Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:55 am

This seems like a dumb question to me, but do the various LIH/OGG/KOA flights ever have U space open in advance, or is it always T-24?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by quemalo
This seems like a dumb question to me, but do the various LIH/OGG/KOA flights ever have U space open in advance, or is it always T-24?
You'll have better odds from SMF/OAK/SJC/SAN than you will from SEA or PDX. Not hard to find on the former routes.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
You'll have better odds from SMF/OAK/SJC/SAN than you will from SEA or PDX. Not hard to find on the former routes.
Yeah, I know AS823 that does the SEA-SMF-OGG same plane flight has U space, but the timing sucks. I'm trying to decide if on one of the non-stop flights I should just stick with a T fare, or pay $70 more for an H fare class. It's only worth it if there is a chance that U will open up before the normal upgrade window though, if I have to wait until check-in I might as well just save the money and get a T fare since even as a 75k I doubt I'd clear day of.

Last edited by quemalo; Jul 13, 2017 at 11:51 am
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:00 pm

I'm new to this whole thing so forgive my ignorance, but I'm looking at using my companion fare for a one way from DAL-SEA on a AS flight. Cost for coach shows to be $192+$15, however if I click on the mileage upgrade for F it shows $300+$15 with the dark blue F box by it. Does that mean that if I wanted to upgrade my the two tickets to F class it would cost $315 plus 15,000 miles? I went through the process without completing it and it never brought up deducting the miles so that is why I am confused. Plus if I wanted to upgrade to F with miles why would I have to also pay more cash? I'm so confused.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Plus if I wanted to upgrade to F with miles why would I have to also pay more cash? I'm so confused.
You can only upgrade to F with miles if there's U availability and your purchase a fare that's on the list of fares that can be upgraded with miles. That's why you'd also have to pay more cash.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kufat
You can only upgrade to F with miles if there's U availability and your purchase a fare that's on the list of fares that can be upgraded with miles. That's why you'd also have to pay more cash.
So from what I am seeing on this particular flight I can upgrade to F but it's going to cost me the 15,000 miles + the $108 difference correct?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
it should be 15,000 points per person each way unless its some sort of glitch.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Yeah, I know AS823 that does the SEA-SMF-OGG same plane flight has U space, but the timing sucks. I'm trying to decide if on one of the non-stop flights I should just stick with a T fare, or pay $70 more for an H fare class. It's only worth it if there is a chance that U will open up before the normal upgrade window though, if I have to wait until check-in I might as well just save the money and get a T fare since even as a 75k I doubt I'd clear day of.
Booking far in advance is the best way to get U from SEA. Also consider via PDX. LIH is becoming a much harder upgrade even out of OAK and SJC...at least via the complimentary route.

Here in SMF, we lament the SEA people who take the upgrade space on 823/800 to get to and from SEA. A lot of them do it...making it harder to upgrade out of SMF than it used to be. For us, the flights are timed perfectly. In fact, just today I got scooped on U space for 823 on a flight I was intending to book, so now I'm planning to book a day earlier. One extra day in Hawaii, what a pity.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Anyone have any successful interline baggage experience from AS to HA and vice versa across separate tickets?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I have never used Alaska FF miles. I am hoping to fly business class from JFK to Madrid with a stopover in Amsterdam on KLM in October 2018. I have some flexibility on dates. I checked availability yesterday as far out as the schedule went and there was absolutely nothing. Will I be able to do this, or am I better off trying to do this thru an award booking service?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Runner123
I have never used Alaska FF miles. I am hoping to fly business class from JFK to Madrid with a stopover in Amsterdam on KLM in October 2018. I have some flexibility on dates. I checked availability yesterday as far out as the schedule went and there was absolutely nothing. Will I be able to do this, or am I better off trying to do this thru an award booking service?
A booking service cannot find space that doesn't exist so don't wasted time with that.

AF/KLM space (AS considers them the same airline for awards) has always been extremely limited

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...n-partner.html
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Can I redeem using AS miles on BA HKG-LHR?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck
Nope, just CX.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by colpuck
No. Cathay Pacific is the only Alaska partner you can redeem on that route.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Nope, just CX.
Originally Posted by Kieron
No. Cathay Pacific is the only Alaska partner you can redeem on that route.
groovy, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.