Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
But if you didn't want that one, C would be the 2nd closest, but not by much. Take the escalator up from the trains to the main gate level, elevator to the Alaska Lounge is on the wall next to gate C16A & restrooms.
The escalator system seems better via C - less people to battle. And close to Waji's

C is the first stop from N. D is the last stop before N.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by adele822
When is your flight? I'd like to do this but the option isn't available for me yet (I'm traveling SEA to LAS too)
The 20th, it's probably only available during "meal times" as my ANC-SEA at 2:30 am only has in flight snack packs. You can also only do it 14 days in advance, but it was actually 13 for me.

Last edited by SpicyMorale; Aug 9, 2017 at 5:08 am Reason: Clear as mud
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
The 20th, it's probably only available during "meal times" as my ANC-SEA at 2:30 am only has in flight snack packs. You can also only do it 14 days in advance, but it was actually 13 for me.
Cool, I'm still a month out, but I was hoping it wasn't a day before type of deal when you check in. That's a good point though about the time of the flight, I hadn't thought about that. I'm on the last flight out of SEA that leaves at 10pm so I may not have many options.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
Has the time frame for pre-order been extended recently? For a long, long time it's been possible to use the app to pre-order coach meals up to 7 days in advance - I've never seen it work more than a week ahead of a flight.

Originally Posted by adele822
Cool, I'm still a month out, but I was hoping it wasn't a day before type of deal when you check in. That's a good point though about the time of the flight, I hadn't thought about that. I'm on the last flight out of SEA that leaves at 10pm so I may not have many options.
Unless there has been a recent change, the app's pre-order feature in coach is only applicable if the flight is one that offers the cheese plate and/or a hot meal option. It doesn't work for the deli or picnic packs that are only available as onboard options.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:24 pm

Hi all,

I know that AS offers 1 free stopover on one-way award tickets. If I want to fly A-B-C with a stopover in B, do I need to find award availability for both flight A-B and flight B-C, or does it suffice to find availability for the entire itinerary A-B-C as a whole?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by appleorange
Hi all,

I know that AS offers 1 free stopover on one-way award tickets. If I want to fly A-B-C with a stopover in B, do I need to find award availability for both flight A-B and flight B-C, or does it suffice to find availability for the entire itinerary A-B-C as a whole?

Thanks!
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you referring to married segment availability? You need to find availability on each flight you book. So if you're flying A-B and B-C, you need to find availability on the A-B flight and the B-C flight, whenever each one is. The time between the two flights determines whether it's a stopover or just a layover, which can affect pricing (but typically doesn't because, as you say, AS offers a free stopover).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ashill
The time between the two flights determines whether it's a stopover or just a layover, which can affect pricing (but typically doesn't because, as you say, AS offers a free stopover).
it does affect pricing from the taxes perspective, which with some itineraries can be a reasonably substantial impact.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS, WN
Hey all, first time poster but a bit of a lurker. I will be booking three one-way tickets for June 2018 to Anchorage in the next couple of months (waiting for Southwest and JetBlue to release their June schedules). Departure is RDU, but how we book depends on how we can get the best deal. I have AS miles and Southwest Rapid Rewards points to use.

If I can't get three flights using Miles & Money for a good price (or preferably three SEA-ANC tickets for 12.5K miles only each which is looking unlikely), then I will be booking with a combination of points (one ticket), cash (one ticket) and using a companion certificate (one ticket). I would like to be able to book everything on the same reservation number so we can all get a free checked bag w/ my Alaska Air Visa. Does anyone know if I can I book that way under one reservation number, or will I have to book the one flight using miles only separately? I know I have to book the cash and companion tickets together.

TIA!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Straitlover
Hey all, first time poster but a bit of a lurker. I will be booking three one-way tickets for June 2018 to Anchorage in the next couple of months (waiting for Southwest and JetBlue to release their June schedules). Departure is RDU, but how we book depends on how we can get the best deal. I have AS miles and Southwest Rapid Rewards points to use.

If I can't get three flights using Miles & Money for a good price (or preferably three SEA-ANC tickets for 12.5K miles only each which is looking unlikely), then I will be booking with a combination of points (one ticket), cash (one ticket) and using a companion certificate (one ticket). I would like to be able to book everything on the same reservation number so we can all get a free checked bag w/ my Alaska Air Visa. Does anyone know if I can I book that way under one reservation number, or will I have to book the one flight using miles only separately? I know I have to book the cash and companion tickets together.

TIA!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'm almost certain there's no way to put an award and cash ticket on one reservation, so you'll only get the two free checked bags between the three of you. It's annoying.

A phone agent was able to swap names around for me recently: I booked a companion ticket with Jane Smith (MVP, credit card holder) and Jason Jones (MVPG) on it and Child Jones on a separate (paid) reservation; after ticketing but within 24 hours, they were able to swap Jane Smith to the separate reservation and Child Jones to the companion reservation so that we got the elite's checked bag allowance on both reservations.* But it sounds like that won't help you, alas. I was very pleasantly surprised with how much the phone agents were able and eager to do for us in this situation, though, so definitely give them a call and see if they can somehow create one reservation.

You will certainly be able to link the reservations through the Alaska web site, but my experience is that that doesn't transfer benefits; it just puts a note in the record to help agents see that you're traveling with someone else.

*(The credit card holder had to be on the companion pass reservation at ticketing because we couldn't find her actual credit card at that moment.)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Just wanted to double-check with the crowd and/or @missydarlin. It won't let me do this online and the main res number says it is not allowed. What I want to do is use a single award ticket for LAX-DFW (stopover) -PHL. It just comes back with nothing. Individually I can see award availability for non-stop AA flights for each leg (and VX LAX-DFW). But multi-city I get nada.

As explained to me it's due to the system trying to route DFW-SEA-PHL (which is obviously backtracking) even though AA has a non-stop. Or maybe its some other rule? But just confirming that this routing is not legal.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Governator
Just wanted to double-check with the crowd and/or @missydarlin. It won't let me do this online and the main res number says it is not allowed. What I want to do is use a single award ticket for LAX-DFW (stopover) -PHL. It just comes back with nothing. Individually I can see award availability for non-stop AA flights for each leg (and VX LAX-DFW). But multi-city I get nada.

As explained to me it's due to the system trying to route DFW-SEA-PHL (which is obviously backtracking) even though AA has a non-stop. Or maybe its some other rule? But just confirming that this routing is not legal.

Thanks in advance.
Stop-overs are only allowed domestically on AS metal awards, No partner awards (which includes VX as well). Its actually the same on all intra-regional awards except JL Asia to Asia which allows stopover in NRT (no Japan domestic JL stop-overs)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Thanks in advance.
If I understand correctly, you were trying to use AA on one leg and VX on the other? If so, regardless of any routing issues, you can't have more than one partner on any one way award - stopover or no stopover. You can have AA+AS or VX+AS but you can't have AA+VX.

Plus, a stopover on any domestic award must be completely on AS metal (not even VX - yet).

From the T&C:

Mileage Plan awards may include one of the following: a one-way, round-trip or open jaw itinerary. One en route stopover at an eligible city is allowed for each one-way award on international itineraries. An exception allowing an otherwise-illegal open jaw trip is permitted when travel is between the State of Alaska and the lower 48 states and a stopover occurs in Southeast Alaska. When award travel is redeemed solely on Alaska Airlines, one enroute stopover is allowed for each one-way award. One enroute stopover is allowed on a one-way award. Round-trip itineraries with 2 stopovers, or one-way awards with 1 stopover may only be booked through an Alaska Airlines call center. They are not available online. Call center ticketing fees apply.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...onditions.aspx
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

Thanks in advance.
I'm ready to be corrected, but are you sure that purely domestic partner award tickets even allow stopovers? Because I'm pretty sure only international award tickets do.

edit: beaten by not advancing to the new page.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS, WN
Originally Posted by ashill
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'm almost certain there's no way to put an award and cash ticket on one reservation, so you'll only get the two free checked bags between the three of you. It's annoying.

A phone agent was able to swap names around for me recently: I booked a companion ticket with Jane Smith (MVP, credit card holder) and Jason Jones (MVPG) on it and Child Jones on a separate (paid) reservation; after ticketing but within 24 hours, they were able to swap Jane Smith to the separate reservation and Child Jones to the companion reservation so that we got the elite's checked bag allowance on both reservations.* But it sounds like that won't help you, alas. I was very pleasantly surprised with how much the phone agents were able and eager to do for us in this situation, though, so definitely give them a call and see if they can somehow create one reservation.

You will certainly be able to link the reservations through the Alaska web site, but my experience is that that doesn't transfer benefits; it just puts a note in the record to help agents see that you're traveling with someone else.

*(The credit card holder had to be on the companion pass reservation at ticketing because we couldn't find her actual credit card at that moment.)
Oh, well. Better to pay for one bag than three . If we end up booking this way, I'll check with them. Would be nice if they could do something since my first year fee on the card was not waived like lots of people here talk about.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Straitlover
Oh, well. Better to pay for one bag than three . If we end up booking this way, I'll check with them. Would be nice if they could do something since my first year fee on the card was not waived like lots of people here talk about.
Annual fee is never waived for Alaska Visa Card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.