Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I've searched here and on the AS website, with no success. Can somebody direct me to the official EQM earning chart? I cannot find it anywhere and it's not attached as a link in any of the WIKI. I can do the math once I get the rules. Trying to make sure I cover the last of the 5.5K miles needed for 75K.
AS earnings chart (incl VX flights ticketed by AS)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska

VX earning chart (Incl incl AS flights ticketed by VX)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:VX
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I've searched here and on the AS website, with no success. Can somebody direct me to the official EQM earning chart? I cannot find it anywhere and it's not attached as a link in any of the WIKI. I can do the math once I get the rules. Trying to make sure I cover the last of the 5.5K miles needed for 75K.
AS doesn’t separate out EQMs and RDMs like other carriers do. For all partners, EQMs are the base miles earned plus the class-of-service miles earned. “Additional bonus” miles on some partners (like BA) are not EQMs.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:55 pm

First question:
I'm MVP Gold, and I used my miles to book an award for my partner (who is just MVP).

On this flight, booked with my mvp gold miles, does my partner get the gold benefit of change/cancel fee waiver within 60 days, or same day free flight changes, which I get as mvp gold?

Second question: mostly crystal ball load factors but .... if I see award availability for Seattle - Anchorage 4pm flight, but want any of the later flights (tons of flights daily), I'm assuming its very likely to be able to same-day-change to a later flight, yes? Not everything is completely sold out surely?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
First question:
I'm MVP Gold, and I used my miles to book an award for my partner (who is just MVP).

On this flight, booked with my mvp gold miles, does my partner get the gold benefit of change/cancel fee waiver within 60 days, or same day free flight changes, which I get as mvp gold?

Second question: mostly crystal ball load factors but .... if I see award availability for Seattle - Anchorage 4pm flight, but want any of the later flights (tons of flights daily), I'm assuming its very likely to be able to same-day-change to a later flight, yes? Not everything is completely sold out surely?
For the first one- Gold miles booked tickets have same change fee waiver. Not sure if it extends to SDC policy. I suspect not as no other Gold benefits are inherited.

I'll leave the second for our SEA-ANC regulars who perhaps can give an estimate of SDC likelihood on that route.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by mrkymark
hey folks,
sorry to ask this question but it's buried somewhere and I can't find it.
haven't had an AS flight for awhile and forgot:

Is the boarding scheme for 737's Economy still:
1. Rows 20-33
2. Rows 6-19 (all other rows welcome to board)

So the cut off is row 20?
If you are asking about 737-800/900's yes. The rest of the fleet I would assume soo.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Or use the wonderful status calculator Excel spreadsheet to do the math for you. In the two months I've been using it, it has been dead-on.
AS Status Calculator Tool

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Waitlisted for upgrade to both Premium Class and F.

When doing online check-in, was allowed to select seat in Premium Class for no charge.

Never got an email or text noting that I'd been upgraded to Premium class and when I checked in my seat assignment still showed the old non-Premium assignment.
It's so seldom I stump the band; is the above a bug, a feature, or a one-off?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:37 pm

IShould I be concerned about myself making it?

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:15 pm
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by shimps1
I have a DSM>ORD>SEA>PSC award ticket booked. I paid the first class rate, even though only ORD>SEA is in first, but I don't really care about that.

My question is, I have DSM>ORD on AA, then the rest on AS. Am I able to check bags in DSM with AA, and will they interline, or would I have to pick them up in ORD and re-check? Also, I have a sub 40 minute connection in SEA, should I be concerned about the bags making it? Should I be concerned about myself making it?
1) Your bags will be checked through.

2) As long as your flight arrives on time, I have a hard time seeing how you could miss a forty-minute connection at SEA, even if you fly into N and depart from C2. I'd guess your bags would make it as well, although having had a bag left at SEA during an (international) connection I wouldn't be as certain.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP75k, Marriott Titanium
Do MVP Golds get waived change/cancellation fees for AS-ticketed VX flights?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Petester
Do MVP Golds get waived change/cancellation fees for AS-ticketed VX flights?
AS ticketed = AS normal fee waiver for MVPG applies, even if you call AS and get a United segment on an AS issued ticket. It doesn't have to be a partner just needs to be ticketed by AS.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
AS ticketed = AS normal fee waiver for MVPG applies, even if you call AS and get a United segment on an AS issued ticket. It doesn't have to be a partner just needs to be ticketed by AS.
VX ticketed also gets the waiver now (by phone) for MVPG+.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I'll leave the second for our SEA-ANC regulars who perhaps can give an estimate of SDC likelihood on that route.
Crystal Ball says: "Maybe".

This is a special market where one week it can be empty on a day of travel, and a week later, every flight is sold out. And things can change last minute as well... have been surprised on this route several times. Despite this, bumps are very rare IMO.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:08 am

I saw a post recently about Horizon cutting some SEA>PSC frequency due to the pilot shortage.

AS3466 on 12/13 was showing a Q400 when I booked it, but it has been switched to a CRJ now. However, the seating chart is showing an odd layout, 13 rows of 2x2 seating. From my research, AS doesn't have a plane with that layout. Should I be concerned about a cancellation here?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shimps1
I saw a post recently about Horizon cutting some SEA>PSC frequency due to the pilot shortage.

AS3466 on 12/13 was showing a Q400 when I booked it, but it has been switched to a CRJ now. However, the seating chart is showing an odd layout, 13 rows of 2x2 seating. From my research, AS doesn't have a plane with that layout. Should I be concerned about a cancellation here?
I'm guessing too early to tell. AS has a lot of place holder seat maps as to not disrupt pax in case of equipment swap. Looks like they plugged in a Skywest CRJ-200 as the seat map matches if you compare to DL/Skywest config.

Last edited by CDKing; Sep 26, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT, AS MVP Gold
Usually posted miles are calculated with a distance that is roughly same as great circle distance available from gcmap etc., but I spotted bigger difference now.

I flew BA16 SYD-LHR in D as part of my RTW ticket. Gcmap gives 10574 miles, but AS have calculated mileage based on the distance of 10349, given total 49158 RDM. I never haven't seen that big difference to gcmap. The bonus makes the difference affect even more, my 75K re-qualification will be more on the edge after the difference. Is that difference normal or should I ask to double check it?

There was discussion about the topic at least in AA forum, but couldn't find similar thread here with quick search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.