Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jediwho
Regarding the 75% bonus, how does it work for RDMs if you are also Gold 75K? So, for a 4,000 mile flight, we get 7,000 EQMs and how many RDMs?
Both class of service bonus and elite bonus are calculated on the base miles (4000 in this case).

Earnings would be 7000 EQM as you note and 12000 RDM (4000 base + 3000 class of service bonus + 5000 75K bonus)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:14 am

Wife and kid are flying on my (MVPG) miles. I assumed they would get free checked bags as benefits go with miles, but agent told me only no change fee benefits go with miles, so they have to pay checked bag fees. Is that correct?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Wife and kid are flying on my (MVPG) miles. I assumed they would get free checked bags as benefits go with miles, but agent told me only no change fee benefits go with miles, so they have to pay checked bag fees. Is that correct?
Correct. Elite member status benefits follow the traveler on award. Only thing retained is redeemers MVPG change benefit.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Can AS not handle mixed cabin rewards on DL? I swear I have done a longhaul segment in C and a domestic connection in Y but AS's website for some reason will not price it out.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:05 am

How do I go about getting partner benefits with Delta? I am MVPG and one of the benefits, as I understood, was the ability to get complimentary Preferred seating. But when I go to select seating on a Delta flight, it's still charging me $15. Do I need to do anything different aside from adding my AS number in the passenger info page on the Delta site? Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
How do I go about getting partner benefits with Delta? I am MVPG and one of the benefits, as I understood, was the ability to get complimentary Preferred seating. But when I go to select seating on a Delta flight, it's still charging me $15. Do I need to do anything different aside from adding my AS number in the passenger info page on the Delta site? Thanks!
What's the date of your flight? No benefits on or after next Monday, 5/1.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kieron
What's the date of your flight? No benefits on or after next Monday, 5/1.
Ah, it's at the end of May. Guess I haven't been paying attention, is it just Delta that's affected or all partners?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage + Alaska
Originally Posted by Pusheen
Hey all!

Long time lurker, short time poster. I have been searching for a while trying to figure out the best strategy to get in on rewards, and unfortunately I would always get absolutely overwhelmed with the complex, opaque hierarchies I encountered.

I've thought about it and have begun to narrow my focus to the most obvious choices: Delta or Alaska, since I'm based in Seattle.

I'm hoping with that narrowed focus, I'm at a point where I feel comfortable enough asking a question that is specific enough to be actionable.

I'm a pretty simple portfolio - I don't travel very often/at all for business, and would be primarily focus on accruing points via everyday purchases for the purpose of booking international travel (primarily to Europe, and ideally Asia and Oceania as well). At the moment, I've purchased a single flight via points on American, and have accrued a handful of points that are scattered across American, Virgin, Alaska, United, and regional European airlines, so none of them stand out as an obvious choice over the others, and I'm still somewhat new to the whole concept, though I have a basic grasp of how it operates.

Given this information, my question is this:

What the heck kind of card should I get, anyways?!

There's so many potential avenues, it seems (airline affiliated bank cards, hotel cards like Starwood, local credit unions like BECU) and I'm just overwhelmed with information and am not sure which one would be the best usage of my spending habits to accrue points for the purpose of purchasing basic economy international fares. Currently, my practice has been to purchase cheap fares that I come across regardless of the airline, though I think I would benefit from sticking to one airline (as I did with American and got a free flight out of it, which I was quite pleased with!).

I hope I'm asking in the right place! I'm posting here because I'm leaning towards Alaska and am wondering if that's the right choice - Seattleites tend to hold Alaska in high regard, and the merger is also enticing.

Thank you everyone!
I was wondering - is there a more appropriate place I should ask this question? Help and direction much appreciated!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Free agent!
How long does it take to get missing miles from an AA flight? I flew on 3/24 and submitted a missing mileage claim 14 days after my flight was completed. All I see at this point in my account (both online and in the app) is that the flight shows but with the total miles, base and bonus all as zeros. Of course, all three other AA flights as part of this trip posted normally.

My flight was AA 1638 DFW - PDX, which shows as an eligible flight and booked into G, which is a mileage earning fare class.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
How long does it take to get missing miles from an AA flight? I flew on 3/24 and submitted a missing mileage claim 14 days after my flight was completed. All I see at this point in my account (both online and in the app) is that the flight shows but with the total miles, base and bonus all as zeros. Of course, all three other AA flights as part of this trip posted normally.

My flight was AA 1638 DFW - PDX, which shows as an eligible flight and booked into G, which is a mileage earning fare class.
My retro credit requests have usually posted on the next business day, sometimes up to a week or so. Looking at the calendar, it's been roughly two weeks so I'd probably call Mileage Plan customer service if it were me. I'd have my original email request with boarding pass photo ready to forward if the agent asks for it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:04 pm
RJ1

At the 24 hour online check in point, will seats blocked for "refundable ticket or elite status" open up for anyone to select?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by RJ1
At the 24 hour online check in point, will seats blocked for "refundable ticket or elite status" open up for anyone to select?
Yes, the only slight exceptions were Row 6 (bulkhead) and exit rows (16&17) which had an extra fee for non-elites. Not sure if they still have a fee on non-reconfigured aircraft. Premium Class on reconfigured aircraft will have a fee but you don't have to wait until T-24 to select and pay for those.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
Ah, it's at the end of May. Guess I haven't been paying attention, is it just Delta that's affected or all partners?
Just Delta. Unless you booked before 12/18/2016 you'll want to replace your AS FF# in that reservation with something else, too, so it earns mileage credit somewhere.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Is there a way to change the FF# online? I originally put in BA and then realized since it's a VX operated flight booked through AS that I wouldn't get anything so I'd like to change to EK.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Not sure if I should ask here or in the CX thread...

I'm looking at getting a business redemption on Mileageplan, but I had a rep on the phone today mention that having a business award ticket on CX wouldn't entitle me to lounge access. That's false right?

All these review sites always show lounges, I can't imagine them holding elite status on all 3 alliances.

FWIW it would be BKK-HKG-YVR on award business. I'm looking for lounge access at BKK and HKG. The Cathay site mentions lounge access for business class passengers, but it doesn't mention anything about award tickets, so I can't imagine they DON'T include it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.