Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Stupid question: if I upgrade a coach fair to first class during upgrade, will I accrue EQM's based upon F? Thanks!
To clarify, if it is considered an upgrade (a U fare class) then you get your original booking class. If it is an upfare to a real fare for upfront where you are paying the difference in fare then you get the bonus EQM's.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jinglish
No, you'll earn EQMs at the original booking class rate.
Originally Posted by Baze
To clarify, if it is considered an upgrade (a U fare class) then you get your original booking class. If it is an upfare to a real fare for upfront where you are paying the difference in fare then you get the bonus EQM's.
Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear! Thanks for clarifying. I was hoping I could cash upgrade the rest of my trips this year to help up the difference between MVP and MVPG.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear! Thanks for clarifying. I was hoping I could cash upgrade the rest of my trips this year to help up the difference between MVP and MVPG.
Are you MVP already? If so, you won't be offered the cash upgrade, you'll already be upgraded.

Check the fare difference between economy and first. On some routes there's not that much of a delta and you'll get Alaska Lounge access (and free bags, but you'd get that already as a MVP). According to missy, a change fee may apply as normal when upfaring from economy to first, but IME, the agent will only charge the fare difference.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Are you MVP already? If so, you won't be offered the cash upgrade, you'll already be upgraded.

Check the fare difference between economy and first. On some routes there's not that much of a delta and you'll get Alaska Lounge access (and free bags, but you'd get that already as a MVP). According to missy, a change fee may apply as normal when upfaring from economy to first, but IME, the agent will only charge the fare difference.
I am not MVP, but will be soon. It's a short hop from PDX to SFO and back this weekend, so I paid the $50 fee to upgrade tonight, and I'm undecided for the way back Sunday.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Has anyone had any experience crediting Finnair flights to Alaska as yet? I had a flight nearly two weeks ago but still no miles in my account.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Does AS have curbside checkin for PDX (Portland) on sunday? We fly AS400 PDX-SFO. The 567 SFO-PDX didn't have curbside at SFO T2.
Also my home-printed BP didn't say F or "priority" and the TSA screener tried to get us into the regular tsa line before I iterated that we were in AS F. is that normal for the BP to not have any F mention because VX definitely has a F mention for tsa.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Does AS have curbside checkin for PDX (Portland) on sunday? We fly AS400 PDX-SFO. The 567 SFO-PDX didn't have curbside at SFO T2.
Also my home-printed BP didn't say F or "priority" and the TSA screener tried to get us into the regular tsa line before I iterated that we were in AS F. is that normal for the BP to not have any F mention because VX definitely has a F mention for tsa.
Just looked at my BP for this last Wednesday. I was in 1F in F on a 739. There is no mention of F on the BP that I can see.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Baze
Just looked at my BP for this last Wednesday. I was in 1F in F on a 739. There is no mention of F on the BP that I can see.
+1; my AS boarding passes never give any indication of being in first class other than the seat number.

Mobile boarding passes on my iPhone (the kind I nearly always use) do say "Priority Boarding" (whether I have my AS MVP Gold or AA Platinum number in the reservation) and, when I'm using my AS number, "MVP Gold". I don't know if that's based purely on status or if it can also get there based on class of service.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I know this one falls into the category of "fat chance," but does anyone have any positive experience with talking with an AS agent on the phone and getting what's now listed as a 30k direct mile flight for 25k? Until recently, it was 20k (when I had 18k miles), then ballooned to 30k. Even with some surge spending, I don't think I'll reach 30k by the time I need to book it at the end of this month.

This particular direct flight is not offered through any other carrier, and 1-stop is not a possibility for me this time.

Worse case, I can buy the $350 one-way ticket, but I'm really hoping to be able to use miles.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I know this one falls into the category of "fat chance," but does anyone have any positive experience with talking with an AS agent on the phone and getting what's now listed as a 30k direct mile flight for 25k? Until recently, it was 20k (when I had 18k miles), then ballooned to 30k. Even with some surge spending, I don't think I'll reach 30k by the time I need to book it at the end of this month.

This particular direct flight is not offered through any other carrier, and 1-stop is not a possibility for me this time.

Worse case, I can buy the $350 one-way ticket, but I'm really hoping to be able to use miles.
Pay the $350 much better deal than even 20K award. They cannot open lower award buckets. 30K is a refundable coach award which are last seat available. It means the same as no award space left. If you are paying 30K award select the option for MVP upgrade and if upgrade space is available (white F on blue background) it gets you instant upgrade to F (though no lounge access as it books into U).

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 6, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:39 pm

Hi all,
Is the LIFT act now in force? Flying tomorrow morning with Alaska and they've allocated my 6 and 9 year old random seats away from us - when I called they said I'd have to beg the gate agents, which I will, but...?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Avel
Hi all,
Is the LIFT act now in force? Flying tomorrow morning with Alaska and they've allocated my 6 and 9 year old random seats away from us - when I called they said I'd have to beg the gate agents, which I will, but...?
Specific rows are blocked until the gate for families and I've seen AS offer vouchers to get people to switch seats so family can seat together.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Avel
Hi all,
I thought you were able to pick your seats ahead of time with AS and VX? Is this not the case?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
I thought you were able to pick your seats ahead of time with AS and VX? Is this not the case?
My guess is all the free seats were taken so random seats were assigned.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:24 pm

Can I do a same-day change or standby to an earlier flight if it will violate my minimum connection time (what if I'm standing at the gate of the earlier flight)?

Details:
- LAX minimum connection time (International to Domestic) is 2 hours.
- I land at LAX at 6:10am (from LAN), and currently same-ticketed on Alaska 10am flight lax to seattle.
- There is an 8am flight which I'm not allowed to ticket due to MCT rules, but I'm confident I can catch it (no bags, business class, global entry etc). Will I be allowed to take this flight if I try to do same-day change online, or if I'm standing in front of the agent?

This is in first-class & MVP Gold so no issues regarding eligibility for same-day change, the only issue is that the 8am flight is a hair under MCT for LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.