Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 17, 17, 11:11 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Calchas
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 14, 17, 4:22 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Four.
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To continue about segments, do higher priced tickets or F cabin tickets get more segments? UA give 1.5 on premium cabins.
Old Sep 14, 17, 6:08 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
No. Just EQM multipliers

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska
Old Sep 14, 17, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Thanks. I did see that page and that it did not say anything about segments so wanted to ask if I was missing something and it was somewhere else on the site. If really true that is a negative of the MP. I will most likely be a segment warrior this year to get status. They give bonuses for EQM's for expensive tickets, why not segments?
Old Sep 14, 17, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Thanks. I did see that page and that it did not say anything about segments so wanted to ask if I was missing something and it was somewhere else on the site. If really true that is a negative of the MP. I will most likely be a segment warrior this year to get status. They give bonuses for EQM's for expensive tickets, why not segments?
On the other hand, the segment qualification is already more favorable to 75k (at a flat 3x of MVP) and even more so for partners vs mile qualification. The big 3 are more than happy to reward higher priced tickets, especially on the RDM side.
Old Sep 14, 17, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
On the other hand, the segment qualification is already more favorable to 75k (at a flat 3x of MVP) and even more so for partners vs mile qualification. The big 3 are more than happy to reward higher priced tickets, especially on the RDM side.
I'm confused, what do you mean 3x of MVP?

It takes 90 segments to get 75k. And it's the same 90 segments with partners or just Alaska. UA is 30, 60, 90, 120 segments for the 4 levels but if on expensive tickets can get 1.5 segments. For EQM on AS, can get bonus EQM for expensive tickets, so why no bonus for segments, just seems strange. A segment warrior is probably on more flights than a miles qualifier so is probably actually giving them more money overall. I like Alaska but this is one part of the program I just don't get.
Old Sep 14, 17, 9:36 pm

Hello,

I am trying to book a few award tickets but now, i have the 403 error when i tried to book multi city... anyone has any advice?
Old Sep 14, 17, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by tboons View Post
Hello,

I am trying to book a few award tickets but now, i have the 403 error when i tried to book multi city... anyone has any advice?
The website froze up on me when i got half way through a booking but worked again just a few seconds ago. Maybe the site is having problems?
Old Sep 14, 17, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
I'm confused, what do you mean 3x of MVP?
That you can earn 75K at three times the MVP qualification via segments. On miles, 75K is 3.5 times the MVP qualification. On partner miles, 75K is 3.6 times the partner miles MVP qualification and 4.5 times the all Alaska miles MVP qualification. So there's somewhat of a bias already built into the segment qualification, though not a bonus for premium cabins.
Old Sep 14, 17, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
The website froze up on me when i got half way through a booking but worked again just a few seconds ago. Maybe the site is having problems?
still have the same problem
Old Sep 14, 17, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
That you can earn 75K at three times the MVP qualification via segments. On miles, 75K is 3.5 times the MVP qualification. On partner miles, 75K is 3.6 times the partner miles MVP qualification and 4.5 times the all Alaska miles MVP qualification. So there's somewhat of a bias already built into the segment qualification, though not a bonus for premium cabins.
90 is 3 x 30 segments vs MVP, no break for all AS metal at any level

75 is 3.75 x 20 for AS miles only qualification vs MVP

75 is 1.875 x 40 for AS miles only qualification vs MVPG

90 is 3.6 x 25 for partner miles qualification vs MVP

90 is 1.8 x 50 for partner miles qualification vs MVPG

If you look at the 3 majors, I'll use UA here is what you get. I'll use Platinum as it is the same level as 75K

90 is 3 x 30 segments vs Silver. Same as AS

75 is 3 x 25 miles vs silver

75 is 1.5 x 50 vs gold

So segment wise AS is same as UA But can earn 1.5 segments for high value tickets so easier than AS

Miles wise it is "easier" to earn status on UA, Both has COS bonuses so I will call that easier.

Where AS shines though is earning redeemable miles. AS wins here, unless you buy nothing but very expensive tickets, then UA would win. And on AS as a 75K can still get quite a few upgrades where as a Platinum on UA would barely get any. And AS is a much friendlier airline and do seem to really care about their passengers where as UA is a huge conglomerate type airline that basically says, Meh, we can always replace you if you are less than a Global Services member (based on spending a lot of money to get that status).

So I stand by what I said, AS will give you extra elite qualifying miles for high value tickets so you will qualify easier and faster but don't give you the same thing if you do lots of real short segments but pay a lot for them. My average miles per segment this year is 747. Probably 25% of the flights would have qualified for 1.5 segments on UA.

UA used to treat me really well and I enjoyed them and earned million miler so at least have Gold, until they eliminate that too. I gave them 5 years after the merger to get their stuff together and I only saw things get worse and worse so bailed late last year. I am very happy with AS so far and VX really opened things up for me. Out of SFO I have had to take about 10 segments on AA so far with another 4 booked starting next week as AS/VX doesn't quite have the coverage out of SFO yet or the ticket is outrageously priced, like next weeks trip.

But I ramble on when all I wanted to say was I think AS is dropping the ball in the segment warrior department by not given segment bonuses for high value tickets.
Old Sep 15, 17, 12:31 pm

Can funds in AS Wallet be used on VX flights? Does it matter whether I book the VX flight on the AS or VX website?
Old Sep 15, 17, 1:17 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Thumbs up Follow-up / outcome

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga View Post
Hello,

could not find any thread about my question... Thank you for your knowledgeable advice!

AS Mileage Plan offers triple miles for car rentals with Alamo: LINK

So far I only got credited the base miles for my car rental 500mi (10d x 50mi) and missing 1000mi from the triple promo. The base miles have been credited about 3 weeks ago. Should I wait any longer for the credit of the promo miles or contact AS for a manual credit?
Called Mileage Plan (according instructions online) claiming the missing miles. Very friendly agent forwarded request to Alamo and 2 day later, I got the missing miles credited on my account!

Excellent and very friendly, customer orientated service! [Feedback also sent to AS MP]

Last edited by Air Rarotonga; Sep 15, 17 at 1:24 pm Reason: [Feedback also sent to AS MP]
Old Sep 15, 17, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by paradox View Post
Can funds in AS Wallet be used on VX flights? Does it matter whether I book the VX flight on the AS or VX website?
I don't know whether it's possible, but if it is, it would require booking on the AS site.
Old Sep 15, 17, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
I don't know whether it's possible, but if it is, it would require booking on the AS site.
Can confirm that MyWallet funds will work for booking VX flights on alaskaair.com. Despite this language:
My wallet account terms and conditions

My wallet credits may be redeemed at alaskaair.com for air travel on flights operated by Alaska Airlines flights 1-999, 2000-2999, and 3300-3499.
[...]
worked fine for purchasing AS1022 (VX1022 PDX-SFO).

Search this Thread