Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Quail
I only have done this twice and not in the last year, but as far as I know name changes are allowed with a name change fee equal to the change fee ($125). Calling in is required.

Same last name won't help (and won't hurt).
AFAIK, you can't change the passenger on a reservation (see companion code exception above) but would love to be proven wrong. Otherwise, what would be the point of a non refundable ticket if you could just change the passenger for a small change fee? In your case, did they just cancel it and use the residual value for a new ticket? Or perhaps it is a YMMV situation. I would be happy to hear that changing the passenger on a res is permitted if AS really does allow this.

From the COC:
Tickets are not transferable.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:27 pm

Few questions.
1.Try to sign up my kid through 5k bonus link but get "Thank you for your interest in Mileage Plan and My Account. We cannot complete your enrollment online due to online age requirements." If I call cs, will my kid be able to get 5k bonus?

2. Does free (not $99) companion ticket satisfy the flight requirement for the bonus? Fine print says "To qualify, the flight must be eligible to earn Mileage Plan miles"

3. If no for Q2, can I assign which passenger get free ticket if I book a group of three?

Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by khlay
Few questions.
1.Try to sign up my kid through 5k bonus link but get "Thank you for your interest in Mileage Plan and My Account. We cannot complete your enrollment online due to online age requirements." If I call cs, will my kid be able to get 5k bonus?
Looking at my account history, when I signed up my kid, she did not get a bonus. But I don't know if there was a 5k bonus in play at the time; it was several years ago.

2. Does free (not $99) companion ticket satisfy the flight requirement for the bonus? Fine print says "To qualify, the flight must be eligible to earn Mileage Plan miles"
For mileage earning purposes, the companion ticket is a regular flight; absolutely nothing special about it. It earns like any other ticket. The companion code is just a discount code that reduces the fare paid but otherwise doesn't change the ticket except that the companion must fly with the primary ticket holder.

3. If no for Q2, can I assign which passenger get free ticket if I book a group of three?
You can't book more than two passengers with a companion fare anyway. The third passenger has to be on a different reservation.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
You can't book more than two passengers with a companion fare anyway. The third passenger has to be on a different reservation.
Thanks for the information.
Forget Alaska is not revenue based program.

Will Alaska allow minor on his own reservation? I'm bringing two kids with me.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by khlay
Thanks for the information.
Forget Alaska is not revenue based program.

Will Alaska allow minor on his own reservation? I'm bringing two kids with me.
Yes. You have to book the reservation with the adult (on the same flight) first. Then when you make the child's reservation, it will ask you for the adult's PNR before confirming payment. (I forget exactly when in the booking process, but it's near the end.) Its incredibly simple, smart, and straightforward (given the IT mess that airline reservation systems normally are).
khlay likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:29 pm

I'm guessing this has been asked before but I can't find the answer.
I have an American Airlines reservation booked and I attached my MVP 75k number. That allowed me to get main cabin extra seating without having to pay for it. If I go in and remove my Alaska number and attach my American number, which has no status, will I be kicked out of those seats or asked to pay for those seats?
Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by badgersfly
I'm guessing this has been asked before but I can't find the answer.
I have an American Airlines reservation booked and I attached my MVP 75k number. That allowed me to get main cabin extra seating without having to pay for it. If I go in and remove my Alaska number and attach my American number, which has no status, will I be kicked out of those seats or asked to pay for those seats?
Thanks
I can't speak to precisely that scenario, but as an MVP I get free preferred seats at booking (and MCE at T-24); when aircraft swaps have occurred several months out, I've retained my row/letter assignments even when they placed me in MCE on the new plane. Given those experiences, I'm betting I'll be able to keep my preferred seats for an AA award happening after the semi-breakup, and I'd say odds are decent that you'll get to retain yours.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Special meal preferences?

Is there a way to request/notify meal preferences? I am lactose intolerant and try to avoid dairy if I can.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mrapollinax
Is there a way to request/notify meal preferences? I am lactose intolerant and try to avoid dairy if I can.
AS does not serve special meals. So you will need to bring your own food to be safe.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
My status is going to expire 12/31 and I am not going to be in any position to make it back even to MVP.

I seem to remember that if you go onto the upgrade WL before your status expires, those upgrade requests might be preserved at the time you fly. So basically I am wondering if it makes sense to book a couple of 2018 award tickets prior to 12/31 for this reason? Similarly for getting access to "preferred" main cabin seating...?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Question about changing an AS award.
I currently hold 2 awards OME-SFO in Sept for 20K miles each.
Thinking about changing to different flights on same day. They are now available at 30K each.
1 What would be the change fee in addition to the extra miles?
2 Is there any possibility of changing these flights on the day of departure, provided the award seats were still available? Would there be a fee then as a stand-by?
If it matters, I am AA Plat.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
this might seem like a dumb question, but my googling doesn't give me a definitive answer. if i fly a codeshare, do i earn miles based on the marketing carrier or the operating carrier?

specifically im looking at a flight marketed by JAL by operated by AA. the AS website seems to suggest that i'll earn based on the marketing carrier since it states:
Eligible flight numbers

0001–8999

on the JAL partner page, but I just wanted to make sure
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by merridius
this might seem like a dumb question, but my googling doesn't give me a definitive answer. if i fly a codeshare, do i earn miles based on the marketing carrier or the operating carrier?

specifically im looking at a flight marketed by JAL by operated by AA. the AS website seems to suggest that i'll earn based on the marketing carrier since it states:
Eligible flight numbers

0001–8999

on the JAL partner page, but I just wanted to make sure

Technically, according to the Terms and Conditions, Codeshare Flights are not eligible for mileage accumulation. It does say that eligibility is for Flights Marketed AND Operated by the same Carrier. However, in practice, since both AA & JL are AS Partners, Alaska will credit based on the Operating Carrier. They will NOT automatically post to your account. You will have to email your boarding pass(es) to Alaska and request a manual credit. I have called Alaska on this point before and was specifically told it is the Operating Carrier that they will credit mileage on.

As a side note, specific to Emirates Airlines (EK) the terms and conditions additionally say that eligibility requires the flight(s) to be on the Ticket Stock of Emirates yet I have read some posters were successful in geting credit for Qantas Marketed and Emirate Operated flights.

A quick call to Alaska with your specifics may put your mind to rest. 🤔

Cheers
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Thinking about changing to different flights on same day. They are now available at 30K each.
2 Is there any possibility of changing these flights on the day of departure, provided the award seats were still available? Would there be a fee then as a stand-by?
Bumping this up as I leave tomorrow and would like to hear before I leave (if possible).
TIA
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Bumping this up as I leave tomorrow and would like to hear before I leave (if possible).
TIA
Assuming this an award using AS miles..

1. Without AS status, I believe the $125 change fee would apply in addition to miles, unless the 30K level is a refundable fare. I can't remember how AS handles upfares to a refundable class and I'm afraid I'm confusing it with UA in my memory. Easiest way is to go into manage your reservation and choose the change flights options and see what the system wants to charge. Maybe you'll get lucky like someone here did and there's no additional charge.^

2. Standard SDC policy would apply, no need for award availability- https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...t-changes.aspx

No addition benefits for AA elite in either scenario I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.