Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sturges
Really dumb question...

Are you waitlisted for first class when it says "Premium Class Waitlisted"?

I realized that I have flown only paid F and QX flights this whole year. So this is the first time I've ever had to deal with upgrades to Premium & First.
Unless something has changed (I opt out from Premium now), If that is all you see, you are only waitlisted for Premium not F.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by CDKing
Unless something has changed (I opt out from Premium now), If that is all you see, you are only waitlisted for Premium not F.
Weird, I woke up this morning and noticed that I now have both "Waitlisted for First" and "Waitlisted for premium" below each flight. Must have been a glitch.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
Weird, I woke up this morning and noticed that I now have both "Waitlisted for First" and "Waitlisted for premium" below each flight. Must have been a glitch.
That happened to me as well. It allowed me to Select Premium Seats (October Itinerary) and then showed I was still waitlisted for First.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
New to Alaska...

Does Alaska serve meals on flights just above 2 hours? I'm flying from SEA-SFO and the booking says "snacks." Is this just a cheese plate?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hikouki
New to Alaska...

Does Alaska serve meals on flights just above 2 hours? I'm flying from SEA-SFO and the booking says "snacks." Is this just a cheese plate?
In F, Premium, or regular Y? In that order: depends on time of day, but something light if it says snack (check the F meals thread here); a very small snack box; or a Biscoff and/or bag of pretzels.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Answering 1 of 2 of my own questions

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
I have only recently come into some discount codes and gift certificates. This is all new to me, and I have some questions because I've received inconsistent information on the AS site and from service reps.

1. If you book with a gift certificate and then cancel within 24 hours I believe a replacement certificate will be issued. How long does it take to receive the replacement? When does the replacement expire? Is it possible to extend the expiration of a certificate by booking then canceling?

That is correct. It says it takes up to 7 days. It took only 2 business days, and YES it extended the certificates because the new certificates are good for one year from the date of issue.

2. What happens to a discount code when it is used and then the booking is canceled within the 24 hour cancellation period?
Still don't know on this one.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
New to Alaska...

I flew SEA-LAX last week and the 'snack' was two warm cookies.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
In F, Premium, or regular Y? In that order: depends on time of day, but something light if it says snack (check the F meals thread here); a very small snack box; or a Biscoff and/or bag of pretzels.
Yup, I actually meant first class.

I browsed through their pages, and both Premium and Econ display meals for purchase (although I don't know if those are available on this sector, even for pre-booking).

Am I able to pre-purchase these meals? Are they worth it?

I'm connecting from an Alaska-Horizon (Q400) flight with only one hour connecting time at SEA before the 737-900 First Class flight to SFO. Not sure I would have time to grab something at SEA with that amount of time (long walk from the regional gates). I've transited through SEA a couple of times and usually it is a leisurely 1.5-2 hours. But in the past, I was flying from SEA to PHX on AA and hot meals are offered.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Yup, I actually meant first class.

I browsed through their pages, and both Premium and Econ display meals for purchase (although I don't know if those are available on this sector, even for pre-booking).

Am I able to pre-purchase these meals? Are they worth it?

I'm connecting from an Alaska-Horizon (Q400) flight with only one hour connecting time at SEA before the 737-900 First Class flight to SFO. Not sure I would have time to grab something at SEA with that amount of time (long walk from the regional gates). I've transited through SEA a couple of times and usually it is a leisurely 1.5-2 hours. But in the past, I was flying from SEA to PHX on AA and hot meals are offered.
If you're coming in on a Q400, you may end up at the QX gates near the root of the C concourse, in which case you'll be practically next to the food court. If you can't make it, you'd be able to buy something from the back, but I'm pretty sure the hot Y meals are only catered on midcon or longer flights.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:45 pm

On my return flight, will I have access to a lounge at SFO (e.g. AA) prior to the flight? I don't see a SFO location for the Alaska lounge.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
On my return flight, will I have access to a lounge at SFO (e.g. AA) prior to the flight? I don't see a SFO location for the Alaska lounge.
Nope, SFO does not have any lounges for those on paid AS First, the benefit is limited to Alaska Lounge branded lounges. Only those who have lounge membership can use the partner lounges.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Finkface
I flew SEA-LAX last week and the 'snack' was two warm cookies.
Was this departing after 7 or 8 pm? I can't remember the cutoff but before it's more of a meal, after is the cookies. Flew SFO-SEA in May before the meal cutoff time and it was the quiche, salad, and desert bar also listed as "Snack".

If you're on a paid or award F ticket (as long as it's not upgraded into U from coach), you'll have same day access to Alaska Lounges including after arrival at SEA.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Was this departing after 7 or 8 pm? I can't remember the cutoff but before it's more of a meal, after is the cookies. Flew SFO-SEA in May before the meal cutoff time and it was the quiche, salad, and desert bar also listed as "Snack".....
It was a 7:30pm departure, which is a cookie flight.

Strange experience on that flight as well. There was a young girl of about 9 or 10 years old I would guess, who was seated in coach. She spent pretty much the whole flight in F, visiting a man and a teenager (her dad and sister?) who were sitting in 3A/B. The FA obviously knew the young girl as she let the girl help serve the F cabin. She (the girl) brought us the cookies and asked us all if we would like anything else to drink. People ordered drinks which the FA prepared and the young girl brought to their seat.

I got up to use the lav and asked the FA, who was in the galley, for a glass of Prosecco as I felt weird asking the young girl for it. I was shocked when the girl brought it to me. She served other pax in the F cabin alcoholic drinks as well, including my seatmate. You could tell some people were clearly uncomfortable with the whole thing. Most pax seemed like it was tolerable and maybe cute the first time when she brought cookies but you could tell most were annoyed after awhile with this girl 'playing' Flight Attendant.

And before anyone chimes in with 'what happened when you brought it up to the FA', no I did not say anything at the time. The FA was clearly very friendly with the girl, it could have even been her daughter for all I know, so it would have been really uncomfortable to mention that it was inappropriate when the FA clearly thought it was so cute. Plus, it was a 2 1/2 hour flight so not a big deal in terms of annoyance. But just really strange that the FA let this kid serve booze on a late night flight as well as handle food.

Last edited by Finkface; Sep 13, 2017 at 11:23 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wondering if anyone knows.

Flying SFO-BOS-SFO on VX metal. Ticket purchased on AS web site. My wife is flying with me and we are both on the same PNR. I am MVPG75K, she is MVP. Tickets are Alaska R fares.

Questions are about upgrades.

Tried to contact Virgin to get us put on the upgrade waitlist for MCS seats. They were unable to do it. They did not know why. Tried both with VX and via AS to the VX liaison. Are we going to be able to get (space being available) upgrades to MCS?

On the VX site and Elevate Gold can purchase an upgrade to F at T-25 for themselves and 1 companion on same reservation. The AS website does not mention anything about companions but a Gold75K can also purchase an F upgrade at T-24. Can we both purchase at T-24?

Right now we have exit row seats but would like the MCS benefits if can get it or if not too expensive to sit in F. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:38 pm

I am new here and did try to search about how segments are couned on Alaska but didn't find the info. Can someone please tell me if a tickets is booked -
SEA-SFO-LAX & return LAX-SFO-SEA (all with different flight numbers) Will these be 4 segments or just two segments after completing the roundtrip? TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.