the credit of the promo miles or contact AS for a manual credit?
Typically these types of promotions with rental car companies require the use of a promotional code in the car rental reservation. Having said that, in this case I may be mistaken.

If I am correct, and if u used a promotional code than you would want to contact the Rental company. They are the ones who transmit information to the Airline saying how many miles they are "buying" for you based upon your "purchase" from them.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
EQM for Premium?

I think I know the answer, but hard to find the actual answer on AlaskaAir.com or here.

As a new MP flyer with no elite status, if I purchase Premium seats do I get any EQM bonus miles?

Also, are the other classes that do offer EQM bonus (S, B, M) the refundable tickets that cost 3x as much?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
This had probably been answered adnauseam but

am i able to use the companion fare & GGU for the free ticket?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

Yes, it has
And yes, you can. But remember that both passengers must be upgraded at the same time. So when using your companion cert, you must buy a GGU-upgradable qualifying fare (K or higher), there must be two U seats available and you must have the instruments (2 x GGU's) to upgrade both pax at the same time.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

Yes.

Each pax needs a GGU code available per direction.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by octagondd
I think I know the answer, but hard to find the actual answer on AlaskaAir.com or here.

As a new MP flyer with no elite status, if I purchase Premium seats do I get any EQM bonus miles?

Also, are the other classes that do offer EQM bonus (S, B, M) the refundable tickets that cost 3x as much?

Thanks
No, no EQM bonus for Premium. The "Class" in the name is misleading. It's not a separate cabin or booking class, just more legroom, drinks, and a snack.

F & P fare classes (First Class) have a class of service bonus that does count towards EQM. The economy classes with bonus are Y, S, M, B. Only Y is refundable/changeable without a fee. The other three are merely at the higher end of the fare class range but usually cost more. Those fare classes allow elite to booking directly into First upgrades (if upgrade space is available) or have fewer restrictions (combinability, lack of advance purchase requirements) in the fare rules.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by rustykettel
No, no EQM bonus for Premium. The "Class" in the name is misleading. It's not a separate cabin or booking class, just more legroom, drinks, and a snack.

F & P fare classes (First Class) have a class of service bonus that does count towards EQM. The economy classes with bonus are Y, S, M, B. Only Y is refundable/changeable without a fee. The other three are merely at the higher end of the fare class range but usually cost more. Those fare classes allow elite to booking directly into First upgrades (if upgrade space is available) or have fewer restrictions (combinability, lack of advance purchase requirements) in the fare rules.
Great, Thank you, that is what I thought.

I will look into how to book the S, M and B fares. Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, UA Silver, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hyatt PLAT, HH Diamond
Sorry I'm new to MP but racked up some miles this year and want to use them to fly biz class to Europe next summer. However, all I can find on the AS website is BA flights that route me through LHR and cost me $500+ in fees.

Can anyone tell me how you go about finding the best flights to Europe? At this point, I don't care where and which airlines (I'm based out of LAX but I can reposition). I just want to get there w/o paying those darn BA fees! Also, I somehow need to snag 4 for my family. I know that won't be easy, but I know it can be done!! (Just did it this past year with 4 J in Singapore and 4 J in Japan Air!! )

Finally I find it so frustrating to see all these mixed cabins on the website w/ the long haul in coach and the short haul in biz...i'm sure i'm not the only to feel this way. So frustrating!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by octagondd
Great, Thank you, that is what I thought.

I will look into how to book the S, M and B fares. Thanks.
Since MVP instant upgrades require Y or S and Gold instant upgrades require Y,S,B or M, you can select one of those in the Upgrade type to display those fare buckets. The website assumes you want to do an upgrade (but actually isn't required) so selecting MVP is limited to a single traveler. Note that those fare buckets may be more expensive than purchasing a P fare outright, $354 for S vs $230 for P! Even M is $239. In addition to a larger class of service bonus (75% vs 50/25%), you also get access to the Alaska Lounge and free checked bags.

An alternate method is to use something like ITA Matrix to display the exact fare class and price for that, then either use one of the booking tools out there or call Alaska within 24 hours of purchasing a standard economy fare and pay the fare difference to upfare to the desired fare class. As with the P fare being less expensive, on a price per mile earned basis, upfaring may not be a good deal and just flying more would be a cheaper way to earn miles (but more time consuming of course!).
Attached Images  
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Stupid question: if I upgrade a coach fair to first class during upgrade, will I accrue EQM's based upon F? Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Stupid question: if I upgrade a coach fair to first class during upgrade, will I accrue EQM's based upon F? Thanks!
No, you'll earn EQMs at the original booking class rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.