Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:00 pm

Banned from further cards?

I just was told that I can no longer have any more Alaska credit cards. Is this a new policy for Bank of America or did I just get nailed for churning these cards? Any suggestions on what to do now?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Can confirm that MyWallet funds will work for booking VX flights on alaskaair.com. Despite this language:

worked fine for purchasing AS1022 (VX1022 PDX-SFO).
Thanks for the DP, rustykettel!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:51 pm
vgc

Originally Posted by cameljockey
I just was told that I can no longer have any more Alaska credit cards. Is this a new policy for Bank of America or did I just get nailed for churning these cards? Any suggestions on what to do now?
How were you told this?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by vgc
How were you told this?
I called the reconsideration phone number. They said I had a number of opened and closed cards. Therefore, they were not going to approve any more cards. It is kind of a surprise actually. BofA must be cracking down.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cameljockey
I called the reconsideration phone number. They said I had a number of opened and closed cards. Therefore, they were not going to approve any more cards. It is kind of a surprise actually. BofA must be cracking down.
How many is several?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Which partner airlines can I earn EQM with?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by faithful
Which partner airlines can I earn EQM with?
All except PenAir and Ravn Alaska
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I think I just made a rookie mistake.

Had a lingering credit on a FlexPerks card that redeems on Alaska as a cash ticket. I booked a random ticket today to drain the account, figuring as an MVP Gold I could just deposit it into My Wallet and use it as a credit toward new bookings in the future.

Apparently if you cancel within 24 hours you can't deposit to My Wallet? So now I have the full value of the ticket stuck on the ticket itself. The problem is that I would like to rebook as TWO seats on a different flight (me + companion) and use GGUs.

I can't figure out a way to do that. If I try to simply "change" the ticket with residual value, it won't let me add a second person, and seems to be suggesting if I book a cheaper flight, instead of sending back a travel credit, it will post a refund back to credit card...

Help? I tried calling in but the agent couldn't figure a way to send it to the wallet and didn't really have any other suggestions.
I see a couple posts after you made this post, your problem was resolved after the 24 hour cancellation period. I am however just going to hijack your original post, seeing as I have the exact same issue, except I cancelled a couple days after booking, and now 10 days later I'm attempting to credit the value of my ticket to "my wallet", and it is not possible. Phone agent also unable to. Only option is to re-book a different flight in my name, and then refund the difference(to my now cancelled flexperks card), or pay the difference above $798.

Has anybody else faced this issue? In direct relation to booking with flexperks and getting a "my wallet" refund.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Originally Posted by sturges
All except PenAir and Ravn Alaska
Do the partner airlines come in at 100% EQM?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by faithful
Do the partner airlines come in at 100% EQM?
Only Qantas for all coach fare buckets, unfortunately. The earning rates for each fare bucket are on the partner pages on Alaska's site.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:57 pm

Are the first class upgrades available for sale on Dan's deals able to be applied to award tickets?

Is it a single flight per upgrade coupon (ie FLL- SEA) or does one coupon cover the entire flight (ie FLL - SEA - ANC)?

Are the upgrades guaranteed once you apply the code?

Can they be used with companion fare?

Do you have to have status to use the upgrades?

Thanks for the education.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Are the first class upgrades available for sale on Dan's deals able to be applied to award tickets?

Is it a single flight per upgrade coupon (ie FLL- SEA) or does one coupon cover the entire flight (ie FLL - SEA - ANC)?

Are the upgrades guaranteed once you apply the code?

Can they be used with companion fare?

Do you have to have status to use the upgrades?

Thanks for the education.
No idea what Dan's Deals is, but I'm assuming that these are Gold Guest Upgrades? If so

They can't be used on award tickets.

A single GGU can be used for an entire direction of travel as long as the connection time between each segment is 4 hours or less.

Must be on an eligible fare class, K or higher. It's instant but U space must be available to apply and can't be waitlisted so in that way it's is guaranteed once applied.

Yes, can be used with companion fare, but both pax must stay in the same cabin so you need two GGUs (or possibly one GGU and pay for the other upgrade with miles through an agent to move both at the same time).

No status required. They can be used anyone.

However

• Guest upgrades are transferable but may not be bartered, bought, sold.
More here. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades
g8trgr8t likes this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Sep 16, 2017 at 9:14 pm Reason: mobile FT message editor is horrible
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:44 pm

I just booked a flight from Newark to San Diego for 9/21. It was a S class fare and I'm currently an MVP 75K. Currently on the waitlist for a First Class upgrade. Can someone explain why I would not be upgraded immediately as I see 4 first class seats open when I search?

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by 2ndServeAce
I just booked a flight from Newark to San Diego for 9/21. It was a S class fare and I'm currently an MVP 75K. Currently on the waitlist for a First Class upgrade. Can someone explain why I would not be upgraded immediately as I see 4 first class seats open when I search?

Thanks!
there has to be U class availability. Unfortunately since AS is transitioning from 16 to 12 first class seats there has been this ongoing drama of sometimes not getting upgrades until at the gate even if 75k.. depends on the route I guess
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:38 pm

Hi, sorry if this has been asked on here before.

Looking to book an upgrade from Y to J on KLM using Alaska Miles. Anyone have any luck with reward availability?

Thanks!

Last edited by ebrench; Sep 17, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.