Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Quoted mileages have always been what's credited, in my experience. It's close, but--while I wouldn't say it's a certainty--word around here is that if you call AS at the end of the year just a handful of miles shy of a status level, they'll bump you up.
Thanks -- it's helpful to know that irregularities aren't common, and that AS may offer a bit of leeway around the 50k threshold.

I noticed today that there's been a 2-hour schedule change on one of my reservations. I'm thinking I could use that to ask for a less direct routing with extra mileage, just to be safe.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qupasyd
Thanks -- it's helpful to know that irregularities aren't common, and that AS may offer a bit of leeway around the 50k threshold.

I noticed today that there's been a 2-hour schedule change on one of my reservations. I'm thinking I could use that to ask for a less direct routing with extra mileage, just to be safe.
Not sure where you are located or where your itineraries will take you but if you have a free day you could do a cheap short haul hop and back. For example you could do LAX-LAS for as little as $42 each way. Remember minimum 500 miles per flight. Think of it as a cheap $84 insurance policy with 1000 EQM. 😁

If you did this a few times you would attain MVPG sooner and the flights you have booked for later in the year will get 100% bonus RDM and a better chance of upgrades.

Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Not sure where you are located or where your itineraries will take you but if you have a free day you could do a cheap short haul hop and back. For example you could do LAX-LAS for as little as $42 each way. Remember minimum 500 miles per flight. Think of it as a cheap $84 insurance policy with 1000 EQM. 😁

If you did this a few times you would attain MVPG sooner and the flights you have booked for later in the year will get 100% bonus RDM and a better chance of upgrades.

Cheers
I appreciate the ideas!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
Does the companion fare remain in your Alaska account (through the companion fare's expiration date) even if you cancel the card? The annual fee is coming up and I am planning on cancelling the card.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Is this possible? Any problems or warnings?

Let's say I need to fly DEN-SEA-OAK and return.

For status-chasing (and as I calculate what I need for MVPG) it would be helpful to have one or two legs in F. The whole itinerary in F is too pricey for me.

Is it possible book the four segments separately as a multi-city itinerary lookup and pick and choose with one or two of the segments in Y and one or two in F?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by MissMiles
Does the companion fare remain in your Alaska account (through the companion fare's expiration date) even if you cancel the card? The annual fee is coming up and I am planning on cancelling the card.
In theory it should, it was earned on the merits of opening and satisfying the requirments of the account. Your BOA Alaska Airlines account and your MileagePlan account are two separate entities so closing the BOA account would have no bearing on your Mileage Plan account.

I don't churn credit cards if they continue to be viable after the AF. I place a lot of value on the companion certificate so have never closed any of my accounts. If I can save in excess of $1000 on a reservation the $75 AF is pretty insignificant even if you only hold it for the annual companion certificate. I opened my first account in 2009 and have subsequently added 4 more acoounts opening my last one this month. If you have MVPG or MVGG75K status you can get really creative with them and find yourself sitting up front more often than in the back.
MissMiles likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd

For status-chasing (and as I calculate what I need for MVPG) it would be helpful to have one or two legs in F. The whole itinerary in F is too pricey for me.

Is it possible book the four segments separately as a multi-city itinerary lookup and pick and choose with one or two of the segments in Y and one or two in F?

Thanks!
Yes, you can select a different cabin for each leg so if you split it into four legs in multicity, you can select the specific cabin for each cabin. Keep in mind that splitting this way may price it as two separate fares in each directions (DEN-SEA, SEA-OAK, etc.) rather than a through fare, although Alaska's website usually figures out if a lower fare might apply to the itinerary and reprices lower in the cart. Splitting cabins might impact this though.

Another option would be to just make it a simple RT and select coach on the outbound and F on the inbound (or v.v.) when selecting flights.

Originally Posted by MissMiles
Can confirm that it did for my wife, although the AF already posted when she called and eventually ended up cancelling. BofA seems to have reversed the AF fee on account closure too (after it was paid).
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:46 pm

Thanks!
Absolutely, there are several approaches, first you could just book a return DEN-OAK. When selecting your flights you can mix and match the cabins as you see fit. Secondly, you could book multiple itineraries, even open jaws. For example DEN-SEA-OAK//SEA-DEN on one and OAK-SEA on the other. Just be cautious that having more than one PNR can cause issues in the case of IIROP's. Also look for additional hops like DEN-SEA-PDX-OAK.

With the multi-city
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:02 am

Thanks!
With the multi-city, play around with other combinations such as Bellingham DEN-BLI, BLI-OAK, OAK-DEN or Spokane DEN-GEG, GEG-OAK, OAK-DEN with three legs. More creative might be DEN-LAS, LAS-SFO, OJ, OAK-EAT, EAT-DEN with four legs. All flights < 500 miles accumulate 500 EQM so little hops back and forth, here and there add up quickly. If you have the time it may be more cost effective to add a few more segments than to pay for F.

I just looked at a one-way from SEA-OAK on Noveber 4th. Lowest price $118.40. DEN-SEA 1021 miles, SEA-OAK 671 miles. Total EQM 1692 miles. If I break it up with the multi-city as DEN-SEA and SEA-OAK I can purchase F on the first leg and Y on the second. Price jumps to $310.49. DEN-SEA 1021 miles + 766 COS bonus, SEA-OAK 671 miles. Total EQM 2458 miles. Essentially you are paying a $190.09 premium for 766 EQM or 24.8 Cents per qualifying mile. Ouch.

Now, lets look at throwing in another city, Spokane. DEN-GEG as the first segment and GEG-OAK as the second. For the same date the lowest fare is $233.00. DEN-SEA 1021 miles, SEA-GEG 500 miles, GEG-SEA, 500 miles and SEA-OAK 671 miles. Total EQM 2692 miles. Leave earlier out of DEN, arrive in OAK at the same time. $77.10 cheaper than option one and generates more EQM.

Similarly, DEN-GEG, GEG-BLI, BLI-OAK would be $369.79 and total EQM 3692.

Last October I did a mileage run, fly everywhere, go nowhere day to reach MVPG. Left my home airport at 6:00 am returned at midnight. Flew YLW-SEA-LAX-PDX-SFO-SEA-YLW. As an MVP at the time 3/4 segments with F were upgraded. With a lot of multi-city searches I was able to put it all together for $277.00 + taxes.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I don't think upgrading a flight or two to F for the 75% COS bonus may be the most effective way to increase your EQM's to reach MVPG. Wishing you success.

Cheers
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
VERY helpful. Thanks to you both.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:37 pm

MVPG, Had a flight booked for me via a corporate travel portal - had to call to add FF#, asked to be waitlisted, but now it doesn't say Waitlisted for First either on the app or on the website (nor is there the option to request to be added to the waitlist) - I'm assuming I'll need to call in again to ask them to waitlist me again? Or is this just a glitch of latency with adding the FF#, and it'll settle before my flights?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by rm456
MVPG, Had a flight booked for me via a corporate travel portal - had to call to add FF#, asked to be waitlisted, but now it doesn't say Waitlisted for First either on the app or on the website (nor is there the option to request to be added to the waitlist) - I'm assuming I'll need to call in again to ask them to waitlist me again? Or is this just a glitch of latency with adding the FF#, and it'll settle before my flights?
I have two itineraries both using GGU's. I called Alaska to be added to the waitlist on a couple of flight segments on each itinerary. One processed perfectly and showed it was waitlisted for first. The other did not. I called a second time a couple days later. Still not showing. I called a third time. It was passed to a supervisor who worked on it for a while. The agent advised to check again the next day and if it didn't show it would be passed to IT. It still isn't showing, maybe #4 will be my lucky number.

I was also told it wasn't the first time that day they had seen the issue. I wouldn't wait. Give them a call. If there are issues they need to ne aware of them so they can be addressed sooner than later.

Cheers
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:00 am

Cathay Pacific redemption using Alaska miles

Hello FT people,

I'm trying to find out the amount of miles needed to fly in business, on cathay pacific, form MAN UK, to DPS Bali, using alaska miles.

I've looked on the Alaska site, which states 42500 for a one-way redemption Europe to Asia, presumably doubled for a return? Are their redemption's distance based?

Would this Alaska Miles cost cover the entire trip (two legs. MAN-HKG and HKG-DPS), or would the first leg cost me 85000, plus the whatever the Alaska Miles cost form HKG to DPS?

Many thanks in advance for your time/help
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Ededdneddie
Hello FT people,

I'm trying to find out the amount of miles needed to fly in business, on cathay pacific, form MAN UK, to DPS Bali, using alaska miles.

I've looked on the Alaska site, which states 42500 for a one-way redemption Europe to Asia, presumably doubled for a return? Are their redemption's distance based?

Would this Alaska Miles cost cover the entire trip (two legs. MAN-HKG and HKG-DPS), or would the first leg cost me 85000, plus the whatever the Alaska Miles cost form HKG to DPS?

Many thanks in advance for your time/help
Europe is to/from HKG only. Going past HKG you need a separate award.

MAN-HKG - 45000 points
HKG-DPS - 22500 points
DPS-HKG - 22500 points
HKG-MAN - 45000 points

Total points 135,000 Round Trip
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:05 am

Hello CDKing,

Thanks very much for your time. It's much appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.