Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:09 am

does alaska offer any benefits on international partners other than lounge access? i don't understand the benefit of flying with alaska (either SEA or PDX based) if a larger share of travel is international.

The biggest impact personally would be lack of comprehensive priority privileges in PE on BA, and lack of seat selection in PE or discount J.

Domestically, Alaska's network will soon not include a lot of smaller east coast destinations with the loss of codeshares, status benefits, and mileage earning with AA in 2018 and the loss of DL.

i'm not comparing alaska to sun country, but what does Alaska offer over DL if I want to stick with one program based at SEA or PDX? or do a lot of you go with two programs (alaska domestically as much as possible plus DL/UA/AA for international)?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
does alaska offer any benefits on international partners other than lounge access? i don't understand the benefit of flying with alaska (either SEA or PDX based) if a larger share of travel is international.

The biggest impact personally would be lack of comprehensive priority privileges in PE on BA, and lack of seat selection in PE or discount J.

Domestically, Alaska's network will soon not include a lot of smaller east coast destinations with the loss of codeshares, status benefits, and mileage earning with AA in 2018 and the loss of DL.

i'm not comparing alaska to sun country, but what does Alaska offer over DL if I want to stick with one program based at SEA or PDX? or do a lot of you go with two programs (alaska domestically as much as possible plus DL/UA/AA for international)?
I'm in a similar boat, where I've been flying 50-60k miles the last few years, but with only 10-12k on AS. I wind up only making MVP between less-than-full earning rates on discount partner Y and just not having partners be a practical option for, say, KBP-PDX. What's worked well for me so far is that FI sells one-ways at fairly reasonable prices, which is great for someone like me with unusual itineraries (my outbound before the Kyiv return was to HEL), but even then I'm stuck at 50% on those fares and 25% if I find a cheap round trip with them to, say, LGW. The loss of 100% AA earning last year was a big deal on its own (a UK trip with them and BA got me almost halfway to requalification), and the ending of the DL partnership only hurts more, especially out of PDX and SEA. After my status expires at the end of next year I'm going free agent while I go into burn mode (and just find other carriers with decent one-way fares) and maybe eventually shoot for DL status. AS and B6 have treated me well enough as a non-status passenger, so I can make due without upgrades for a while or just buy Mint.

UA might make for a decent option for international crediting out of SEA, but only if you make it to *G, I think--UA Silver gets you nothing but priority waitlisting and standby on other *A carriers, not even an elite check-in line. And you'd need substantial spend on one of the credit cards to waive the PQD requirement.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I know this has been dealt with many times before, but I am still somewhat confused. What happens if I take a flight that is on AA metal (in this case from NY to CDG) on Finnair code share flight #5810 (business class), would I get credit and, if so, how would it be determined? For example, do I look at the AA chart or the Finnair chart? Would I get any bonus miles, and, if so, how would it be determined? Which chart?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Mileage based earning, different redemption partners, and no MQD requirement.

Originally Posted by Nevsky
I know this has been dealt with many times before, but I am still somewhat confused. What happens if I take a flight that is on AA metal (in this case from NY to CDG) on Finnair code share flight #5810 (business class), would I get credit and, if so, how would it be determined? For example, do I look at the AA chart or the Finnair chart? Would I get any bonus miles, and, if so, how would it be determined? Which chart?
Look at the AA chart (operating metal) and save your boarding passes! Technically no credit for codeshare flights, but as long as both the operating and marketing carriers are AS partners (and there's been reports of non-AS partner marketing carriers but AS partner operating carrier working too), you should be able to get credit. You'll most likely need to submit a retro credit so save the boarding passes.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:20 pm

Partner Award Question

Hi all -

Hoping someone with more experience than I can save me some trouble here.

I wanted to book a one way award with a stopover. BKK-HKG-ORD-ANC. Stopover at ORD. All on CX or AS metal in biz.

ORD is technically not an AS or CX hub, so I think the stopover may be suspect, but might slip through? Additionally, it is unclear to me if the backtracking is allowed. East coast to west coast, not generally allowed. ORD-PDX/SEA/ANC, anyone know?

I only ask because AS cannot see my CX awards and having HUCA many times, I am tempted just to use some other miles to book the award. If the backtracking is allowed, maybe it is worth trying to deal with AS...if not I think I'll just book with another award currency.

Any benefit to status matching to AS to get more experienced agents who can see CX inventory?

Many thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:37 pm

Direct Flights with Stops

SQ25/SQ26 are direct flights between JFK and SIN that stop in FRA. I'm wondering what the mileage would be if these flights were credited to Alaska. Would they be calculated as JFK-FRA and FRA-SIN or just as JFK-SIN? I imagine the situation is similar with CX888/CX889, which stop at YVR en route to JFK/HKG. Does anyone have any experience with how flights like these usually credit?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bsegreto
Hi all -

Hoping someone with more experience than I can save me some trouble here.

I wanted to book a one way award with a stopover. BKK-HKG-ORD-ANC. Stopover at ORD. All on CX or AS metal in biz.

ORD is technically not an AS or CX hub, so I think the stopover may be suspect, but might slip through? Additionally, it is unclear to me if the backtracking is allowed. East coast to west coast, not generally allowed. ORD-PDX/SEA/ANC, anyone know?

I only ask because AS cannot see my CX awards and having HUCA many times, I am tempted just to use some other miles to book the award. If the backtracking is allowed, maybe it is worth trying to deal with AS...if not I think I'll just book with another award currency.

Any benefit to status matching to AS to get more experienced agents who can see CX inventory?

Many thanks!
Some people have had random luck, However the rule (according to Missydarlin AS employee who posts here) is you cannot connect to west coast via ORD or the east coast CX cities.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by qupasyd
Does anyone have any experience with how flights like these usually credit?
usually these types of flights credit as the nonstop route, ie SQ25 would credit as JFK-SIN.

if you take a stopover in FRA, you'd probably get the JFK-FRA-SIN credit or at least have a better basis on which to argue for it if it didn't credit automatically.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
usually these types of flights credit as the nonstop route, ie SQ25 would credit as JFK-SIN.

if you take a stopover in FRA, you'd probably get the JFK-FRA-SIN credit or at least have a better basis on which to argue for it if it didn't credit automatically.
Thanks! There's not a huge difference in mileage, but it would be nice to earn the higher, actually-flown amount.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:13 pm

Booked a Mileage Plan award flight, DSM>ORD>SEA>PSC. Currently 9:40 departure and 18:30 arrival, a pretty long day. I booked in first class, used 32.5k miles. However, the only flight that I'm actually in first on is ORD>SEA. Fine with this, since the other two flights are under an hour each.

My question, is AS similar to AA, in that if there is award space that opens up on a better itinerary, can I switch to that free of charge? Or do I have to pay a fee to change award itineraries?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by shimps1
Booked a Mileage Plan award flight, DSM>ORD>SEA>PSC. Currently 9:40 departure and 18:30 arrival, a pretty long day. I booked in first class, used 32.5k miles. However, the only flight that I'm actually in first on is ORD>SEA. Fine with this, since the other two flights are under an hour each.

My question, is AS similar to AA, in that if there is award space that opens up on a better itinerary, can I switch to that free of charge? Or do I have to pay a fee to change award itineraries?
As with paid AS tickets, changes are free up to sixty days out from departure (and right up to departure if you have MVPG or 75K status).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by shimps1

Originally Posted by jinglish
As with paid AS tickets, changes are free up to sixty days out from departure (and right up to departure if you have MVPG or 75K status).
I believe the only exception is if the exact same flights open up in F you can upgrade with no charge since you are on a F award but any other change involves the fee inside 60 days if not gold or 75K
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by qupasyd
Thanks! There's not a huge difference in mileage, but it would be nice to earn the higher, actually-flown amount.
Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. Heading eastward, FRA-SIN departs on the following calendar day although I'd assume SQ is smart enough not to be confused prior to sending the data to AS.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
24 hour cancellation, gift certificates, discount codes

I have only recently come into some discount codes and gift certificates. This is all new to me, and I have some questions because I've received inconsistent information on the AS site and from service reps.

1. If you book with a gift certificate and then cancel within 24 hours I believe a replacement certificate will be issued. How long does it take to receive the replacement? When does the replacement expire? Is it possible to extend the expiration of a certificate by booking then canceling?

2. What happens to a discount code when it is used and then the booking is canceled within the 24 hour cancellation period?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Are you waitlisted for first class when it says "Premium Class Waitlisted"?

I realized that I have flown only paid F and QX flights this whole year. So this is the first time I've ever had to deal with upgrades to Premium & First.

Last edited by PABE; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.