Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
if the 20K level is showing on the AS site its not available for AA miles.
thanks. That is what I thought but Award Nexus was flagging the 20k seats in the search I had set for economy so I had a small hope that AA might be able to book those seats.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Searched high and low, and was not able to find anything conclusive, so I have to ask here.

Will AS allow stopover for connecting flight on partner award that already has stopover? In other words is this allowable: AS: SEA - HNL/SFO/LAX (stopover); FJ: HNL/SFO/LAX - NAN (stopover) - SYD (destination)

Also, I have noticed that Qantas shows FJ J availability, but only 2 seats for some days. AS award search shows nothing, is it safe to assume AS has QF-2, similar to FJ-2?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Lazarev
Will AS allow stopover for connecting flight on partner award that already has stopover? In other words is this allowable: AS: SEA - HNL/SFO/LAX (stopover); FJ: HNL/SFO/LAX - NAN (stopover) - SYD (destination)
One stopover per direction.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Lazarev
Searched high and low, and was not able to find anything conclusive, so I have to ask here.

Also, I have noticed that Qantas shows FJ J availability, but only 2 seats for some days. AS award search shows nothing, is it safe to assume AS has QF-2, similar to FJ-2?
Originally Posted by jinglish
One stopover per direction.
I'm not sure you can even connect in HNL on a single AS award. I found saver space LAX-HNL (AS) & HNL-NAN (FJ) when doing separate one way searches. When you piece them together no results. It gives error code -1580 which is usually interpreted as invalid routing.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm not sure you can even connect in HNL on a single AS award.
you can't. long ago i started a thread lamenting this fact, wherein basically to go to CXI you have to take two awards, one to get to HNL on AS metal and one to get to CXI, despite the fact that there is literally no other way to get there.

now it doesn't matter anymore as FJ doesn't seem to release space any longer on the HNL-CXI flight despite the fact that it used to be abundant.

it also kills the possibility of connecting on HNL to get to NZ/AU using the QF SYD-HNL flights, which often have reasonable award space and are 'survivable' in Y after taking a break from the plane in HNL.

AS could stand to fix this but we all know that it isn't a priority.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Probably a silly question, but if I book an AS flight on an AA award, will I earn any EQM's?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Probably a silly question, but if I book an AS flight on an AA award, will I earn any EQM's?
No airline lets you earn on award fares.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
No airline lets you earn on award fares.
That's what I expected, I just hoped there might be a lack of communication between the two that might make it happen.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
That's what I expected, I just hoped there might be a lack of communication between the two that might make it happen.
the only time i've seen this happen is in severe IRROPs when a flight change results in an agent rebooking an award into a revenue fare class. even then, the systems are usually smart enough to catch it and not award the credit.
91foxbody likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
the only time i've seen this happen is in severe IRROPs when a flight change results in an agent rebooking an award into a revenue fare class. even then, the systems are usually smart enough to catch it and not award the credit.
That's the only time it's happened to me, and it only worked because they (BA agent at LHR) put me on a UA SEA-PDX flight and I was able to credit that to UA.
synergistic likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:14 pm

Has anyone had issues reducing credit limit? I tried to reduce mine to $250 to get the refund on the annual fee but I was unable to.

The lowest they were gonna go was $5000.

What happened?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by coffeeortea
Has anyone had issues reducing credit limit? I tried to reduce mine to $250 to get the refund on the annual fee but I was unable to.

The lowest they were gonna go was $5000.

What happened?
There have been reports of people successfully lowering their credit limits below $5K in the two credit card threads, usually in preparation for closing accounts and not having available credit tied up:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...s-now-30k.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ines-visa.html

HUACA, maybe? Not sure than lowering the credit limit will avoid/reduce the annual fee. Also might take a look at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...onversion.html
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:10 pm

i remember reading somewhere that alaska flight tickets can be reimbursed in full (as wallet funds, expired within a year of ticket issue), as long as the flight ticket is bought from alaskaair.com and cancelled >60 days before the flight departure.

does this 'benefit' apply to ALL alaska airline flight tickets, even though it says "non-refundable" in the terms when i try to book it?

basically, i just would like to know what language to look out for, that nullify this 'benefit'. dont want to be stuck with a ticket that i cant get full refund.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
i remember reading somewhere that alaska flight tickets can be reimbursed in full (as wallet funds, expired within a year of ticket issue), as long as the flight ticket is bought from alaskaair.com and cancelled >60 days before the flight departure.

does this 'benefit' apply to ALL alaska airline flight tickets, even though it says "non-refundable" in the terms when i try to book it?

basically, i just would like to know what language to look out for, that nullify this 'benefit'. dont want to be stuck with a ticket that i cant get full refund.
This is the case for all non-refundable fares. Refundable means no change/cancel fees including inside sixty days and that the money gets refunded to method of payment.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:37 am

This is the case for all non-refundable fares. Refundable means no change/cancel fees including inside sixty days and that the money gets refunded to method of payment.
Oh i see. thank you, so is this a good way to summarize it

NONREFUNDABLE FARE
can be refunded fully as wallet funds that expire within 1 year. but flight cancellation must be done 60 days before departure, otherwise there is change and/or cancel fees applied to the refund amount

REFUNDABLE FARE
can be refunded at any time before flight departure, to the original method of payment without change and/or cancel fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.